white
    1999 Trans am WS6

Cat converter and NY

Hello all,

It's been a bit but I'm back with another question. last time I was asking about the SLP LM1. Long and short, had my stock muffler taken off and had this welded in. Sounds great, looks great with nice tips etc. My cat back is ghetto but works for what I need.

There's no other work done to the car except a predator tune.

Unfortunately , right around the same time I did the predator tune (actually a week before it), my cat started to fall apart. (Sounded like stones rattling around in my exhaust... turns out they are big pieces of my cat getting stuck on the O2 sensor and unable to flow past.) After a headache and a half, got that cleaned out. Unfortunately it's doing it again, and now I finally got the cat code to trip.

Now, I am at a dilemma. I could just repurchase stock cats but that seems a waste. While I'm not going to do anything special to the car I will eventually plan on getting headers etc. So I'd leave this as my last choice.

High flow cats? Worth the investment I hear but I am in NYC. As far as I know ,they just do a visual / plug in test here and hell many places don't even do the visual. But I hear many people say that you MAY still get SES light with a high flow cat. At this point, i wouldn't pass and tuning out the rear's would not be viable because as far as I know the rear o2's not being ready would be a fail.

last option: I know some people that can pass me. Costs a decent penny every year though, but I could just say hell with the cats and remove them. However, I'd have fuel smell to deal with and loudness. (Since the SLP lm1 is pretty much almost just a straight pipe anyway, I would assume it would be significantly louder?) For SES since I wouldn't want to disable it completely I could tune out the rear o2's or just get o2 sims.

Fuel smell is no biggy to me. I'm used to this from my old iroc that I removed the cats on. Inspections for an 89 were far cheaper though. And easier heh.

What have people in NY done? Specifically the city?

Thanks guys and gals in advance.

-bez

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Cats for stock exhaust won't fit once you get headers. High flows aren't worth the investment unless you plan on using them to pass.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I run small bullet cats from a vette setup my friend had at his shop. Noticed no power drop and toned down the ms3 cam a bit so I get less stares from the cops. The rear 02's can be tuned out to pass the computer test just leave them hooked up for visual or do like me and find a friendly inspection station. You can tell by the sound and smell of my car with the ms3 cam it isn't really going to pass if it wasn't tuned out but I found a place that as long as the computer says green you get a sticker bit it will cost you a little.extra. always tip your.inspector well and when no one is watching unless their all crooked like where I.go.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

Quote Originally Posted by bezerker03 View Post
    High flow cats? Worth the investment I hear but I am in NYC. As far as I know ,they just do a visual / plug in test here and hell many places don't even do the visual. But I hear many people say that you MAY still get SES light with a high flow cat. At this point, i wouldn't pass and tuning out the rear's would not be viable because as far as I know the rear o2's not being ready would be a fail.

last option: I know some people that can pass me. Costs a decent penny every year though, but I could just say hell with the cats and remove them. However, I'd have fuel smell to deal with and loudness. (Since the SLP lm1 is pretty much almost just a straight pipe anyway, I would assume it would be significantly louder?) For SES since I wouldn't want to disable it completely I could tune out the rear o2's or just get o2 sims.
    What have people in NY done? Specifically the city?

Thanks guys and gals in advance.

-bez
    I used to live in Upstate NY and My understanding (from my friends still there) is that they do a full exhaust emissions test on all cars now, hook the exhaust up to the machine and plug a laptop into the car and run it. I'd look into this and be sure you have people who can "pass you" before going with an off road Y-pipe.

-bez
    The SES light will not come on with high flow cats. Also I run a LM1 with long tubes and high flow cats. To be honest I cant seeing many places passing that setup with an off road y pipe. It sounds almost like open headers. With the catted y pipe its very civil at idle until you get past 3k. Your other problem with long tubes is they relocate the cats which would cause you to fail a visual inspection. Its your call on what chances to take. You probably already know this but with long tube headers you will need high flow cats anyway unless you decide on an ory. So I would just get the cats now.
    Last edited by Mike0202; 05-18-2011 at 05:46 AM.

2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

I'm in NYC and have headers into highflow cats into LM1. No codes and sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by Deezl SS View Post
    I'm in NYC and have headers into highflow cats into LM1. No codes and sounds great.
    Have you had it without cats? You could make children cry. Def sounds better with cats imo.

white
    1999 Trans am WS6

Hello all,

Just getting back to this as my email notifications weren't working. Good to see someone has high flows in this and no codes. Did you have a tune done or anything?

