Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

black
    2001 Camaro SS

Which borla should i get

Okay they make two borlas for my car and one is adjustable and one is not. the latter is cheaper. Price isnt much of a concern. here's my thing, i want the adjustable system but i want the single tips, and the adjustable has quad tips. They dont make it with the single tips.
    i was wondering if anyone has either system and could tell me if the non adjustable one is too loud and if the adjustable one is all it's cracked up to be.
    here's the link to the website

HTML Code:
    http://borla.com/applications/lookup.aspx/2001/Pontiac/Firebird/Trans+Am
    oh and in ya'lls opinion which one looks better on a camaro. and does anyone know where i can get it cheaper?

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

I have a flowmaster/stock CB with Borla's quad tip and I really don't like them. I just bought the non adjustable Borla cat-back with single tips but have not installed yet. I was also wondering how its going to sound. But I can tell you the tips are very NICE.

Here's a pic of my car with quad tips.

black
    2001 Camaro SS

word that's what i'm thinkin. I've been told borla is a very precise sound, but i do want it to be a good bit louder but not too obnoxious. like when i race i can't hear my car lol... i got the slp dual duals, (not the loudmout) and its known to be the quietest "aftermarket exhaust". it came stock so i'm switchin it up.
    How soon are u puttin it on? i'd just kinda like some info on it

1998 Firebird Formula WS6

a lot of people use a borlamouth system where they have a borla xr-1 welded in place of the slp one. and the adjustable system has a a cutout installed basically. if i were you i would have a cutout installed and have the round xr-1 welded in. go to ls1sounds.com and decide for yourself.

black
    2001 Camaro SS

i put my borla in last week and it's awesome. it's got a much deeper rumble to it. It's not much louder though is the thing. i had the slp dual dual and did some reading on it before i bought the borla and supposedly the slp was one of the quietest cat backs around. i figured the borla would make it a little louder but it didnt make a whole lot of difference in volume. i was kinda bummed but it still sounds GREAT and i love the tips. If i got a new y-pipe would that make it a little louder? i don't want it to be annoyingly louder but i want it to be a decent bit louder. i wanna keep it "classy" i guess.... or as classy as you can get granted that camaros aren't known for being a classy car in all honesty... i hope i dont get lit up for that lol

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

I have the Borla adjustable and love it. Fun to play with the different sized plates.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by chevyss1234 View Post
    i put my borla in last week and it's awesome. it's got a much deeper rumble to it. It's not much louder though is the thing. i had the slp dual dual and did some reading on it before i bought the borla and supposedly the slp was one of the quietest cat backs around. i figured the borla would make it a little louder but it didnt make a whole lot of difference in volume. i was kinda bummed but it still sounds GREAT and i love the tips. If i got a new y-pipe would that make it a little louder? i don't want it to be annoyingly louder but i want it to be a decent bit louder. i wanna keep it "classy" i guess.... or as classy as you can get granted that camaros aren't known for being a classy car in all honesty... i hope i dont get lit up for that lol
    Did you go with the adjustable Borla or non- adj.? Do you have pics of the tips?

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Sorry to get off topic but what is better borla or true duels?

black
    2001 Camaro SS

nah its not off topic but from what i hear true duals are better and usually give better power gains than than a y-pipe setup, but i with duals you want to make ure you dont put such big pipes in that you are losin torque and what not. I honestly have yet to see a true dual setup on an f-body just cuz the ground clearance is such an issue. but anyway i got the nonadjustable system. i love the way it looks and sounds but i just wish it was a little louder so i kinda wish i could adjust it.

but JwMonE99 - i'm not sure if you got confused or not but i had the slp dual dual system (its still not a true dual system) and switched to a borla. i'm not sure if you were talkin about that or not

Purple
    98 Firebird

If you want it louder put on headers! I have the Non Adjustible Borla for the LS1 on my V6 Firebird with headers, It's not as loud as my sons V6 Flowmaster cat back, but has a much deaper tone. I love it.

Brian

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Borla adjustible here. Love it. Personally I love the quad tips on the Trans Am, not so much on a Camaro.

black
    2001 Camaro SS

would a new y-pipe do the trick?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by chevyss1234 View Post
    would a new y-pipe do the trick?
    If it is an off road y (no cats) it will make it louder. Not worth the money tho as there's not much of a horse power gain, I'd get some long tube headers and an ory.

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

i got the adjustable with an electric cutout in place of the plates. I also have headers and ory. I love the sound of it. With it closed it has a nice tone to it and with it open it roars at wot. it is loud with it open though.

2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Borla Non-adj.

black
    2001 Camaro SS

yeah i'm just lookin at an electric cutout.... seems like my best option, i think i'll put it on just after the y pipe....?

Red
    2000 SS

My Dad has the non adjustable on his 98 SS. It is still louder than my car and he has stock manifolds and cats. I have LT's, ORY, into the SLP dual/dual. I probably wont ever get rid of my catback though. It is a great flowing catback and still very sought after. ChevySS you could probably make a pretty good chunk of change selling your dual/dual. Unless you hacked it up getting it off the car. If you go with a cutout put it in the i-pipe right before it goes over the axel. There is a perfect spot there. That is where I have mine.

2000 SS M6 #5445 - 13k miles
    SLP Lid, Pacesetter LT's/ORY, SLP dual/dual catback, QTP cutout, Hurst w/ WS6 store SS

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28 View Post
    My Dad has the non adjustable on his 98 SS. It is still louder than my car and he has stock manifolds and cats. I have LT's, ORY, into the SLP dual/dual. I probably wont ever get rid of my catback though. It is a great flowing catback and still very sought after. ChevySS you could probably make a pretty good chunk of change selling your dual/dual. Unless you hacked it up getting it off the car. If you go with a cutout put it in the i-pipe right before it goes over the axel. There is a perfect spot there. That is where I have mine.
    Your Dad's car is louder than yours with just the Borla catback??? I didn't know the non-adj. borla was that loud. I guess I need to install mine pretty soon.lol

black
    2001 Camaro SS

i cut the system right in front of the axle (in between the front and rear axles not behind it)... u think anyone would be interested in buying that? i think i could still get a hold of it.

black
    2001 Camaro SS

damn i also feel like a dumass now... i had to leave it outside somewhere behind a car shop because i couldnt put it in my car. i had to leave and head back to college before i could pick it up and i dont even know if it's still sitting there or if it's still in decent condition. argh i so pissed.

Thread Information