Thread: Christmas List

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

Christmas List

I was lookin at headers today and my parents arent gonna let me buy them. So I am trying to make a list of everything that would be needed for headers. (ex. longtubes, ypipe)

So what all do I need so that I'm not throwing codes. I'm talking full setup with electric cutout, price is an issue, I want cheap but good, thinkin pacesetter but I dont know what all I'm gonna need.

Blazen Orange Metallic
    2006 GTO

Pacesetters are good and come with everything you need, other than the y or x-pipe. You'll throw codes unless you get it tuned or get 02 sensors.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

What about my cats?

Midnight Blue
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel P. View Post
    What about my cats?
    Cats are going to be optional to you, depending on if you need your car smogged or not, how loud you want your car to be, etc. Removal of them is as simple as was mentioned in Kamauxx's post and getting the car tuned to remove any unwanted codes.

BTW, if your avatar is a pic of your car, I like the skirt kit on it, what brand/model is it?

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Cats are going to be optional to you, depending on if you need your car smogged or not, how loud you want your car to be, etc. Removal of them is as simple as was mentioned in Kamauxx's post and getting the car tuned to remove any unwanted codes.

BTW, if your avatar is a pic of your car, I like the skirt kit on it, what brand/model is it?
    He could also gut the cats. Just food for thought.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Pacesetter lt's "Ceramic coated" = 370$
    Pacesetter Ory "eliminates cats"= 129$
    New Gm metal Exhaust gaskets = 15$
    02 sensor wiring extensions "2 Required" = 40$
    02 sims 2 required so check engine light doesnt come on = 70ish $
    Or computer tune = 300$
    Manual cutout= 25$
    Electric cutout= 200$
    The above prices are guesstimates, just parts, labor varies from state to state.
    Although the intail isnt difficult at all and you can run a search and find many threads on the instail.
    You can go either tune or 02 sims, some say the sims fail often but I had mine in for a year with no issues.
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Assuming you do the work yourself,

Pacesetter LTs w/ catted y-pipe +/- $700 (OR Pacesetter LTs w/ no cats y-pipe +/- $500), 2 new GM metal gaskets (#12558573 is the old ones, I think the new ones are #12600530) +/-$30.

If you don't have to pass emissions and choose the no cats route, you'll need to plan on tricking the o2 sensor http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93604 or getting it tuned out. Sims are an option, but most tuners will charge about the same price ($70)as sims to tune them out. Sims can fail, and some never work in the first place for some cars. You'll find failures searching on any of the LS1 forums. Tricking the rear o2s is cheap, and will last until you're able to get a tune.

If headers are your last mod for a while, consider getting a dyno tune. A dyno tune will maximize your header gains, and they can tune out your rear o2s, delete torque management, adjust shift pressures and stuff like that while they're in there. Dyno tuning varies shop to shop, and area by area. Around here they charge $150/hr, and it takes them about 2 hours for a decent tune.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

well I got a big job the next three wekends which will grose me close to a $1000 and the parents say i can use it on headers, their deal was if I have enough money for headers I got enough for them to not help me with my college education.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

what would be the best site sponsor to go through for the pacesetter longtubes etc.?

Wow I just seen this from our sponsor is this a good deal or what?

http://www.neweraperformanceparts.com/default.asp?S=503&A=E&PKV=psls1hc|0

http://www.neweraperformanceparts.com/default.asp?S=503&A=E&PKV=psls1y|0

http://www.neweraperformanceparts.com/default.asp?S=503&A=E&PKV=qtpeco|0

So I cant use my old cats?
    Its 300 miles or so to a tune shop, can I run with it just throwing codes for a while till I get to a shop?
    Or where can I get reliable sims?
    Is this all I would need besides the gaskets?
    My uncle owns a Napa/used carlot/ garage and I will help him put them on with his lift.
    Last edited by Daniel P.; 09-25-2007 at 10:19 PM.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel P. View Post
    So I cant use my old cats?
    Its 300 miles or so to a tune shop, can I run with it just throwing codes for a while till I get to a shop?
    Or where can I get reliable sims?
    Is this all I would need besides the gaskets?
    My uncle owns a Napa/used carlot/ garage and I will help him put them on with his lift.
    Your old cats come off your exhaust manifold and bend to go under your firewall. Your headers will replace where they go, and they would need to be completely reworked to be used. It could be done I'm sure if someone were willing to take the time to, but usually no one does. Most either go without cats or use aftermarket cats. Aftermarket high flow cats usually flow better anyway.

Sims are junk IMO. They are a part that can/will wear out. Some people have good luck with them, some do not. The best way is to get someone to tune out the rear o2 sensors. You can trick them until then like this http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93604 . Sims cost about $70, this is about $10. Headers, y-pipe, high flow cats/modified stock cats/no cats, header gaskets, and some anti sieze for the pipe joints should be all that is required. Then whatever you do to the rear o2, tune/trick/sims.

Headers are fairly easy to install. Here's a guide http://www.geocities.com/foff667/98Camaropg4.html that might help.

Thread Information