Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Question Catch Can Question

My search forum tool is not working, so forgive me. I'm sure there is at least one thread about this. I just can't find or access it. I have noticed that everyone who installs a catch can hooks up the tube coming from the rear of the driver side valve cover looping around the back of the engine and T'ing into the connection coming out of the rear of the passenger side valve cover, going up to a catch can, and then to the PCV valve, then to the intake throttle body. Then, there is an outlet at the front of the passenger side valve cover, but it goes directly into the throttle body without going through the catch can. OIL VAPORS ARE STILL GOING INTO YOUR INTAKE this way. What is the purpose of a catch can, if there is another route that oil vapors can enter the intake manifold. Shouldn't there be another catch can, or shouldn't the front passenger valve cover outlet also go through the catch can??? Thanks in advance.
    Ported/Polished throttle body, Lingenfelter launch module, SLP line lock, QTP exhaust cutout, LS7 clutch, K&N, Ceramic coated longtubes, no cats, 3" exhaust, Flowmaster "B", Eibach springs, Midwest Chassis 9" rearend w/4.10's

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Didn't mean to stump everyone, but I have found the answer. The hose connected to the Throttle Body is the Fresh Air Source. Fresh, filtered air goes from the Throttle Body into the engine via one of the inlets on one of the valve covers. The intake connection draws vacuum via the inlet on the valve covers. I have chosen to run my fresh air source from the Throttle Body to the back of the driver side valve cover, then I will block off the opening that is at the rear of the passenger side valve cover, and run a hose from the front passenger side valve cover to my catch can, then to the PCV valve, then to the intake manifold. The reason I blocked off the rear passenger side valve cover is that I didn't want my fresh air source and my vacuum source going in and out the same valve cover. Seemed to me that the vacuum source would suck the fresh air source from the same valve cover, thereby bypassing the crank case. Putting the fresh air source on one side of the engine and the vacuum source on the other side of the engine, would supply fresh air to one side, go through the crank case, and exit with vacuum on the other side of the engine, which is what the purpose is to the Positive Crankcase Ventilation PCV valve. Hope this helps someones understanding!

Thread Information