Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

CARB certified catalytic converters vs. 49 state

I'm replacing all of the catalytic converters on my 2000 TA (126,000 miles). I was told that CARB certified converters could be interchanged with 49-state legal converters, but they were better because they had more catalyst inside and would last longer. Does anyone know for sure before I order the converters? Thanks! (Yeah, I know... eliminate the converters and use O2 sims and get a tune but I live in NJ and don't know of any good tuners in this area.) It's less of a hassle to replace the converters and I'll remain emissions-legal.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

send it to Frost....best mail tune. mail it on Mon and will have it back by Fri

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I don't know for certain what the difference is for CARB certified converters, if any. I will say that when we purchased our car in 2008, through a VIN check I discovered that it was originally sold new in California. I inquired as to whether there were any differences in the factory emissions as it was a California car and the reply I received was "no differences at all".

98 Formula
    06 duramax

CARB is just a Kalifornia thing......it could be as simple as the manufacturer of a certain cat didn't want to pay the money to have it carb certified. I wouldn't think there would be much if any difference between the 2. Since you live in NJ just get the cheapest version.

I'll paste a little paragraph here and highlight the main problems with CARB:

The group that regulates anything having to do with air quality in the state of California is known as the California Air Resources Board (CARB). This 11-member board is comprised of experts in various fields relating to air quality, including automotive, medicine, agriculture and law. The board also includes local elected officials.

Thread Information