Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Clicking after LT install

Ok Ive searched and still cant find my problem, Im guessing its my cheap ebay headers but anyways...Im getting a ticking/clicking sound from the driver side from the back of the header(closest to interior). On both driver and pass header the stock bolt in that location would not thread all the way in so I got a shorter bolt with some lock washers and tightened it up. I replaced the stock gasket with a Felpro metal gasket and still no luck. I replaced my plugs, put sleeves on my wires and still cant fix this dam leak. It only come from the driver side as well. Any thoughts on what else I could try or what i should do?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by One_Bad_TA View Post
    Ok Ive searched and still cant find my problem, Im guessing its my cheap ebay headers but anyways...Im getting a ticking/clicking sound from the driver side from the back of the header(closest to interior). On both driver and pass header the stock bolt in that location would not thread all the way in so I got a shorter bolt with some lock washers and tightened it up. I replaced the stock gasket with a Felpro metal gasket and still no luck. I replaced my plugs, put sleeves on my wires and still cant fix this dam leak. It only come from the driver side as well. Any thoughts on what else I could try or what i should do?
    Have you tried brand new GM gaskets? That is the best tried and true way to prevent leaks on headers. Aftermarket header gaskets = problems

You could also try to retap the hole, but the rearmost one is hard to work on with the motor in the car. If you can get the recommended torque on the shorter bolt you should be OK.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Felpro is stock GM MLS replacement so he is good to go there. Might be that your headers flanges are warped. Hence the bolt going in not as far.

Silver
    00 Formula Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Felpro is stock GM MLS replacement so he is good to go there. Might be that your headers flanges are warped. Hence the bolt going in not as far.
    That is the more likely problem. I have seen that time and time again with cheaper headers. You have to take them to a machine shop and get them milled untill they are true.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Yea Im thinking its the flanges, but I figured since I got a bolt in and tightened maybe it would solve it, guess not. Could I perhaps double up the gaskets to help tighten the seal?

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Yea Im thinking its the flanges, but I figured since I got a bolt in and tightened maybe it would solve it, guess not. Could I perhaps double up the gaskets to help tighten the seal?
    I don't knwo if you can do that or not.

but i have the same headers and I had the ticking sound too. It ended up being two things.

first one is that i am a dumb ass and didn't tighten the last spark plug all the way

The second was on the flange there was a metal burr that I had to knock off after that the flange hugged the block and now im good.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    I don't knwo if you can do that or not.

but i have the same headers and I had the ticking sound too. It ended up being two things.

first one is that i am a dumb ass and didn't tighten the last spark plug all the way

The second was on the flange there was a metal burr that I had to knock off after that the flange hugged the block and now im good.
    Hmmm...was that on the rear of the header like I mentioned? Maybe we have the same ones and Ill have to check that

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Hmmm...was that on the rear of the header like I mentioned? Maybe we have the same ones and Ill have to check that
    it was on the rear of the header on the d/s

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I agree with ya SS1. I have herd numerous header gasket problems. Every solution involved using/reusing the factory gaskets. Solved the problem.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I agree with ya SS1. I have herd numerous header gasket problems. Every solution involved using/reusing the factory gaskets. Solved the problem.
    that is what i did

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Well Im at a loss. I doubled up the gasket and now I cant get the very back bolt in on the driver side. The bolt began to tighten but now it just feels stripped out. I did not see any metal burrs on the flange and the flange itself looked pretty straight...I have no clue what to do now. And I dropped my 10 mm socket and cant find it!
    Last edited by One_Bad_TA; 06-03-2009 at 07:11 PM.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Well Im at a loss. I doubled up the gasket and now I cant get the very back bolt in on the driver side. The bolt began to tighten but now it just feels stripped out. I did not see any metal burrs on the flange and the flange itself looked pretty straight...I have no clue what to do now. And I dropped my 10 mm socket and cant find it!
    Did you try running to the dealership and buy a new bolt for the headers. I had to do that for one of them b/c I am a dumbass and lost one during the install i think it was about 2 bucks

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    Did you try running to the dealership and buy a new bolt for the headers. I had to do that for one of them b/c I am a dumbass and lost one during the install i think it was about 2 bucks
    Ive got the header bolt I just dropped my socket lol. But for some reason I cant get that very back bolt in. Well I can turn it a few times with my hand then it will just stop tightening. I dont know what the problem is.

Thread Information