Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

cherry bomb mufflers

any one have have em? if so are you happy?

White/Silver
    1989 GTA 98 GTP coupe

Yeeeee-hawwwww
    -98 GTP Coupe. Silvermist and stock.

-89 GTA*** L98, P1-SC, 24# SVO's, MSD 6-A, March underdrive pulleys, Edelbrock headers/catback and some other goodies.

~Tony

I started laughing so hard at these thread responces because I immediately thought of a redneck in a beat up truck also!.
    Those are out-dated. Not a good sound for an ls1, not really performance orientated.

Got passenger window problems?
    http://www.autotrix.net
    **Window Express Down Modules now availible**
    http://www.autotrix.net/products.html

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by ichliebecamaro View Post
    any one have have em? if so are you happy?
    wtf are they?

98' trans am

well why are they for red knecks? and why do they suck? just shitty mufflers?

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Exclamation

I hear they are as good as 'PURPLE HORNIES'.....[I am not joking..they are called that]
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

White/Silver
    1989 GTA 98 GTP coupe

If the cherry bombs don't work well go with the next best thing...glasspacks

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by KageSS View Post
    Rednecks love the farting sound they make, they suck cause they suck and a big fat YES for the last one, shady.

Now get your ass back on the train boy.
    lol

ok i was just wonderin cuz my dad had em on his 65 lemans when was in high school and i didnt know i was gonna get em im gettin slp lm 2 but i was curious

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

arnt they like 15.00 at kragens

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Glasspacks are for people who like tickets for noise violations.
    Stick with a traditional catback and go LM2.
    Or longtubes with true-duals dumped before the axle.

Pewter
    2000 WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by NHRAMAN View Post
    I hear they are as good as 'PURPLE HORNIES'.....[I am not joking..they are called that]
    LMFAO...How old are you man? My old man had a set of purple hornies on a '69 Camaro when I was a kid, they were bolted straight to the headers. He thought they were the coolest thing ever.

I'll tell ya though, that car was a 396 SS w/a 4-speed, man it was fast.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

after all the glasspack shit melts out / burns they pretty much turn into a LM

Limited Edition #1242
    2002 Camaro SS LE

History lesson boys and girls: You are refrerring to a Glasspack , aka a Cherry Bomb , aka a bullet, aka Purple Hornies aka.... You get the idea.

The SLP Loudmouth I and II have this very strange resemblance... could they be .... In fact, other than some slight modifications to the Loudmouths... they appear to be nothing more than.... a Glasspack.

Glasspack: basically a oversize tube with baffles drilled within a inner core in order to discipate noise in an otherwise straight exhaust system. The only way to make it louder back in the sixties was to go "straight pipe". Yep, no muffler at all.

There are still a few of us that remember that "performance" muffler. Yes it was loud and yes it sounded cool, becuase it was the closest thing you get to running open headers on the street! Running a straight pipe setup sounded cool too, but you wouldn't get many races sitting on the side of the road while the cop wrote you a ticket and you had to have your car hauled home becuase you couldn't drive it.

LMs are the 21st century's version of our old Glasspacks... Except, ours were louder!!
    Mike

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

^

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Thorazine Shuffle View Post
    LMFAO...How old are you man? My old man had a set of purple hornies on a '69 Camaro when I was a kid, they were bolted straight to the headers. He thought they were the coolest thing ever.

I'll tell ya though, that car was a 396 SS w/a 4-speed, man it was fast.
    I am in my 40's...there is a 440 Dart around running high 10's with them...thing actually sounds okay...VERY LOUD....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SPECOPS94 View Post
    History lesson boys and girls: You are refrerring to a Glasspack , aka a Cherry Bomb , aka a bullet, aka Purple Hornies aka.... You get the idea.

The SLP Loudmouth I and II have this very strange resemblance... could they be .... In fact, other than some slight modifications to the Loudmouths... they appear to be nothing more than.... a Glasspack.

Glasspack: basically a oversize tube with baffles drilled within a inner core in order to discipate noise in an otherwise straight exhaust system. The only way to make it louder back in the sixties was to go "straight pipe". Yep, no muffler at all.

There are still a few of us that remember that "performance" muffler. Yes it was loud and yes it sounded cool, becuase it was the closest thing you get to running open headers on the street! Running a straight pipe setup sounded cool too, but you wouldn't get many races sitting on the side of the road while the cop wrote you a ticket and you had to have your car hauled home becuase you couldn't drive it.

LMs are the 21st century's version of our old Glasspacks... Except, ours were louder!!
    Mike
    Finally, someone that actually remembers glasspacks and what they were in their hay day. Everyone renamed them "bullet" mufflers and all of the sudden they're a godsend.
    I had a set on an old cutlass when I was in high school. 12" glasspacks with small exhaust ( don't remember the size but 2" or less) and when I hit "passing gear" ( another term that probably needs explained ) it would damn near bust out the windows of the car I was passing. I remember everyone would cruise around and get everything nice and hot then go to a car wash and spray water up the tail pipes to bust the glass to make them louder. Did it work? No idea, they were already loud as hell to begin with.

next weeks auto history lesson: Flipping the lid over on the air cleaner, the original cold air intake.

Pewter
    2000 WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Finally, someone that actually remembers glasspacks and what they were in their hay day. Everyone renamed them "bullet" mufflers and all of the sudden they're a godsend.
    I had a set on an old cutlass when I was in high school. 12" glasspacks with small exhaust ( don't remember the size but 2" or less) and when I hit "passing gear" ( another term that probably needs explained ) it would damn near bust out the windows of the car I was passing. I remember everyone would cruise around and get everything nice and hot then go to a car wash and spray water up the tail pipes to bust the glass to make them louder. Did it work? No idea, they were already loud as hell to begin with.

next weeks auto history lesson: Flipping the lid over on the air cleaner, the original cold air intake.
    Nothing like hearing that big ol' Q-Jet Roar when you flip the lid...

Green

I had straight pipes with cherry bombs on my 82 Silverado if that tells you anything

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Go ahead and wake up the entire trailer park if you want.

Thread Information