Red
    1995 Pontiac Formula

Could this be a water pump problem?

Well, my car hasn't done this till about 2 days ago... My car actually starts right up now!!! Yay!!! That's beside the point.. But anyways, my car will get up to op temp, then while at a stop light, or parked it starts rising all the way to the red 260* I think?.. Then while I drive the temp drops back down to about 180*....
    1995 Formula M6- Red... Throttle body airfoil, K & N FIPK2, TB bypass

Red
    2000 Z28

Are your fans coming on?

Red
    1995 Pontiac Formula

Yessir

Red
    2000 Z28

If it's full of coolant, and there's no air in the cooling system, then it is probably the water pump. You might try changing the thermostat first though. I have seen them stick partially closed and cause a similar problem. Be sure you bleed all of the air out of your cooling system. I assume you have an LT1, and those can be a pain to purge the air out.

Red
    1995 Pontiac Formula

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy77611 View Post
    If it's full of coolant, and there's no air in the cooling system, then it is probably the water pump. You might try changing the thermostat first though. I have seen them stick partially closed and cause a similar problem. Be sure you bleed all of the air out of your cooling system. I assume you have an LT1, and those can be a pain to purge the air out.
    Yeah, it's full of coolant, I recently changed the T-stat about 2 weeks ago..

Awaiting Activation

White
    1998 Trans Am

Try letting the car run and remove the cap on the radiator, if there is any air in the system it will eventually work its way out. My car did the same thing at one time and i let it do that for about 5 mins and it droped back down to normal temp. Also might want to check the temp sensor connection.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Has it left any coolant on the ground?? An early sign of waterpump failure is coolant dripping from the weep hole at the bottom of the waterpump. If the bottom of the waterpump is wet with coolant, or you can see it dripping/collecting below the waterpump, it needs to be replaced.

If you don't see any coolant coming from the waterpump, you could try changing the thermostat first, it might be stuck closed. If you can, pick up a "failsafe" brand thermostat, they are designed to only stick "open" when they get worn out, instead of getting stuck closed and causing the engine to overheat.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 SGM
    Lid, Pro 5.0, WS6 Short Stick, LS7 Clutch, TB Bypass, Detroit TrueTrac, Poly Mounts, Bilstein Shocks, LS6 Intake, SFCs, CTS-V Brake Upgrade, STB, Nitto 555's. SS Longtube Headers and True Duals w/ H pipe and Magnaflows. Tuned by Harris Speed Works. 341.4WHP/346.1 lb/ft.

Red
    1995 Pontiac Formula

K, i'll try that.. I've let ti run before w/o the cap on before I put the new T-stat on their to get rid of any excess air.. But i'll do it again, and get a new t-stat, thnx for the help guys.. Oh and also, no coolant is leaking..

Thread Information