Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Exclamation best new induction setup on my SS???

Hi, over the past few days I've been reading a lot of posts on this and several other message boards about the best aftermarket induction setups for LS1 Camaros. You guys seem to be really knowledgable so I figured I'd join this message board and post in hopes of finding some answers. Here's the deal....I just bought a 2002 Camaro SS and it is completely stock. I'm looking to beef up it's horsepower as much as I can, but being a college student, money is a bit tight. I'm looking to spend around $400 (or less if possible) and was wondering what setup would give me the greatest gains in this price range. I've done some research and originally thought the SLP Flowpac would be my best bet, but some people were saying that for SS's with the functional hood scoop, the cold air kit included with the Flowpac was just a waste of money. Then I found out about the Volant kit and how it works well with the SS because it takes the air coming in from the scoop and completely seals it off and sends it into the engine. However, other people were saying that the hood scoop doesnt really start working until you hit 80 mph anyway, so the cold air intake is a better option to begin with. To make matters even more complicated theres a ton of other options out there, like the K&N FIPK II or the Fast Toys ram air setup or the Austin SSRA setup, etc. I've also heard reports of people having problems driving in the rain or having puddles splash up into their undercar intake and mess up the engine. I live in the northeast, and at times the rain can get a bit hairy. I dont drive through rivers or anything like that, but I'd need something that could maybe get an occasional splash or two on it without destroying my car. Wow, this post has gotten a bit longer than I originally thought, so to sum up I basically would appreciate any info on what would give me the most bang for my buck ($400 or less) and would work well with my SS's already functional hood scoop. Thanks for taking the time to read this guys, and I really appreciate any help you could give!

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

get any lid that on sale. get a hooker exhaust for some more power and better sound.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Like ^ said, get any lid. Fast toys set up is nice, I dont have one yet but I know some fast guys that have em. Dont waste your money on a K&N filter just stick with a paper one.

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Get a MTI air lid .. from stats when all of the top ones were tested they came out the best across the board
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/illcul8troffcr/My%20SS/signaturew.jpg
    2002 Camaro SS #1539
    MTI Clear AirLid /Magnaflow catback/Polished Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace/K&N Filter/Bilstein Suspension/
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/553601
    http://www.fquick.com/illcul8troffcr

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I don't think you can go wrong with the MTI or the SLP lid. Both are excellent lids and keep your eyes peeled for a used one. That'll save you even more money. I did the FRA mod and can't really say it helped or hurt any but it's free and that's one of my favorite 4 letter words.
    It's tough to do mods with a limited budget. I've pieced my car together 1 mod at a time and you can count on spending several hundred on just about any mod. Keep your eyes peeled in the for sale sections and try to buy used. A cat back will be a nice mod to do because not only will you gain some HP it will make the car sound great. Personally, after I got my cutout I wished I would've saved the money I spent on my catback because I ran the cutout open 24-7 until I got headers and pulled the cats. At that point it's waaay to loud to cruise around town in but with stock manifolds and cats I ran it open for a couple of years with no hassles from the cops. Just an option. A cutout is ~$30.

Blue Metalic Silver
    2001 Z28

Slp Lid

I would have to second on the SLP LID, with a smooth BELLOWS and maybe a SLP MAF. Lets face it, SLP has been tuning LS1's for quite some time now and they have tried and tested lots of bolt ons for these cars. Just take a look at an SLP SS Camaro or Pontiac Firehawk and see for yourself.

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

I disagree SLP yes they modify a stock Z28 and turn it into a SS when you order one. The SS ran from 96-02 with SLP modifying them. Thats 6 years and alot of other manufacturers came out with amazing mods for the LT1 and LS1 in that time too.. some are better than SLP's mods.. look at the SLP LT headers for example.. anyone who has them on their SS knows the clearance compared to others on the market suck.. and the price is too high as well.. Which sucks because SLP has the car itself in shop to design these things.. why would they not fix the clearance ..

