Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6

borla catback or cheaper cutback plus headers?

So I was planning on getting the borla catback system because I love the sound, but its so expensive, I thought for not to much more I could just get a cheaper system like magnaflow and get headers as well, maybe a cut out too. So should I go with the borla catback, or a cheaper catback with headers? I'm really looking for a deep rumbly sound which is what borla sounds like, but will I get this same sound with a good header catback combo? If so, what combo should I do????

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Your really never going to get the sound of borla from another system. Depending on what your after. Do you want performance or just the sound?
    Check out ls1sounds.com for some clips.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

I love the borla as well, all I can say is stay away from headmen headders. SLP makes a real nice cat back. I have a flowmaster on mine I think it could be deeper but every one who hears it says it sounds sweet.

Awaiting Activation

Black
    RIP S4 06Tbss

Quote Originally Posted by beer View Post
    just get a cheaper system like magnaflow and get headers as well, maybe a cut out too. So should I go with the borla catback, or a cheaper catback with headers?
    Pacesetter lts are priced good and are pretty good quailty so I would recomend doing that. Cut out is cheap and ez to install so that is a good idea as well, I have the QTP electronic cut out and love it, some people dont think they can trust them but then agin most of them have never had one so I recomend the qtp. Magnaflow works, although not the best flowing catback in the world, with lts and a cut out you wont notice the differance. Borla is a high quailty system but $900 for just a cat back it sounds good but overall is not the sound your going to want in the long run. If you can afford it I would also toss in a Y pipe....overall you will spend dubble on what I just listed but the gains and sound will be 100x better then just getting Borla.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

headers and magnaflow . . . imo the borla wont sound that great with headers if you plan on gettin the mlater down the road. if you like the high end catbacks, look into corsa.

Black
    1999 Trans-Am

I would do the headers for the performance. I have pacesetters and a cut out and i love it its open all the time lol. But i would like something really deep I havent yet heard magnaflow in person

BUCKEY what kind of flowmaster do you have?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Magnaflow.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i think once you add headers to any cat back, it's going to sound better than just borla. here is a comparison between stock system with borla exhaust, and a cam/headers/borla system:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uAJqkpAyF1U

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwoodDavid View Post
    I would do the headers for the performance. I have pacesetters and a cut out and i love it its open all the time lol. But i would like something really deep I havent yet heard magnaflow in person

BUCKEY what kind of flowmaster do you have?
    I have the American thunder series, I think it's a 40 series muffler. Headman lt's and a catless y-pipe

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Black 2002 Trans Am WS6

Personally, I love my Borla system. The sound is unbeatable, and only got better when I added headers, and the fit, and look of the system is awesome. Get a Borla cat back and take a little more time to save $ for the headers. You won't be sorry!!
    Black 02 Trans Am WS6 M6 SLP Lid, Bassani Stainless Headers & Y-Pipe w/o Cats, Borla Exhaust, BMR-STB, LCAs & Reloc. Brackets, Panhard Bar, & SFCs, Eibach Pro-kit With Bilsteins, BF Goodrich G Force KDWs, Optima Yellow Top, 5% Tint, Blackouts, Clear Side Lights, H-7 Headlights much more to come!

Awaiting Activation

Black
    RIP S4 06Tbss

Quote Originally Posted by 2002 WS6 KILLS View Post
    You won't be sorry!!
    But your pocket book will....Borla=over priced cat back, sorry but it is......You can beat the sound and save your money..

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I have the Borla Stainless Steel Cat-Back 3" Adjustable System and I like it. If you're not familar, the single pipe comes back and Y's off before the muffler. One side goes directly to the passenger side exhaust tip and the other side goes through the muffler and out the drivers side tip. The sound is adjustable but using different size blockoff plates for the passenger pipe. There are 4 plates: one is wide open, one is completely blocked off (so all the exhaust goes through the muffler) and 2 in between.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by 98T/Aformula. View Post
    But your pocket book will....Borla=over priced cat back, sorry but it is......You can beat the sound and save your money..
    How is it overpriced? That's like saying Kooks headers are overpriced when you could just go get a cheap set of Pacesetters. What if you don't wan't the sound of a cheaper cat-back like a Magna-Flow, in which 3 out of every 5 cars or going to have most likely. IMO, I think the Borla sounds better than any of the cheaper systems.

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

I wouldn't say a borla is over priced but it is expensive I would like to get one but at the same time I'm happy with what I got for the money. I do however want better headers.

Silver
    2004 SVT Cobra

You may want to consider the GMMG catback. A little cheaper than borla and sounds better in my opinion.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Go for a cheaper (but still quality) catback & the headers IMO...

White
    2001 Trans Am

any one running the hooker armor coated headers ? i see them priced on ebay for $400 which is around my price range, also y pipe or run true duals is there much hp or torque diff ??

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6

yea i think im going with borla, the sound is unbeatable, but thanks for all the input guys, i will however check on that gmmg because i have heard its good. Thanks!

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    How is it overpriced? That's like saying Kooks headers are overpriced when you could just go get a cheap set of Pacesetters. What if you don't wan't the sound of a cheaper cat-back like a Magna-Flow, in which 3 out of every 5 cars or going to have most likely. IMO, I think the Borla sounds better than any of the cheaper systems.
    $900 is how it's overpriced...lol. It all depends on what your preferences are and how much you can afford. I got a nice magnaflow for $300 used. I'll take that anyday.

10's N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    $900 is how it's overpriced...lol. It all depends on what your preferences are and how much you can afford. I got a nice magnaflow for $300 used. I'll take that anyday.
    I got a nice B&B Tri-Flo cat-back that ran me $780...and get this, I got rid of my old MagnaFlow system for it. I got tired of sounding like everyone else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information