Black
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Car overheating need help!!!!!!!!!

Alright too start my waterpump locked up so i put a new one on and now works freely. The problem is still overheating!!!! Figured it would be the thermostat so i bought a new one and still didnt fix anything still overheating its hitting the redline. So i thought i would take out the thermostat and just run it through the housing too make sure something wasnt wrong with the new one. When i did this and ran it straight through the housing it would run cool as it should. Now what do i do?????????? New waterpump and new thermostat whats next????????? Anyone help let me know please!!!!!!! Anyone help will be appreciated thanks in advance, ramair1999@hotmail.com

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Did you bleed the coolant lines? If you didn't, you could be getting air bubbles in the engine and that could be causing the problem.

Black
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

is there a how to online or is there an easy way to do it? thanks for the fast replies!!!

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Just use the bleeder screws on the coolant lines. Turn the car on and open up one of the bleeder screws with a screwdriver until it bubbles everything out and starts to run as a solid stream out, then close it up and your done. Oh, and make sure you run the coolant through the heater core by turning the heater on after you bleed the lines. Then let everything cool and check your coolant level.

Black
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Alright before i go burping the car should i completely flush out the antifreeze because right now i have dexcool in it? If so what kind of antifreeze do you all think i should use instead of dexcool? The thing is if i flush the entire system and get the air out and the thermostat still dont open then i will waste all the new antifreeze. Let me know anything else you guys know that could be the problem thanks again for everthing, ramair1999@hotmail.com

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I use the Prestone 50/50 mix. It already comes pre-mixed with antifreeze and water so you just pour and go.
    As long as you used 50% dexcool and 50% water, you should be fine. You don't need drain the antifreeze again because you already did that. Just open up the bleeder screws and let the air out, then you'll be fine.

Black
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Where are the bleeder screws i cant find them anywhere i have a friend with a lt1 he says there on the waterpump but there is none on my factory one or the new and help thanks, ramair1999@hotmail.com

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

No, they're not on the waterpump, they should be on the coolant lines running to/from the waterpump. I couldn't find a pic of an LS1, so here's a pic of the screws on an LT1 for general reference.

Click for full size

Black
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Thumbs up

Well guys thanks for everthing, i losten the big hose that runs into the waterpump and took the radiator cap off and let the air seep out when it was running and running water through. Im sure i got all the air out. Now im going too flush it again i want too get all that shitty ass dex cool crap out of my car so i will probaly have too do the same thing again. Anyways thanks for all the help and the quickness you guys let me know about stuff. Once again thanks everyone. ramair1999@hotmail.com

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Yeah, you will need to bleed the air again if you drain/refill it.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

There's not any bleeder screws on a ls1 Have to bleed her the old fashion way...

Black
    Y2K Camero SS

remove one of the throttle body coolant line as this the high point of system, bleed air here
    my .02' Johnny

Thread Information