Thread: Burned PS Fluid

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

Burned PS Fluid

So my power steering fluid is burned pretty bad. It smells more like gear oil, and is almost black. Can I get a rebuild kit for the pump? Is it worth rebuilding? Would a good flush and new fluid be enough? How do you completly fluch a ps pump?
    The engine is out, so I can do whatever needs to be done with no problem. It probably doesn't matter, but it's a 2000 WS6 with the ps "cooler". Thanks for any advice you guys have

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

unless your pump is getting all noisy and stuff, you'll be fine with a flush. A simple way to do it is to take off the return line, put a cap on the tank and redirect the return line to a container to collect the old fluid. Next, turn the wheel all the way to the right (wait, was it left? someone needs to verify this for me) and get someone to start the car for you while you pour new fluid into the reservoir. Don't let the reservoir go empty and make sure the return line doesn't come off the waste fluid container or the container overflows. Shut off immediately as you finish pouring in the new stuff. So some ditzy g/f's shouldn't be trusted with this job of quick start/stop reactions, lol. This can get messy if you don't do it right. A quart or two should be enough to get the job done. You can do one quart, then turn the steering a couple times and then do one more time with another quart of clean fluid.

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

Cool, thanks. The pump did get a bit noisy from time to time. Mostly when it was cold outside. I have no leaks at all, so you think it's fine? Do they have a synthetic fluid that works well?

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy 2-1 View Post
    unless your pump is getting all noisy and stuff, you'll be fine with a flush. A simple way to do it is to take off the return line, put a cap on the tank and redirect the return line to a container to collect the old fluid. Next, turn the wheel all the way to the right (wait, was it left? someone needs to verify this for me) and get someone to start the car for you while you pour new fluid into the reservoir. Don't let the reservoir go empty and make sure the return line doesn't come off the waste fluid container or the container overflows. Shut off immediately as you finish pouring in the new stuff. So some ditzy g/f's shouldn't be trusted with this job of quick start/stop reactions, lol. This can get messy if you don't do it right. A quart or two should be enough to get the job done. You can do one quart, then turn the steering a couple times and then do one more time with another quart of clean fluid.
    where is the return line located? i have a '98 and i know they never changed my power steering fluid so im looking to get that done because 11 years is way overdo for any fluid change.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Quote Originally Posted by Siciliano15 View Post
    where is the return line located? i have a '98 and i know they never changed my power steering fluid so im looking to get that done because 11 years is way overdo for any fluid change.
    Return line is the one on the side closest to the abs block with a simple crimp clamp.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

What is recommended for replacement fluid in our pumps? Any particular brand or formulation?

Thread Information