black
    1999 trans am ws6

cat back exhaust setup

I am curious to know why no one has suggested an edelbrock cat back system? I have one on my chevy k1500 and works very good and was really easy to install. I would assume that it would be easy for my trans am as well. Just wanting to know since everyone always seems to only bring up magnaflow, pacesetter, borla, and slp. Are the just mentioned systems better or do people like to spend more or not aware of edelbrock? To tell the truth, I'm not impressed with magnaflow, the amount of money that a person pays just for a nice polished muffler that can hardly be seen doesn't make much sense to me.

black
    1999 trans am ws6

Well, I guess you guys have answered my question. No one has run an edelbrock cat back system I guess. That leaves me with two possibilities as to why: 1. No one knew that one existed from edelbrock, or 2. People were a bit more interested in bling than pure performance (ie buy the magnaflow for the shiny muffler). Hmm, interesting. Have a hard time that 40 people looked at this question, but no one had a comment or answer. Oh well.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

I didnt know that edelbrock had a cat back exhaust system. I have the magnaflow...yes shiny tips...but the best flowing one from the looks of it is the SLP Loudmouth. But from what I've heard is that its raspy and loud on the highway. My magnaflow is pretty quiet. Pretty quiet until the engine starts spinning 5000RPM. Its more of what you are looking for...bling vs. loud vs. performance.

Sunset Orange Metallic-M6
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

QUOTE--- I didnt know that edelbrock had a cat back exhaust system. I have the magnaflow...yes shiny tips...but the best flowing one from the looks of it is the SLP Loudmouth. But from what I've heard is that its raspy and loud on the highway. My magnaflow is pretty quiet. Pretty quiet until the engine starts spinning 5000RPM. Its more of what you are looking for...bling vs. loud vs. performance.

do you have stock manifolds on that? just curious.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

I dont have stock manifolds. I have the Hooker LT's into a custom made Y-Pipe, into the maganflow exhaust

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

I run the Magnaflows on my K2500 with a custom true dual setup and last time i remember you can pick if you want polished or not. (cheaper if you dont).

my setup was not expensive at all, around $350 for the whole setup including labor. (two mufflers, and all stainless pipe) if i wanted tips put on it would be just over $400 depending on the tips.

btw: the Magnaflow catback for F-bodies is one of the cheapest ones out there, and one of the better flowing ones. $454. with tips and polished muffler.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by uh_infinity View Post
    I am curious to know why no one has suggested an edelbrock cat back system? I have one on my chevy k1500 and works very good and was really easy to install. I would assume that it would be easy for my trans am as well. Just wanting to know since everyone always seems to only bring up magnaflow, pacesetter, borla, and slp. Are the just mentioned systems better or do people like to spend more or not aware of edelbrock? To tell the truth, I'm not impressed with magnaflow, the amount of money that a person pays just for a nice polished muffler that can hardly be seen doesn't make much sense to me.
    I think the biggest reason is that NO one stocks there product......Other than the mufflers. I agree with you though totally. I've worked at speedshops for 8 years and cat backs take up SOO much space and unless you have massive wharehouse space, companys will continue to only stock SLP's,Borla's,& Magnaflows shit.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Pewter
    2000 Camaro ss

I know summitracing has it, and it was under 300 for the whole catback. If i didnt have an exhaust i would of tried it out

black
    1999 trans am ws6

Yea, I saw the cat-back in summit as well. Guess I know what I will be buying this spring. Thanks for all the info from everyone, keep it coming. I think I'm more old school than what I want to admit, I have a hard time wondering away from old school name brands like edelbrock, holley, and hurst. Haven't had enough trust or experience with the others that seem to be more of a player in the ls1 market. Thats why I bought this car, was to learn. Let the fun begin!

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Hooker

Check out Hooker CB with Aerochamber muffler. I have one and really like the sound. Down size is that they are not stainless and some people don't like the issue with rust in crappy weather areas. Muffler is black and pipes are aluminum looking. Sounds getto but I painted my pipes a Satin High Temp black with nice chrome tips and it meets my taste. If my pipes do get ugly I will still keep the muffler...I really like the deep roar.
    2000 Z28 M6, SLP Lid, SLP Bellows, SLP UD,
    P&P Maf, TB By-Pass, PS Shorties, LS6 Intake, FAST 78mm TB, Hooker CB, Hurst Billet, Front Tower Brace, small 218/218....527/527....114 cam.
    337rwhp/348rwtq

Thread Information