Awaiting Activation

Ceramic coated vs. stainless steel headers

How long do lt headers with ceramic coating last? Im scared that in a few years they will rust and i will need new ones. Has anyone one here had them on for a long time?
    I was considering full stainless exhaust. stainless steel lt headers, borla y-pipe, and borla exhaust. That way i would hopefully never have to think about my exhaust again. Anyone have any recomendations for stainless steel headers?
    Last edited by 99blueZ; 05-30-2006 at 08:53 AM.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

I don't think anyone can answer how long a ceramic coated headers will last. Too many variables in the equation. However, being that you are in Chicago your ceramic coated headers wouldn't last as long as somebody elses here in North Texas. Not much snow means not much salt. Coupled with a really dry climate. Just remember that you get what you pay for. Pacesetters are cheap but they won't last as long as Kooks or Dynomax stainless. Plus the welds, fit, and finish are always in question when you go cheap. Header flange thickness is something else that comes to mind also. Keep in mind how long you plan to keep your ride too when shoveling out the coin. Headers are definitely not gonna make the car worth more. So in certain cases going cheap is the right choice.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

ceramic will last quite a long time. i dont drive my car in winter so that helps a lot also.

Awaiting Activation
    Thanks Huskerz1. I do plan on keeping my car forever so i guess i shouldn't go cheap. I guess i'll wait and save for probably kooks stainless. Is is worth it too get the ceramic coating if they are already stainless? And what should i get:

1998-2002 Kooks 1 3/4" Longtube Headers - Stainless
    1998-2002 Kooks 1 3/4"- 1 7/8" STEP - Longtube Headers - Stainless 1998-2002 Kooks 1 7/8" Longtube Headers - Stainless

Is thicker better i assume?

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ
    Thanks Huskerz1. I do plan on keeping my car forever so i guess i shouldn't go cheap. I guess i'll wait and save for probably kooks stainless. Is is worth it too get the ceramic coating if they are already stainless? And what should i get:

1998-2002 Kooks 1 3/4" Longtube Headers - Stainless
    1998-2002 Kooks 1 3/4"- 1 7/8" STEP - Longtube Headers - Stainless 1998-2002 Kooks 1 7/8" Longtube Headers - Stainless

Is thicker better i assume?
    Unless your gonna get a big cam with heads, nitrous, or a Vortec or something along that nature the 1 3/4 LT's will do you fine. The thickness of the flange will be the same for both sizes. 1 3/4 primaries all the way to the collector. The stepped means that the primaries start off at 1 3/4 and open up to 1 7/8 to the collector. I haven't heard of a ceramic coated stainless header. BTW I have found Kooks as cheap as $775. But that was from a speed shop here. Try to get TSP to match as best they can. They are pretty good to work with.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerz1
    I don't think anyone can answer how long a ceramic coated headers will last. Too many variables in the equation. However, being that you are in Chicago your ceramic coated headers wouldn't last as long as somebody elses here in North Texas. Not much snow means not much salt. Coupled with a really dry climate. Just remember that you get what you pay for. Pacesetters are cheap but they won't last as long as Kooks or Dynomax stainless. Plus the welds, fit, and finish are always in question when you go cheap. Header flange thickness is something else that comes to mind also. Keep in mind how long you plan to keep your ride too when shoveling out the coin. Headers are definitely not gonna make the car worth more. So in certain cases going cheap is the right choice.
    while pacesetters are not the most expensive headers, they are far from cheap.
    i dont think you have ever seen the flanges or welds on a pacesetter.
    me and a few locals here from CHICAGO have pacesetters on our cars and the flange is nice and the welds are top notch.

will the headers rust with time, yes. will it take a long time for them to rust threw, also yes.
    my old 1981 Z/28 had uncoated cyclone headers on it for over 5 years and they never rusted threw.
    that car was a daily driver summer or winter.
    Last edited by nhraformula; 05-30-2006 at 05:12 PM.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I got some ceramic coated Macs back in 01. The finish has held up very well. There is some rust down at the bottom by the collector but thats it. Ive seen other headers like my friends FLPs that are rusting and flaking everywhere. Crapshoot I guess but I hear the Jethot coatings aren't what they use to be. Personally for stainless I think the QTPs are bye far nicer than the Kooks in every category. QTPs are now fully polished to boot. Kooks are ugly imo.

Thread Information