SLP is nice it made my car what it is but hell if Lingenfelter wanted to modify it or SLP I think we all know whod be touching it. IF youre going to mod your car. get alot of feedback not from people who talk shit about what they dont have but from those who have actually put the work in on the car and seen first hand what it does and what goes along with it. Its like getting free preventive maintenance because all of the shit others have learned by mistake you get to know before hand

Blue Metalic Silver
    2001 Z28

Obviously somebody has had a bad experience with SLP, but I can tell you this, I don't speak from hear say, I actually have SLP parts on my Camaro and have had great success with them, which I can back up with a proven DYNO sheet. Case and point, with an SLP LID, SLP MAF, SMOOTH BELLOWS, MAC Headers, Magnaflow Catback, and a Predator tune, I achieved 330 RWHP. However, the results can be different from car to car, so you can listen to good and bad experience's all day long, but trial and error is what it's all about. Just make sure you do before and after testing so you can get the real deal on what makes your car tick. Anyhow, good luck with your choices and stay ready for those mustangs.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

The lid is probably the only SLP part I would suggest to other people. They do make a great fitting lid that performs right along with MTI's so I would probably go with the one that's cheapest. If you were around in the SLP message board days then you know how they ran the site. That always rubbed me wrong. Dave was always like board Nazi or something and threatened to close the board everytime someone pissed him off. Personally, I don't miss the site and SLP charges waaay more for most of their parts than do other companies that make great parts also. So NO, I'm not a huge SLP fan but I do think their lid is a great piece of equipment and can be had at a decent price if you shop around. The LS1 aftermarket game has changed a lot in the last 3-4 years in particular. With other companies entering the market some things have gotten cheaper. Pacesetter headers are an example. Before pacesetter started making headers you couldn't touch LS1 headers for less than $800. Hptuners helped with tuning prices because edit had a monopoly and charged out the ass. UMI has done wonders for the prices of chassis and suspension parts. The market has changed a lot since SLP was the only game in town for mods.

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion
    The lid is probably the only SLP part I would suggest to other people. They do make a great fitting lid that performs right along with MTI's so I would probably go with the one that's cheapest. If you were around in the SLP message board days then you know how they ran the site. That always rubbed me wrong. Dave was always like board Nazi or something and threatened to close the board everytime someone pissed him off. Personally, I don't miss the site and SLP charges waaay more for most of their parts than do other companies that make great parts also. So NO, I'm not a huge SLP fan but I do think their lid is a great piece of equipment and can be had at a decent price if you shop around. The LS1 aftermarket game has changed a lot in the last 3-4 years in particular. With other companies entering the market some things have gotten cheaper. Pacesetter headers are an example. Before pacesetter started making headers you couldn't touch LS1 headers for less than $800. Hptuners helped with tuning prices because edit had a monopoly and charged out the ass. UMI has done wonders for the prices of chassis and suspension parts. The market has changed a lot since SLP was the only game in town for mods.

Exactly. and as for the guy above him speaking of the specific SLP mods

Quote Originally Posted by bluecamaro
    Obviously somebody has had a bad experience with SLP, but I can tell you this, I don't speak from hear say, I actually have SLP parts on my Camaro and have had great success with them, which I can back up with a proven DYNO sheet. Case and point, with an SLP LID, SLP MAF, SMOOTH BELLOWS, MAC Headers, Magnaflow Catback, and a Predator tune, I achieved 330 RWHP. However, the results can be different from car to car, so you can listen to good and bad experience's all day long, but trial and error is what it's all about. Just make sure you do before and after testing so you can get the real deal on what makes your car tick. Anyhow, good luck with your choices and stay ready for those mustangs.
    I didnt have a bad experience with them but just because they modify and morph the Z28 into the SS doesnt mean every product they make is the best for the car.. you could have great luck with your combination but you didnt try other combos to see which one gives you the best overall performance upgrade which is what the initial poster was looking for .. for the best price.. and SLP is not the best for your money when it comes to the lid and headers .. Even the Granatelli MAF sensor statistically tested on the same car .. same day.. say weather.. did better than the SLP one also ...

