Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Borla Adj Which Plate?

I've had a few performance shops tell me to use the medium plate for the best performance, but they said if ur gonna run it at the track leave it wide open.....I'm a bit lost on that one....Anyone know why there tellin me to run the medium plate?......Which plate if any has anyone had the best luck with?
    2000 Silver Ws6 - Holly Powershot, MTI clear lid, MBA descreened 85mm maf ends, SLP bellow, SLP 160° T-stat, EGR delete, TB bypass, Elite Engineering PCV oil catch can, Sealed Ram Air, Diablo Predator, UMI SFC's, UMI Torque Arm, Borla adj cat-back

NBM
    2002 Z28

I dont really have an answer for you, but I would think no plate would be the best for racing. I really dont think it will make a big difference at all.

Artic white
    2001 Trans am

when you leave it open all the exhaust is going out one side of the pipe. when you put the medium plate on it redirects the exhaust through the muffler. so really when you dont use any plates its like your running staright pipe. that is one reason why i think that borla is a waste of money because the only time you actually put the muffler to use is when you put the smallest plate in.

what i have heard is you will lose low end torque form a loss of back pressure. which you need on the street.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

I like the smaller ones for better low end torque.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Yeah that's what they were tellin me....They said when you run no plate you lose low end torque....I bought the exhaust a few months ago, but I haven't put it on yet cause I store my car in my garage for the winter, gotta love the weather in the Northeast....Is there much of a differance in loudness between no plate and the medium plate???

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSteen25 View Post
    Yeah that's what they were tellin me....They said when you run no plate you lose low end torque....I bought the exhaust a few months ago, but I haven't put it on yet cause I store my car in my garage for the winter, gotta love the weather in the Northeast....Is there much of a differance in loudness between no plate and the medium plate???
    i couldnt tellya. i put an elec cutout where the plates would go. i used a QTP but i think borla actually has one.

I think its because with wide open you can pick up more ponies kind of like if you were to take the cats off.So thats best if your at the track going wot. But leaving in the plate will create more low end torqe for the street and be a better dd I guess.

To me its all knitpickin. The differences are so minimal its not worth worrying about unless your pumping out 500+ponies at the rear wheels

Midnight Blue
    1999 Trans Am M6

I originally put in the smallest plate (1/4 opening I think)... Drove it sounded awesome but to loud for my wife. It seemed to have a little more power than when I blocked off the dump entirely. Man they sound so good.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

i have borla, don't know which plate is in but exhaust comes from both sides so its partially redirected. How much $$$ to put an electric cut out in there to adjust? That would be great--not so much for performance gains but for shear volume control. closed on long trips and open when showin' off Can you infinitely control the cut out or is it 'open' and 'closed'? Hope this ? helps you silversteen-not trying to hijack--maybe go electric rather than pick one plate.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 02WS6dream View Post
    i have borla, don't know which plate is in but exhaust comes from both sides so its partially redirected. How much $$$ to put an electric cut out in there to adjust? That would be great--not so much for performance gains but for shear volume control. closed on long trips and open when showin' off Can you infinitely control the cut out or is it 'open' and 'closed'? Hope this ? helps you silversteen-not trying to hijack--maybe go electric rather than pick one plate.
    No buddy it's cool....I was actually thinkin about doing the same thing, but I also was wondering if it could be controled or just open and closed???

the one i got is adjustable all the way through. its kinda hard to get it just how you want it because they open and close so fast. but you can do 20 or 25% moves . but its well worth the money imo. i bet you can find a vid of someone demo ing it somewhere.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I run no plate. My car is definaetly slower with it closed up.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I run no plate. My car is definaetly slower with it closed up.
    Have you ever tryed any of other plates and noticed a differance between them and no plate???

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSteen25 View Post
    Have you ever tryed any of other plates and noticed a differance between them and no plate???
    Yes. I close it up everytime I go thru emissions so as not to raise any eyebrows.

Thread Information