White 1999 WS-6
    Black 2000 WS-6

Catback Install ??

Ok, Im looking to buy the Magnaflow Catback for my 2000 Bird. My 1999 already had one on when I bought it and I love the sound.

So as far the install goes, Magnaflow directions say to cut out the original exhaust just in front of the rear axle. How would I know exactly where to cut it? and what the best tool to cut it with?

Also, I found another comment somewhere else saying that you dont have to cut your orig. exhaust. QUOTE " You can easily remove it by a few simple steps. a.Remove right rear tire, b.Remove right rear shock, c. Remove right side U-bolts & lower differential. These three simple steps allows enough room to remove the entire cat-back system in one piece." - Does this sound legit? Has anyone ever done it this way? Is this way harder / more time consuming?

Any thoughts or tips on the install ?

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by DS-LS1 View Post
    Ok, Im looking to buy the Magnaflow Catback for my 2000 Bird. My 1999 already had one on when I bought it and I love the sound.

So as far the install goes, Magnaflow directions say to cut out the original exhaust just in front of the rear axle. How would I know exactly where to cut it? and what the best tool to cut it with?

Also, I found another comment somewhere else saying that you dont have to cut your orig. exhaust. QUOTE " You can easily remove it by a few simple steps. a.Remove right rear tire, b.Remove right rear shock, c. Remove right side U-bolts & lower differential. These three simple steps allows enough room to remove the entire cat-back system in one piece." - Does this sound legit? Has anyone ever done it this way? Is this way harder / more time consuming?

Any thoughts or tips on the install ?
    there isnt an exact place to cut, this is just so you can get the stock exhaust off easier. use a sawsall with a metal/fine blade

I guess it could be possible to remove it that way. but id say its still easier to just cut it.

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

To get my stock system out I just like GULLETT17 used a sawsall. It allows you to get the muffler and outlet pipes out easier. Then all you have to do is undo the intermediate pipe right after the cats and remove it. Then just install the new cat back.
    1998 Camaro SS Hard Coupe Bright Red #1593
    Mods: Lots!!, still my daily driver except for winter
    383rwhp 370rwft/lbs

1979 Corvette
    Mods Lots!!, weekend cruiser
    325rwhp and 320rwft/lbs

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Yes its got a HEMI)
    Mods: Catback, BFI CAI, Winter daily driver

White 1999 WS-6
    Black 2000 WS-6

Thanks for the info guys

black
    2000 trans am ws6

So im guessing after you cut it, its trashed? About to do this install sunday. Was it easy enough on your own? Did you need anything else?

Yes, after you cut it (in my opinion) it's trashed. You'd have to weld it back together so it isn't much use to most anyone else if you wanted to get rid of it.

I just pulled my exhaust out. I dropped the rearend and pulled the entire exhaust assembly out in one piece by just unhooking it at the y-pipe. Really was pretty easy to do. At least it's still in one piece and functional for someone else to use.

Thread Information