Thread: Cutout or no?

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Cutout or no?

Guys, I can pickup a 3 inch cutout local for $20. I had one on my preheader setup and loved it, worried it might be too loud...yeah yeah I know no such thing right......with my headers/ORY/Hooker CB setup. Mods are in sig, with my heads cam setup and above exhaust setup how much HP is there to be picked up and more importantly, will it push my powerband at all from where it is now at 2500-6500 RPMs? TIA
    '00 Black Ram Air TA TR224/224 PRC 5.3 59cc Heads
    Pacesetter LT ORY Hooker CB 414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    BMR PHR, SFC,LCA & TM. Bilstein HD shocks 1LE FSB
    Firehawk Rims w/KDW Custom Headrests & Floormats

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

its just 20 bucks.. get it.

I like mine

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Well your car should be fairly loud as we speak so id still get the cut out, you should pick up a few HP easily with your set up, no doubt. I dont know about RWHP but your TQ will be pushed up a bit in your powerband but with all that power i dont think it will handicap you, lol. If i had to guess you would maybe pick up 15-25 RWHP with the mods you already have on a mild bolt on car ive heard you can easily pick up anywhere between 7-15 rwhp so who knows. Some people dont think cut outs give you any power and some will tell you it does, in my case i picked up 11 rwhp and 14 rwtq on my 93Z M6 when it was opened, that was with shorty headers, no cats, magnaflow catback, intake and tune. That was a few years back im sure i had other stuff meaning basic bolt ons, nothing done to the motor.

With my 01 Z im gonna install the headers and take it back on the dyno and for sure do a open cut out run and closed to see what i pick up, main problem i have is when i close it i cant put the tube on the cut out to measure A/F since thats where i do it from normally, not the best spot either.
    Last edited by karpetcm; 05-17-2009 at 08:15 PM.
    1993 Z28 M6: K&N Intake, 52mm TB, TB Bypass, No Cats, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.90 Gears, 160 Thermo, Tune, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3 Point SFC,s & MGW Shifter.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

hmmmmmm

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

Go for it! Get the electric motor from QTP so you dont have to manually remove plate! and you can close it when the cops are around.
    2002 Camaro Z28 Bolt ons, Flowmaster catback w/3" QTP electric cutout, Superchips tuned, Granatelli MAF, SLP cold air induction Lid & filter, ZEX powertune plugs, Taylor 10.4mm wires, 160 T-stat w/fan control, Eibach sportlines & BFG-KDW's on 17" SLP SS rims.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Cutout yes. I would prefer electric, for those times you want to be quite.... quickly.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Yea I have LT's, ORY with an SlP loud mouth and I would realy like to have a chambered exhaust with a electric cut out right about now. I have cops hunting for me at my daughters school because I have to drive through a snot nose subdivision to get to it and I'm and auto with a stall so It always seems that they are out there waiting for me to pull up. thank god for my truck. LOL I have someone on the inside now though. One of the teachers ask why they were there everyday and they said for a green sports car. Thats me. LOL she calls me and lets me know when they are there now cuz her hubbie is into older camaro's LOL gota love it.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    Yea I have LT's, ORY with an SlP loud mouth and I would realy like to have a chambered exhaust with a electric cut out right about now. I have cops hunting for me at my daughters school because I have to drive through a snot nose subdivision to get to it and I'm and auto with a stall so It always seems that they are out there waiting for me to pull up. thank god for my truck. LOL I have someone on the inside now though. One of the teachers ask why they were there everyday and they said for a green sports car. Thats me. LOL she calls me and lets me know when they are there now cuz her hubbie is into older camaro's LOL gota love it.
    Thats awesome.

Black
    2000 Z-28

Do it!!!

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Thats awesome.
    LOL yea it's getting a little old now but this has been going on for about 2 weeks and I just got stopped by the cop today (in my Truck) and he asked if I had a camaro with no exhaust and I told him I have an exhaust on it but it's a lound mouth and he told me just to try and stay off the gas when comming through the sub. I said no problem and left but LOL not with a stall. Thats going to be kinda tough.

black trans am

pm bill98ta and ask hiom about his car wash problem... im runing a set of 3 inch cut out and only issue is speed bumps and such....

now as far as hp goes u wont get much more un less u have a lot of over lap with ur camshaft with stock head and cam like my car i dont get any power outta it realy i think it takes power away un less the car tunes it self to it mine took 200 mi with it open and then i felt a power loss when i caped em up but not much

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by blackbirdbrain89 View Post
    pm bill98ta and ask hiom about his car wash problem... im runing a set of 3 inch cut out and only issue is speed bumps and such....

now as far as hp goes u wont get much more un less u have a lot of over lap with ur camshaft with stock head and cam like my car i dont get any power outta it realy i think it takes power away un less the car tunes it self to it mine took 200 mi with it open and then i felt a power loss when i caped em up but not much
    exhaust changes move the scavageing around alot..what i am sure you were/are feeling is the change in torque being moved up..but your hp gets a nice boost..its a give/take with a cut out ..my car acts a little funny when i am in the car wash and getting the underbody spray

Silver
    00 Formula Firehawk

Electric cutout FTW!

Silver
    00 Formula Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    Damn dude that sucks!

Thats why I went back to the SLP dual/dual setup the cops and the headaches from riding awhile in my car. People used to look at me like I was crazy when my car was nascar loud. With a electric cutout you can have the best of both worlds with the flip of the switch.

black trans am

or just stop being lasy and un bolt 6 bolts and save 350 bucks or more and i know i scrape ever where and imp it would be 350 bucks lost in a few weeks due to speed bump

Silver
    00 Formula Firehawk

or just stop being lasy and un bolt 6 bolts and save 350 bucks or more and i know i scrape ever where and imp it would be 350 bucks lost in a few weeks due to speed bump

But it is really cool to be able to have someone come up beside you at a light and rev up at you and you just flip the switch and unleash hell.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Thats why you pay for a good exhuast system that doesnt hang low as hell and why you dont mount the motor any were near 6 o'clock. Should not be scraping the cutout

Thread Information