Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

Cats for emissions

OK, I knew this was going to come but i'm trying to prep early so I don't wait till the last minute. I have an ORY pipe, and my emissions are going to come up in July. My question is in order to pass, would I be able to install 1 cat after the Y just to pass? Or would I need a proper catted Y to pass? Just wondering if I could do 1 and save some money rather than buy a whole new pipe. I have LT's in case it matters. I'm also looking into finding a friend to 'help', not sure if I'll have luck with that though

Quote Originally Posted by BirdCountry02 View Post
    OK, I knew this was going to come but i'm trying to prep early so I don't wait till the last minute. I have an ORY pipe, and my emissions are going to come up in July. My question is in order to pass, would I be able to install 1 cat after the Y just to pass? Or would I need a proper catted Y to pass? Just wondering if I could do 1 and save some money rather than buy a whole new pipe. I have LT's in case it matters. I'm also looking into finding a friend to 'help', not sure if I'll have luck with that though
    Any engine lights on? If not you should be good.

Other wise get a catted y

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Have you read through this yet?

http://www.virims.com/index.php

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    Any engine lights on? If not you should be good.

Other wise get a catted y
    Yeah, I do right now but thats because I deleted the rear 02 sensor. I'm trying to decide, but I think I may just look into trading my ORY with someone who has a catted Y for the time being

Quote Originally Posted by Blue28 View Post
    Have you read through this yet?

http://www.virims.com/index.php
    Uhhh... I looked through it, but it was kinda confusing for me. Is it saying you can get a waiver for your car if you fail emissions, like you won't need it? Only thing is it's 725 even if I read it right

Yeah, I do right now but thats because I deleted the rear 02 sensor. I'm trying to decide, but I think I may just look into trading my ORY with someone who has a catted Y for the time being

Uhhh... I looked through it, but it was kinda confusing for me. Is it saying you can get a waiver for your car if you fail emissions, like you won't need it? Only thing is it's 725 even if I read it right
    Catted Y or a tune

I'd do both the catted Y and a tune. Keep the off road Y, and switch back and forth if you wish.
    I don't have testing where I live so I stick with the offroad Y's, but if I had testing, I'd do exactly as I listed above. Keeps the wear and tear off the converters so you don't have to worry about replacing them every few years. Actually would save some coin in the long run.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Where in virginia do you live? Up in Northern VA as long as you pass the computer test they don't check under the car. So you should be fine. Might check your emissions but as long as you aren't running rich you should be good I would think.

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    Catted Y or a tune
    This is what I thought i'd need to do to pass. Just seeing if there's a cheaper, easier way rather than buy a whole new pipe

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Where in virginia do you live? Up in Northern VA as long as you pass the computer test they don't check under the car. So you should be fine. Might check your emissions but as long as you aren't running rich you should be good I would think.
    Are you sure? I live in Woodbridge VA and it seems like they're extremely strict about emissions/inspection stuff. So if I got a tune, your saying it might pass since they don't check? Reason i'm asking all this is cause I thought they hook up a sniffer and test the oxygen levels and all

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

This is what I thought i'd need to do to pass. Just seeing if there's a cheaper, easier way rather than buy a whole new pipe

Are you sure? I live in Woodbridge VA and it seems like they're extremely strict about emissions/inspection stuff. So if I got a tune, your saying it might pass since they don't check? Reason i'm asking all this is cause I thought they hook up a sniffer and test the oxygen levels and all
    I live in Burke, VA and I am pretty sure they don't even check what is under the car, so a tune would probably make you pass. I am also pretty sure all they do is the OBDII test and as long as you pass that they don't go any further. You could always just get some high flow cats as an extra precaution though if you are unsure.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

If there's not a visual inspection, just send the computer to Frost. He does fast work and you'll only be out a few days.
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

Thread Information