Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

the cutout is in...

well today i put on my 3" cutout, but have a bit of a problem. My mechanic had to weld it in, but in order to fit it he had to slide the exhaust out a bit. Now the tips came out another 2-3" and the pipes seem to be a bit lose. They make a noise and rattle when u go over a bump, but they have never done this before. I think one of the pipes is a little off the clamp because the exhaust had to be moved back a bit. Any1 have this problem?

'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

Sounds like you need to go back and have them look at it or rework it so it doesn't rattle.

I welded mine all up. ;-)

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

yeah, i got to the bottom of it. Found out that a bolt came lose and the whole exhaust rattled. Got new clamps and bolts

'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

Yeah !!!!! Good show !!!!!

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Well, your mechanic should have removed the three inches of extra piping because he was basically adding length to it by adding the cutout. Sounds to me like all he did was cut it and insert it. He should have removed a section of pipe to replace with the cutout.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post
    Well, your mechanic should have removed the three inches of extra piping because he was basically adding length to it by adding the cutout. Sounds to me like all he did was cut it and insert it. He should have removed a section of pipe to replace with the cutout.
    That's what it sounds like to me. Some mechanics can be totale dipshits

'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

Yep, one more cut ... 45 secs with sawsall .... Doh !!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Where did he put the cutout, the Intermediate pipe? I ask because I want to do this soon, and I want to make sure I order the right size. I noticed you said 3"....is that the size I should order, regardless of location?

Thanks!

'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Where did he put the cutout, the Intermediate pipe? I ask because I want to do this soon, and I want to make sure I order the right size. I noticed you said 3"....is that the size I should order, regardless of location?

Thanks!

Gosh, I'm pretty sure it's three inch cut out. I'll measure it when I get a chance. I'm on my way out not. I think the reasoning was the 2-3/4" piping fit inside the 3" so there would not be any restriction. I'll look at that and post some pictures maybe tonight or tomorrow if I can squeeze it in.

Best

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Thanks man, I really appreciate it.

Great looking Formy, btw!

'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

OK, So closer inspection reveals that we used a 3" OD Header extention piece. You can buy almost anywhere. It was better to do it this way. Below are the pictures I took today. It's a pretty straight shot. Yes, it dips over the rear axle but there isn't any sharp corners until it make the rt angle turn into hooker cermanic aero chamber. The aero chamber is pretty free flowing ... but the cut out take all those extra bends right out of the equation.

You have to tack weld the bolts in and make a block off plate. At least we did instead of searching and buying one. I think you can purchase block off plates for like $10. The Header extention piece is like 14.95 with the flange ring. ;-)

If your not a welder. You'll have to get a muffler shop to do this for you.
    Last edited by Mecinoid; 10-27-2007 at 06:51 PM.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post

Thanks!
    3" will work just fine, most people put it in the I pipe right befor the axle. Tucks up nicely.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

I was going to do the same thing and after discussing it with the pro. You add almost nothing in the way of back pressure to take that one last small bend and put your cut out where you can unbolt it easily. In the intermediate pipe, especially if you have a lowered car it's hard to uncap it. You can drive the car up on a curb to make it a bit easier if you need to.

Does anyone have picture of theirs in the intermediate pipe? How do you unbolt it? Is it fairly easy to get to if you kick out under the passenger's seat?

Ideally, a QTP's electric cut out in the intermediate pipe is the best solution. That way you
    do not even have to unbolt it ... just flip a switch.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mecinoid View Post
    I was going to do the same thing and after discussing it with the pro. You add almost nothing in the way of back pressure to take that one last small bend and put your cut out where you can unbolt it easily. In the intermediate pipe, especially if you have a lowered car it's hard to uncap it. You can drive the car up on a curb to make it a bit easier if you need to.

Does anyone have picture of theirs in the intermediate pipe? How do you unbolt it? Is it fairly easy to get to if you kick out under the passenger's seat?

Ideally, a QTP's electric cut out in the intermediate pipe is the best solution. That way you
    do not even have to unbolt it ... just flip a switch.

Dont get me wrong i think where you have it is a great idea. I was just thinking why didnt i think of that. I dont have any pics but its easy to unbolt, i dont even have to get under the car, just reach under and i have 3 wing nuts holding my cap on, although ever since i put it in i have never closed it. Mp's love it. lol

'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

Kewl, that's what I was wondering. Was just thinking if I was to uncap on the street it would be easier and then I wouldn't have to worry about giving someone a hot foot. Lol !!!

It's all good !!!!

Thread Information