I priced out with my friends shop stock replacement cats... Ridiculous pricing. They want 700 for both at my friends parts shop where he hooks me up with a discount. A real shop wants 1100 for both not including labor.

That said, I guess I'll be going with high flows. What do people recommend? I was looking at the SLP's on summit's site but that'll require some fitting to make work with a stock setup I'm assuming. The only alternative I'm seeing is catco 9034's which are supposed to be a stock replacement but I can get high flows for the same price if not cheaper.
    Last edited by bezerker03; 05-25-2011 at 09:45 AM.

2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

Do you plan on running headers in the future? What are your goals with the car. I can help you out, you just need to let me know what direction your going in.

white
    1999 Trans am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Deezl SS View Post
    Do you plan on running headers in the future? What are your goals with the car. I can help you out, you just need to let me know what direction your going in.

Thank you for your assistance. I do plan to run headers. Not much more in any near future though as I have my lm1 already.

I was looking at the SLP high flows as I can get both for 349 from summit.

Curious what you'd recommend though. Headers will be prolly next year.

Goals are pretty much just a loud And fast street car that may get some minor track time but unlikely.
    Last edited by bezerker03; 05-25-2011 at 10:38 AM.

white
    1999 Trans am WS6

Hrm, further reading suggests the SLP hi flows are not gonna just connect easily to the existing setup. (I have stock exhaust with an SLP LM1 custom'd in. The full kit was not installed on this.) I could be wrong however, or just have the cats custom'd in as well like everything else. :P

Curious of any other opinions though. Looking to place the order soon though as my poor car is not drivable in its current cat state. (GIANT chunks of the cat stuck on the rear o2 sensor just bouncing around making noise. Not even going to bother going through the hassle to clean it out again until I have replacement cats.)

2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

I wouldn't waste money on new cats if your going to do the exhaust next year. The rear 02's aren't necessary and can be turned off in 2 min with a tuning program. Turning them off with the tuner will stop the codes from coming up and you can get the car inspected without issue. Plus, it's already done when you do the headers next year. PM me, I do my own tuning and can help you out if your in NYC.

Hello all,

Just getting back to this as my email notifications weren't working. Good to see someone has high flows in this and no codes. Did you have a tune done or anything?
    My is untuned with no codes. I will get a tune after the intake swap.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

You can get the Magnaflow Spun body 3" in/out cat. (#59959) under $100 ea. an install it in place of the SLP resonator, or install a Magnaflow #14419 3" in/out bullet muffler (under $80).

Go fast or Go home!

BLACK
    2002 WS6 TRANS AM

I'm running a full SLP system - headers, high flow cats, & lm1. After 2 or 3 years I threw a code for the cats, then SLP informed me the cats usually last 18 months on the street, and would need to be replaced. I've since installed dopes in the rear. The only issue I've got is in cold weather. The computer sees the front O2 sensors as cold and the rear as hot and throws a code. This causes me to fail the NY state inspection. I've been told to tune them out but I don't know if that would fail me.

2002 WS6
    SLP FULL LENGTH HEADERS
    HIGH FLOW CATS
    LOUD MOUTH W/ 4" TIPS
    SPEC STAR STAGE 2 CLUTCH
    LIGHT WEIGHT Z06 FLYWHEEL
    BLK Z06 RIMS

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Hrm, further reading suggests the SLP hi flows are not gonna just connect easily to the existing setup. (I have stock exhaust with an SLP LM1 custom'd in. The full kit was not installed on this.) I could be wrong however, or just have the cats custom'd in as well like everything else. :P

Curious of any other opinions though. Looking to place the order soon though as my poor car is not drivable in its current cat state. (GIANT chunks of the cat stuck on the rear o2 sensor just bouncing around making noise. Not even going to bother going through the hassle to clean it out again until I have replacement cats.)
    I wouldn't recommend anything SLP except for the lid. But that's IMO.

phantom black
    06 gto

i live in queens NYC and have no cats or mufflers and pass inspection.i had the rears tuned out and most places dont look to see if they are there as long as your no throwing codes the computer will pass you.only cars 1996 and older they hook up the exhuast to the computer

Thread Information