Thread: cat back system

Black on Black
    2001 Firebird Formula

Question cat back system

Hello everyone!
    I'm looking forward to reading about everyone's mods.on this site.
    I'm currently looking to put a system that sounds old school on my 01 Formula.
    I like a nice low rumble at an idle and some noise as you take off.
    Any suggestions?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site Tom! Whereabouts in PA?

I added a Magnaflow catback to our car -- not really what I would consider old school. You may want to look into the GMMG chambered exhaust setup.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

G'day and welcome. I run a Borla with L/Ts and I think it sounds like an older muscle car, but that could be my cam lope too. You'll get a lot of opinions on exhaust here. Check out YouTube - a lot of people post their cars with exhausts on there and it might give you a good idea which way to go.
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

It has a big wing!

Welcome to the board Tom...

GMMG,Borla and Corsa are usually considered the top of the line kits for these cars although many enjoy a middle ground with Magnaflow,Hooker or a true dual kit (usually a non-emissions style kit).

Least expensive to do would be a cutout placed just before the axle..With a cut out you can have it open for a nice deep grumbly (is that a word?) sound or close it with a simple cap and you will be right back to stock sound levels...

Good luck on your choices and read read read!! lol

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

welcome to the site... i'll move this post to the right area for you so that you can get more responces...

silver
    2000 formula

before I put my headers on....... my BORLA rawked.....now with my headers......kinda raspy wish it was like my SLP cat back on my 89 IROC.....that had the sweetest low rumble .......once I was giving this gal a ride....she commented on how sexy my exhaust was
    Last edited by sjsingle1; 03-20-2010 at 08:08 PM.

It has a big wing!

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    before I put my headers on....... my BORLA rawked.....now with my headers......kinda raspy wish it was like my SLP cat back on my 89 IROC.....that had the sweetest low rumble .......once I was giving this gal a ride....she commented on how sexy my exhaust was
    What is strange is that over the years I have noticed that people will rip out the stock WS6 and SLP DD catback in favor of getting aftermarket set ups.

After they start adding more and more mods,the cars get louder and louder and you start to see people slowly come full circle.They start trying to get a reserved deep sound,something similar to the sound these cars started out with in the first place...

Maybe the designers over at GM do know what they're doing??

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Baluchitherium View Post
    What is strange is that over the years I have noticed that people will rip out the stock WS6 and SLP DD catback in favor of getting aftermarket set ups.

After they start adding more and more mods,the cars get louder and louder and you start to see people slowly come full circle.They start trying to get a reserved deep sound,something similar to the sound these cars started out with in the first place...

Maybe the designers over at GM do know what they're doing??
    I've noticed the exact same thing. Also guilty of it to some degree. I learned that on my old 89 Camaro.

With the Formula I took that into account from the begining so I went with a flow master muffler and it has kept the sound much quieter and less rasp that some of the other free flowing setups.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    Same here. Just got my car finished today. I have the Borla 3" adjustable with no plate. With manifolds and stock catted y pipe, it sound awesome. Now I have Kooks 1 7/8" headers and Kooks ORY and its raspy/cackles around 2000 to 2500 rpm. Other than that the start up and cruise sounds exactly the same as with manifolds, which is good. No drone and not too loud.
    I'm gonna try to locate or make some plates for the Adjustable Borla and see if I can tone it down a bit.

black
    2000 ss

dumb question time from the newbie here but.... what's wrong with just loosing the rear muffler and running out str8 pipes? Ok it'll be plenty loud when you step on it but at low revs shouldn't be too bad (or would the cops have something to say about that?) - just curious as this is what I had on my old lightning... was fecking LOUD but still liveable

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Thats what the SLP Loudmouth is. Sounds terrible with headers.

silver
    2000 formula

back to flowmasters???

red with 35th le stripes
    2002 35TH LE

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDYDXfTPwJs[/ame]

this is longtubes and catted y into a slp loudmouth 1 with a tsp 228r cold start.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

I like my Mufflex 3.5" SOTL (Single On The Left), Deep rumble at idle and lots of Bark when you go WFO
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by waylander View Post
    dumb question time from the newbie here but.... what's wrong with just loosing the rear muffler and running out str8 pipes? Ok it'll be plenty loud when you step on it but at low revs shouldn't be too bad (or would the cops have something to say about that?) - just curious as this is what I had on my old lightning... was fecking LOUD but still liveable
    Take a look at this link. I posted a vid of my car and what it sounded like with open exhaust.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128756

At first, I liked it. It was LOUD and I thought sounded good. As weeks turned into months, it got old and annoying quick. Every little thing I had in my car rattled, and I could not hear myself think. I grew to hate it. I now have my Flowmaster Super 40 welded back on and am happy with the way it sounds. Much quiter and has a better sounding, deeper tone.
    Last edited by Badass WS6; 03-21-2010 at 04:08 PM.

Black on Black
    2001 Firebird Formula

Hi PAJeff02,
    I'm in a little town called Royersford located about 20 miles west of Philadelphia.
    Thanks for the possible setup.
    I think I'll take another members advice also and check out YouTube.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Tom'sBlackBird View Post
    Hi PAJeff02,
    I'm in a little town called Royersford located about 20 miles west of Philadelphia.
    Thanks for the possible setup.
    I think I'll take another members advice also and check out YouTube.
    Hey Tom -- always good to see another PA guy on the Board. You'll want to check out the thread for "Spazapalooza" once it gets started on here. It's our Eastern get together held around Green Lane, PA -- so it shouldn't be too far from where you are at. I'm about 45 minutes north of Williamsport, pretty much in the sticks. Jeff.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I'd say the Magnaflow is the closest to 'old school' as you can get.
    These cars will never have that sound though. Wrong material, wrong firing order, different overall design.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Trans Am owner
    former

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I'd say the Magnaflow is the closest to 'old school' as you can get.
    These cars will never have that sound though. Wrong material, wrong firing order, different overall design.

id say the chambered mufflers sound closest to old school. GMMG, or sweet thunders, or powersticks.

they are all the same thing. but yeah, i had magnaflow on my car and it rumbled REAL nice. went from a smooth rumble til it hit 2500 rpm, then changed to a shout LOL. sounded strong

White
    1998 Trans Am

I would say GMMG or stailes works chambered are the closest to the old school rumble. My flowmaster sounded great till the LT's and ORY then it got raspy. My friend has the Magnaflo and it sounds good, I run the SLP Power Flo setup. Deep idle and great sound at WOT, I can even talk on the phone while cruising on the highway with an A4 w/3.73's long as I'm under 75 after that it revs up and gets a little loud but the wind and road noise doesn't help. Soon as I gut the interior I am going to dynamat the floors and doors I finished the hatch so far.
    It helps.

Thread Information