Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Artic White
    2002 ws6

Can This Be Done???

Alright exhaust gurus... I plan on running a true dual with X-pipe system on my car. My question is, with 2.5" piping, can each side of the exhaust run over the corresponding side of the axle? or do both sides of the exhaust have to go over the passenger side of the axle then out?

Thanks!

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by architect7 View Post
    Alright exhaust gurus... I plan on running a true dual with X-pipe system on my car. My question is, with 2.5" piping, can each side of the exhaust run over the corresponding side of the axle? or do both sides of the exhaust have to go over the passenger side of the axle then out?

Thanks!
    if you don't use factory path, you will lose ground clearance.

Artic White
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    if you don't use factory path, you will lose ground clearance.
    True duals don't follow factory path anyway. I'd just prefer to keep the piping the same distance on both sides and would prefer not to go under the axle to do the same distance.

red
    2000 camaro ss

you can run tru duals the same path as factory. . . .that's how i'd do it if i was to. . .

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

You can fit 2.5" True Duals over the rear axle...ask Luos.

Artic White
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    You can fit 2.5" True Duals over the rear axle...ask Luos.
    But can you run one side of the dual exhaust over the axle on the drivers side and the other side of the dual exhaust over the passenger side of the axle? That's what I'm wanting to do but I've never seen it. I always see both parts of the dual exhaust running over the axle on the passenger side.

Thanks for the feedback.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Its prolly not a good idea. Dont the fuel lines or brake lines run on the drivers side in that area? If they are then it would be easier/ cheaper and safer to just do it on the passengers side.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I don't think you can do the split, not enough room, but BMR Fabrication sells a Panhard Rod Relocation Bar that allows you to run dual 3" Piping over the Passenger Side of the Rear Axle.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Yes, you can run 2.5" TDs over the axle on the pass. side with or without a panhard relocation brace. If you do not want to spend the money for the relo kit (which is well worth it) you can run the pass. pipe in the factory location and the driverside pipe must go under the panhard.

I would not recommend that you run one down the driverside. It would be alot of unecessary work.

Here is my TDs with the relocation bracket

Here is another set of my TDs without the relo. bracket
    Last edited by 9t8z28; 02-01-2009 at 04:55 AM.

red
    2000 camaro ss

nice pics

Artic White
    2002 ws6

I don't think you can do the split, not enough room, but BMR Fabrication sells a Panhard Rod Relocation Bar that allows you to run dual 3" Piping over the Passenger Side of the Rear Axle.

Click for full size

Click for full size
    I figured there had to be something on the drivers side to keep people from running half of their dual system over the axle on that side. I just wasn't sure what it was. Fuel lines definitely sound like a possibility. I do think they run in that area. Is there another advantage of the panhard rod relocation bar other than just freeing up room for the exhaust in that area?

Thanks again and thanks for the Pics everyone!

Black
    2000 Trans Am

You dont have to have that panhard bar to run them both over the axle, but it would prolly help out some since its so tight to begin with.

I've got my TDs 2.5 at that point running over the passenger side axle. I just used the adjustable edelbrock pan hard bar that I bought for my 3rd gen since it is currently in pieces. It went on just fine.

You prolly could run the 1 pipe down that side but knowing how exhaust pipes torque with the motor putting them that close to the fuel lines and with them being hot may cause alot of trouble unless you go though the steps and run the lines on the outer side of the frame.

Is there another advantage of the panhard rod relocation bar other than just freeing up room for the exhaust in that area?
    No. If you get it it changes the geometry of the rear suspension. Sam Strano told me that. Only do it if you are going to run true duals.

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by blkSS98 View Post
    No. If you get it it changes the geometry of the rear suspension. Sam Strano told me that. Only do it if you are going to run true duals.
    actually, the "said rod" can't change geometry. . .it's a solid piece that results in the same length as the factory piece (with different shape). it is a fixed piece that has nothing to do with the geometry/travel of the rear axle. i think you are mistaken for the "lower" panhard rod, take a look at the pics again.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

actually, the "said rod" can't change geometry. . .it's a solid piece that results in the same length as the factory piece (with different shape). it is a fixed piece that has nothing to do with the geometry/travel of the rear axle. i think you are mistaken for the "lower" panhard rod, take a look at the pics again.
    Actually, it does change the geometry. There are pivot points and as the rear goes up in down, it is pulled or pushed to one side. The optimal position of the panhard bar is parallel with the ground. The relocation bracket actually pulls the right pivot point of the panhard bar down. In all honesty, you will never know that you made a change to the suspension besides maybe some less flex in the ass end.

red
    2000 camaro ss

Click for full size

Click for full size
    the top one is the one in question, which is "fixed" and will not change geometry as i'm sure you know. the lower one is the one that dictates geometry, i know. i think we are just having a miscommunication problem.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

the top one is the one in question, which is "fixed" and will not change geometry as i'm sure you know. the lower one is the one that dictates geometry, i know. i think we are just having a miscommunication problem.
    Yes, the top relocation bar is fixed but it has pushed the pivot point of the panhard bar down thus changing the geometry.

red
    2000 camaro ss

hmmmmmm. i didn't see (and still barely can) how it abandons original mounting hole and uses the lower w/ brackets. thanks for bein patient.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

But can you run one side of the dual exhaust over the axle on the drivers side and the other side of the dual exhaust over the passenger side of the axle? That's what I'm wanting to do but I've never seen it. I always see both parts of the dual exhaust running over the axle on the passenger side.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Yes you can run duals over both sides of the axle. I've seen it done in person a couple times.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

If i were u, and running headers I would go straight to a 3" pipe off the headers and only go to 2.5 before I go over the axle. If it is possible and works out for you to run the pipe over the drivers side I wouldnt even bother running 2.5 pipe, I would do 3" all the way.

I've got a X made into my duals as they go over the axle.

Thread Information