midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

Confused about exhaust

So I been looking for an after market exhaust and I like the Borla products. i see the full exhaust for 800-900 and I start to hear about the xr-1 mufflers. Checked em out and they look and sound pretty dam good.

The price of a xr-1 muffler is between 200-300

Would I see a huge benefit of the full exhaust over just adding a xr-1 muffler to my stock setup? Is it much more cost effective to piece togther a exhaust or just buy the full kit. If that's the case would straight pipes be the way to go?

I do not needing nothing insanely loud, just something that sounds good and better then stock.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

When I purchased my Magnaflow catback, I laid the stock system and Magnaflow on the floor side by side to compare them. I really can't say that there was a great difference between the two:

My understanding is that you'll pick up a few horsepower at best. There may be greater gains from the exhaust swap with H/C/I or forced induction though. If nothing else, it will certainly sound better than the stock system.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

you will not feel a difference in power by doing exhaust (cat back) , now if you plan to do headers thats a different story.

most shops will cut your stock catback off and piece you together a new cat back with stainless piping and the muffler and tips of your choice, i think its a better way to go rather than buying a complete catback kit

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

+1 for piecing it together. Unless you are really just looking for a new sound I would not mess with it until you get some Headers. Otherwise you'll just be spending money twice.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Just buy an aftermarket muffler if you want a beefy sound. I did that years ago when i first got my formula.
    Get a hooker muffler, it has a nice tone to it.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

^^^agreed, Hooker muffler is really one of the best mufflers ive put on my z.

pitch black
    1998 cherokee classic

are true duals cat back systems?

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee View Post
    +1 for piecing it together. Unless you are really just looking for a new sound I would not mess with it until you get some Headers. Otherwise you'll just be spending money twice.
    how if you buy a catback now, and headers later, are you spending money twice? you can use the cat back with the new headers.

and to the OP, unless youre planning on running true duals, just get yourself a nice cat back and be done with it. piecing in an xr-1 into your stock setup is a waste in my opinion. most people go with magnaflow catback for sound, and price. if you have the money to spend i say go with GMMG chambered. best sounding catback in my opinion. and get rid of your stock y-pipe, that thing is a pos. and straight pipes will sound like a dump truck, loud, obnoxious and raspy.

In need of another LS1 00blacktransam112's Avatar

Black
    2000 Pontiac TA

Quote Originally Posted by zzzws6zzz View Post
    are true duals cat back systems?
    yes but they dont usually run where the stock pipe did. they run under the car instead of in the tunnel. Bassani makes a true dual kit but its f'in expensive... like $1100.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    how if you buy a catback now, and headers later, are you spending money twice? you can use the cat back with the new headers.
    Well if you take into account that a cat back is designed around a stock y coming from cats, I think it is easy to see that if you put a set of Long tubes on that have collectors that come under your seats your cat back is not going to work unless you pay someone to make it work. Maybe it will match up maybe it won't, in my personal expierence things did not match up.

So if he pays an exhaust shop to do the work both times, he spent money twice.

I can see that he could put the cat back on himself and then would not need to spend the money..

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee View Post
    Well if you take into account that a cat back is designed around a stock y coming from cats, I think it is easy to see that if you put a set of Long tubes on that have collectors that come under your seats your cat back is not going to work unless you pay someone to make it work. Maybe it will match up maybe it won't, in my personal expierence things did not match up.

So if he pays an exhaust shop to do the work both times, he spent money twice.

I can see that he could put the cat back on himself and then would not need to spend the money..
    what!? cat backs are from the y-pipe back. they dont include the y. so yes, buying any cat back will work with new headers and y-pipe.

and if he spends money to have a new muffler installed thats the same thing....

just get yourself the catback you want and be done with it
    Last edited by mpfranks; 11-27-2009 at 12:40 PM.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

and... another reason products like borla are expensive for the complete system is because nice stainless tips are expensive. those borla tips are over $200 each, so theres your difference in price from just swapping the muffler. cuz if you cant tell, swapping catback and swapping mufflers is essentially the same thing, just no cutting required.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by knightryda01 View Post
    So I been looking for an after market exhaust and I like the Borla products. i see the full exhaust for 800-900 and I start to hear about the xr-1 mufflers. Checked em out and they look and sound pretty dam good.

The price of a xr-1 muffler is between 200-300

Would I see a huge benefit of the full exhaust over just adding a xr-1 muffler to my stock setup? Is it much more cost effective to piece togther a exhaust or just buy the full kit. If that's the case would straight pipes be the way to go?

I do not needing nothing insanely loud, just something that sounds good and better then stock.
    You could:

$300 headers
    $100 or so for Y-pipe
    $50 dollars for spiral flow muffler

It's just an open Y pipe w/muffler basically, but it sounds pretty decent and you'll show some good gains.

Thread Information