Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SOM
    2002 SS

COnvince me the stock lid is restrictive

ANyone have any pics? From what I can tell aftermarket lids are just that, the stock lid looks and fits better and just has a resonance chamber . Are there baffles inside or smaller diameter plastic tubing that i didn't see inside the stock lid?? anyone have pics??

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    ANyone have any pics? From what I can tell aftermarket lids are just that, the stock lid looks and fits better and just has a resonance chamber . Are there baffles inside or smaller diameter plastic tubing that i didn't see inside the stock lid?? anyone have pics??
    i cant recall, but there is an article that shows hp gains with an aftermarket lid. Im sure one of the mods knows the link.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I looked my stock lid and Helmholtz resonator over real good when I swapped over to the SLP unit. If you compare them side-by-side the differences are immediately apparent. The aftermarket lid was raised and lacked the internal baffling of the stock piece. It also provided a nice straight shot into the bellows, whereas the stock piece is flattened and clearly is more restrictive. The lid is a nice first addition though if you plan on other upgrades like headers and such. An engine is really just an air pump when you get right down to it and add ons, such as a lid, simply improve the efficiency of the pump.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Stock lids do not look better, but everyone has there opinion. The resonance chamber is what makes it restrictive. The aftermarket lids focus the airflow into the throttle body more efficient, thus giving some small gains in HP.

SOM
    2002 SS

I feel the stock lid just fills out the engine compartment better.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Trust me, get an aftermarket lid. It's proven HP at a stock level. Imagine the gains it creates on a modded car.

SOM
    2002 SS

Good to hear that there is some difference dimensionally. A lot of people forget that an engine sucks air not gets air pushed in by intakes. For that reason any resonance chamber (assuming there is no volume difference in the inlet diameter) only acts to reduce resonance frequencies in sound and also help smoothen any turbulent airflow into the maf for more accurate readings.

What got me thinking (finally eh) is the slp option for 345 hp or whatever. its just a lid ad is rated at a higher hp level by Gm which is something. If the lid in fact is higher and allows more air flow that is also something. Visually I could never see this in pictures.

In the end for $80 its probably something i'll kick myself for not doing sooner so I'm just going to order one anyways. WIth the Lts and ory and corsa I should have some minimal improvement over stock. Later this summer I'm going to add a cam and freshen the springs/pushrods and retainers etc so I'm hoping for a noticeable kick in the backside

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If you get an SLP lid, make sure the front lip sets behind the lip on the lower air box before you clamp it down. Also, it really helps to warm up the neck with a hairdryer to install the MAF. If you are also considering a new air filter, I would strongly recommend the Amsoil Ea air filter.

SOM
    2002 SS

probably been asked a zillion times and i plan to search it but does the slp lid fit the best? I would only assume so but based on their header reviews I'm not so confident it is. I have a K&N that I plan to re-use and also I have the Free ram air mod already done.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I'ts not just the lid. IDK about the rest of you but I opened up the base and cut out part of the plastic under it to allow for more airflow to the filter/lid itself.

Desides that, the resonators just look weird in a performance car. Don't get me wrong, I know why they're there, I just think they look strange.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

probably been asked a zillion times and i plan to search it but does the slp lid fit the best? I would only assume so but based on their header reviews I'm not so confident it is. I have a K&N that I plan to re-use and also I have the Free ram air mod already done.
    I have an MTI lid and it fit just as well as the stocker did.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

My SLP fit just fine and I have never had a problem with it coming unlatched. Check with Mark at KY Speed -- he had the best price when I ordered mine.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

you're better off not using a K&N due to the oil on them... but i have a SLP and it fits with no problems and hold tighly in place...

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

There was a article i read and ive been looking for it for the past few minutes and ofcourse i can find it now on the internet. They did a before and after install of a lid and got about 8 rwhp. Ive seen some lower and some higher but thats about right. Ill still look for it and see if i can find anything on it.

SOM
    2002 SS

thanks for the pic. I compared it with mine side by side and I guess its just the resonance chambers that cover up the front pullies that i liked. I guess I'll just have to do some searching on how to add ls6 frcs to spice things up. I sure hope the lid I get is taller than the stocker and I'll be checking out the base too to see what I can dremel up.

SOM
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    Click for full size
    For comparisons sake

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

hmmm...that is what stock looks like

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

thanks for the pic. I compared it with mine side by side and I guess its just the resonance chambers that cover up the front pullies that i liked. I guess I'll just have to do some searching on how to add ls6 frcs to spice things up. I sure hope the lid I get is taller than the stocker and I'll be checking out the base too to see what I can dremel up.
    that is the part i hated... it got in the way of any kind of work i had to do...

also on the stock lid there are baffles inside of it... on after market ones they are smooth and allow far more air flow...

but there are engine dress kits out there to make things look pretty as well... i'm sure you could find something to your liking...

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    that is the part i hated... it got in the way of any kind of work i had to do...

also on the stock lid there are baffles inside of it... on after market ones they are smooth and allow far more air flow...

but there are engine dress kits out there to make things look pretty as well... i'm sure you could find something to your liking...
    engine dress up adds weight...not a fan personally but to each is there own

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    hmmm...that is what stock looks like
    perfect

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information