Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Big problem after header install.

Hey guys I just installed my Pacesetters, ORY and LM2. I got the race style headers so I got rid of the EGR and AIR. I taped up the plugs and zip tied them out of the way. I also just left the rear O2's unconnected as my buddy is going to tune out the codes.. I spliced the front 02's to extend them. Finished up the job and the car started right up and ran great. Drove it around the block and it felt fine. Parked it and cleaned up all the tools and then went to get in it after about 15 minutes and it doesn't want to start. It just cranks then backfires. If you leave it sit for a little while it will start right back but if you shut it down and try to restart it the same crap happens. Any ideas what could be wrong? Maybe I mixed up a wire splicing the 02's? Is it okay having no back 02's plugged in? Should I have plugged them in and just zip tied them up somewhere? When the car starts it runs perfect, nice and smooth. It seems like it's loading up on gas when I shut it down and is flooded when I try to restart it. Could the computer just be running rich as hell because it hasn't adjusted to the new exhaust? Please help. Thanks.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

First problem I see is the splicing of the O2 wires. They require a certain wire size....if it isn't perfect (I have no idea what size it is) it will cause issues.
    Purchase some O2 extenders.

It is okay not having the rear O2's in. Computer will throw a code until the codes are turned off. Safe to assume you went with an off-road y-pipe?

Headers can/will cause it to run rich. But not so rich it won't run.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

I already cut the 02 wires but I could use the back ones in the front couldn't I? I used the wire that comes with the headers it should work fine. Actually when I think about it there is a slight chance I plugged the drivers side 02 into the the plug for the back one. It was dark and I was getting pretty frustrated trying to button it up with a drop light. I will have to recheck everything tommorrow.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Sounds like an O2 problem to me.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Sounds like an O2 problem to me.
    Good to hear. Hopefully it's just a simple fix. I will go back under there today and hopefully get it squared away.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

DOH!!! I went under and pulled out both 02's and the wiring was fine although one was hitting the header. Fixed that and still had the problem. Checked the fuses, all were fine. Then after a while of trying to figure out what the hell else could be wrong I realized that I left the harness that goes to the injectors that is near where the EGR was unplugged and taped it all up. Bonehead ass thing to do but the car is running great now. Thanks.

Thread Information