Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

The correct Y-Pipe

I have a 99 Z28 with a Magnaflow Cat-back exhaust. After looking at the stock Y-Pipe....it looks like it doesn't flow much at all (It's flattened from the factory). I would not like to do headers. So, I am looking for just an aftermarket Y-Pipe with Cats. I need cats b/c New Jersey has emissions testing and in my area, they do random inspections on the road (The cops will check your car for cats, tint, etc). Who offers Y-Pipes w/cats and where can I get them cheap. Thanks!

If leaving the exhaust manifolds on, the 'crushed' 'y' pipe will flow more then you can push through it. The muffler will be the stopping point on your system. Or stay stock and put in a power cut-out.
    Hawk
    2001 Firehawk looking
    for more power !

White
    1999 Camaro Z28

I went with stainless works y-pipe w/out the cats ($300). They also have one w/the cats but that costs about $500.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

I never seen anyone show a proven gain worth mentioning replacing the flattened pipe. It is flatter and wider so it doesn't reduce flow like you think. You have a 99 and the manifolds flow less than 01-02's, so the best money you could spend on exhaust and keep emissions friendly is some shorty headers and LS6 intake, you should see around a 15h.p gain with those 2 and all bolts up like stock and would be around $500 if you get the LS6 intake used on ebay etc. If you go get a custom Y and 2 high flow cats then your looking at around $350, so cost wise it isn't much of a savings and you would only see probably a 5 rwhp gain, all due to the cats.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Random tech has 2.5 in Y w/cats for around 500...and like rotwiler said get at least some shorties because 98-99 manifolds were more restrictive than 00-02. I'm having banging issues with my fabricated Y at WOT..so you might run into that. Thunder racing makes a bump stop rubber bracket for that though....so it says anyway.

Red
    2000 SS

There's a reason the Y-pipe is "flat"; to keep it from banging the underside of the car, and scraping the road. 227Hawk is right about the flow characteristics, and you need to take a look at NASCAR exhaust systems - theirs are "flat" too (to improve undercar aerodynamics). Rotwiler is correct about the manifolds.

I'm keeping mine the way it is, but considering a JetHot coating for those parts.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Where in Jersey do they stop you randomly and check for cats??

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

I've been stopped on Route 41 (Hurfville road) in Deptford - twice. It used to be on my way to work and Deptford does it alot in the summer. I also been stopped once in Washington township and once on Route 38 or 70 - around Cherry Hill I think.

White
    1999 Camaro Z28

I had nothing but trouble with my Stainless Works y-pipe and do not recommend them. Poor quality in my opinion. They wanted me to take it back off and modify myself!!

White/Silver
    1989 GTA 98 GTP coupe

Quote Originally Posted by BowtieFever
    I've been stopped on Route 41 (Hurfville road) in Deptford - twice. It used to be on my way to work and Deptford does it alot in the summer. I also been stopped once in Washington township and once on Route 38 or 70 - around Cherry Hill I think.

Wow they started doing that stuff down in southern nj now? I've been hearing up north and in central NJ.

Oh well, glad I moved from that area
    -98 GTP Coupe. Silvermist and stock.

-89 GTA*** L98, P1-SC, 24# SVO's, MSD 6-A, March underdrive pulleys, Edelbrock headers/catback and some other goodies.

~Tony

red
    2001 camaro z28

Y pipe

I installed a slp y pipe on a 01 made a bid differents on my car sounds better to.

i wouldnt waste your time or money with a y pipe without doing headers especially one with cats

00SilverTAWS6
    Do they fit up to the stock exhaust manifolds?

red
    2001 camaro z28

slp y pipe

Yes y pipe bolts up at stock location. Slp wouldnt sell them if they didn"t work. A good choice if you are not going with headers in the future.

Arctic White
    2001 Camaro SS

ive got the SLP y pipe for my 99. On 99 models, it has to be welded up on the passenger side. The fit on mine SUCKS, probably because of horrible welding. It hits the frame all the time and it was a complete waste of money for me because I am installing headers in a few months. If you want mine, $85 plus shipping ($181+SH from Summit). Only reason im charging that for it is because id like to get the stock one welded back up...dont have welding equipment. On the good side, I did notice more rumble from the exhaust, and a little improvement in low end torque. PM for details.
    Last edited by TwistedSS; 12-13-2005 at 07:21 PM.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

TwistedZ28

I think I am gonna stick with the stock Y-Pipe and exhaust manifolds (Atleast for now). Thanks for the offer though.

Arctic White
    2001 Camaro SS

No prob...PM me anytime if your interested though.

Thread Information