I was just speaking about the headers because it sucked that I bought them and already had my car dropped with Eibachs to lower the ride height.. and they scraped horribly where as others didnt .. Good luck with the mods man like I said if you dont know what to choose ask some reliable people who have done work themselves and learned through trial and error

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

do some searching about slp on ls1tech, like said about the only good things from them are the basics, lid, sfc, i'd go with other parts past that. do not waste money on a aftermarket maf until you get way past a bolt on car.

just do a lid first, not too much $
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Slp Lid & Bellows Install

I just installed the SLP Lid & Smooth Bellows on my 2000 Z28 from WS6 Store. Price seemed fair after research and friendly fast service. Install time was about (1) hr with a common screwdriver. The Smooth Bellows was a bit over sized for my liking but closed down with the clamps. Nice looking set-up and you can hear it breathe.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Bakerprecision.com has a smooth bellows for $30. That's the one I used and have had no problems with it. It doesn't have the fancy angle in the middle of it but it works fine.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Thanks for all the replies guys. I've been doing some message board hopping and found out some stuff about cutting out the bottom of the air box as was suggested to me above. It's called the "free ram air" mod, or FRA. It doesnt sound too difficult but my question is will it be more likely to suck up dirt and or water into my exposed air filter and gum things up? Also, since I'm running the functional SS ram air hood, will having that extra air coming in from underneath create any problems? Some people said that having both creates a weird effect with the air that when used together actually makes for worse air flow then when either is used seperately.

P.S. I checked out your cardomain page cul8tr and it's definately one of the best I've ever seen, and not just because half of it is like an issue of Maxim haha. I really wanna get some tints by the end of this summer but in NY they just raised the legal limit from 35% to 70%! I guess I'll just get them really dark and take my chances with the cops.

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper415
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I've been doing some message board hopping and found out some stuff about cutting out the bottom of the air box as was suggested to me above. It's called the "free ram air" mod, or FRA. It doesnt sound too difficult but my question is will it be more likely to suck up dirt and or water into my exposed air filter and gum things up? Also, since I'm running the functional SS ram air hood, will having that extra air coming in from underneath create any problems? Some people said that having both creates a weird effect with the air that when used together actually makes for worse air flow then when either is used seperately.

P.S. I checked out your cardomain page cul8tr and it's definately one of the best I've ever seen, and not just because half of it is like an issue of Maxim haha. I really wanna get some tints by the end of this summer but in NY they just raised the legal limit from 35% to 70%! I guess I'll just get them really dark and take my chances with the cops.

thanks for the compliment.. and damn .. about the percentage they raised it too .. that sucks.. I think Id tint them anyway and just take my chances.. I dont break laws and its my fuckin right to have privacy in my car, my private space that I paid for and pay taxes on. Its just a bullshit reason to allow cops to see everything in the cars. They have the rule against them that things have to be in plain view in order for them to search .. if there isnt other physical signs of something illegal going on . With the windows tinted, they cant see everything awwwwww cry about it. haha Ive turned down 3 cops who wanted consent to search my car.. they have no right, I dont drink, dont smoke or toke, and do nothing illegal with the car. So I will not have my rights violated. Too many people think you should give into the searches.. thats bullshit.. but anyways about the tint.. fuckem do it up right .. and get this stenciled in haha

white
    98 SS

also try the free mods - this month's gm high tech performance shows that the common ones put together nets 10 hp.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

The free mods do look appealing, but like I asked earlier....

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper415
    so does anyone have any info on this mod, especially those who have actually done this themselves

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

well Im not mollecular engineer or anything but it seems to me that you have the air box sealed that goes directly into the mass air flow sensor and all... no air can leak out and air is "rammed" in through the hood scoop forcing the air straight through the filter and into the engine.... if you open up another hole.. it seems like youd change the direct flow of air allowing air to blow out or in through the other hole and mess up the flow.. directly effecting performance? does that sound right?

Black
    99 SS

the bellows are a waist of 30 bucks when u can go to lowes or local hardware store and make one your self for a few bucks. or get a speed density tune and then u dont need the MAF anymore and can have one nice piece of pipe and it looks a lot cleaner without it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information