White
    98 Trans am

Crazy Sensor Problem!!! :help:

This is a bit of a long story but I have to describe the details to see if anyone might have a suggestion so bear with me...

Over the last year I have had a problem with my engine coolant sensor fouling up on me and the ses light coming on when the weather reaches the 100 degree mark in the summer, about 1 out of 10 times I drive my gauge shuts off after several times of it shutting of the engine light pops up I don't have the exact code but I was told it was a code for the engine coolant sensor, I replaced the sensor last summer and it didn't help it cooled down for winter it stopped acting up, beginning of July this year started again about 5 days ago I disconnected the battery to get rid of the ses light since then my coolant gauge has not worked at all but the service engine light has not come on yet...

None of it makes any sense, I suppose it would be cheap and easy enough to try another sensor otherwise I can assume it may be a wiring or computer problem I just wanted to know if anyone has ever seen this before or has any suggestions... I have been around f-bodies for a long time and this one has thrown me for a loop here

ohh it's an 02 m4 ws-6 w/73k miles btw
    Last edited by skinypuppy; 07-19-2011 at 09:17 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

need a little more info....what coolant sensor are you referring too? The coolant level sensor or the coolant temp sensor? What code are you getting? What does your antifreeze look like and have you done any work that would've required you to take any coolant hoses off the car anywhere and introduce air into the systme? Such as for the coolant bypass mod or anything? The fact your gauge is acting up makes me think you're talking about the temp sensor in the head above the #1 cylinder. Have you checked the plug and wires going to that sensor to make sure it's not chaffed and shorting to ground? I would want to log the car and see exactly what your coolant temp sensor is showing to verify it isn't a gauge issue too.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Are you talking about the coolant sensor by the exhaust manifolds or headers? Also does your car rev irradically, like by itself? I dunno if this helps you at all but the coolant sensor by the headers was screwed up for me and the code popped up and it was the actual wiring to the sensor and the sensor that was bad. It was randomly revving by itself.

Need to post the code. Could be something else. Must be the ECT since he doesn't have a coolent level sensor. They're fairly cheap, I'd replace the sensor/look and the wiring and connector first.

White
    98 Trans am

Wow how did I miss that?!?! Coolant temp sensor sorry... as for the code I am an idiot I never got the code the person I had check it told me it was the temp sensor and I thought I had it figured out until i replaced it and as I said the code hasn't came back on yet, the coolant looks good and nothing has been worked on as far as the cooling system yet. You r right it is the sensor above the # 1 cylinder and u have a very good point I will take it to someone to have them check the actual gauge I am just still confused as to why the engine light would come on then but not now :/

White
    98 Trans am

everything is stock no mods other then slp exhaust and spings the gauge comes on for a few second after I start the car then drops to zero it did however work once today for the first time in a week and there seemed to be no flaw in the temp reading

Thread Information