Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Best LT headers and cat back set up

I have a stock LS1 and am looking to buy LTs and a cat back. I don't want drone and as little rasp as possible. Any ideas or opinions would be great. Right now i have an slp cat back but i have heard that it is really raspy with LTs.

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    I have a stock LS1 and am looking to buy LTs and a cat back. I don't want drone and as little rasp as possible. Any ideas or opinions would be great. Right now i have an slp cat back but i have heard that it is really raspy with LTs.
    Hooker and Magnaflow are the only ones in my experience that have zero rasp when you add headers.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    Hooker and Magnaflow are the only ones in my experience that have zero rasp when you add headers.
    yea i dont know much about headers so i just want to do my research. I want something that is loud and that's going to add some good horsepower. those things probably go hand in hand with raspy. my buddy keeps telling me to get american racing headers or kooks. he has kooks longtubes 1 7/8s and y pipe with a corsa catback. his sounds mean but it is really raspy and is coming off of a 408 stroker.
    2012 Regal GS

2004 Cadillac CTS-V (Sold)
    2001 Camaro SS (Sold)
    1999 Camaro Z28 (Sold)

Red
    2001 ws6

if money isnt a problem go with kooks or ARH....i personally have kooks lt's, ory, slp catback with a magnaflow bullet muffler in place of the slp resonator and love the sound...

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

First rule of thumb when choosing long tubes is avoid SLP headers. As long as you do that, you don't get a grade of "F". Kooks and ARH are the cream of the crop. One of these days when I do a header swap again on mine, I will go with one of those two. Pacesetters, Jet Hots, Hookers are all solid too.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    if money isnt a problem go with kooks or ARH....i personally have kooks lt's, ory, slp catback with a magnaflow bullet muffler in place of the slp resonator and love the sound...
    have any sound clips of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    First rule of thumb when choosing long tubes is avoid SLP headers. As long as you do that, you don't get a grade of "F". Kooks and ARH are the cream of the crop. One of these days when I do a header swap again on mine, I will go with one of those two. Pacesetters, Jet Hots, Hookers are all solid too.
    i am definitely not getting SLP headers. If i'm going to spend the money i am going to do it right. at the same time i want the best bang for the buck. if there isn't a much difference between the high dollar stuff and the mid grade stuff then why pay more. i just want the best bang for the buck, get some good HP, and a great sound.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

have any sound clips of it?

i am definitely not getting SLP headers. If i'm going to spend the money i am going to do it right. at the same time i want the best bang for the buck. if there isn't a much difference between the high dollar stuff and the mid grade stuff then why pay more. i just want the best bang for the buck, get some good HP, and a great sound.
    From a performance stand point, I don't think there is that much difference between the mid level and high end ones, at least not with basic mods.

The difference between the mid and high level ones would be longevity. The Kooks are much more durable than ceramic or jet hot coated ones.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

QTP makes a pretty well fitting header too...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    From a performance stand point, I don't think there is that much difference between the mid level and high end ones, at least not with basic mods.

The difference between the mid and high level ones would be longevity. The Kooks are much more durable than ceramic or jet hot coated ones.
    ive heard that ARH have better clearance than kooks and with my car being as low as it is this is going to be an issue. i also want to get CME but i'm not sure hpw that is going to sound vs and exhaust that just comes out the back without all the bends.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

check out LS1sounds.com too lots of diff setups on there available to listen to!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have Kooks 1-7/8" with the Kooks ORY. My car is lowered now on Strano springs and my exhaust is tucked up nicely.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

dont you have the slp cat back?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yes. I have the LM-II. I love how it sounds. It definitely has a distinct sound that I've never heard on our cars before. I get a lot of compliments. It is very loud though...especially at WOT. Just cruising around it isn't too bad and you can easily have a conversation with your woman. There is some drone around 2500 RPM.

To save some cash you could keep the lm cat back and add the lts. Its not THAT bad with cats. Its when you remove the cats that it becomes beyond annoying.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0202 View Post
    To save some cash you could keep the lm cat back and add the lts. Its not THAT bad with cats. Its when you remove the cats that it becomes beyond annoying.
    yea i am contemplating that after what 35th-ANV-SS but i have the loudmouth not the LM-II.

Red
    2001 ws6

yea i am contemplating that after what 35th-ANV-SS but i have the loudmouth not the LM-II.
    just replace the resonator with a bullet muffler and go from there.....as far as top dollar to mid level headers, your paying for the longgevity and clearance....i dont have a sound clip of my car but ill get you one....ive been promising cutlas forever also that id get him one ..... ill get on that 2marro

2002 transam ws6

All I can say is that QTP is a piece of crap. I have had nothing put problems with mine.The main issue I have is that both headers have very bad exhaust leaks at the merge collector. Called QTP and they gave me the run around even after Thunder Racing verified my issue. I have a set of Kooks on order and will be throwing the QTcraPs away very soon.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

well right now i'm leaning towards kooks longtubes and ORY. would you get cats or catless? i still need to figure out what to do with the catback especially because i want CME

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

well right now i'm leaning towards kooks longtubes and ORY. would you get cats or catless? i still need to figure out what to do with the catback especially because i want CME
    I chose to remove my cats only because I knew I didn't need them for smog here where I live and I plan on running a FI set-up, which I read and was told that in time the cats will probably break down with FI.

Red
    2001 ws6

kooks lts with ory into slp exhaust with the resonator replaced with a magnaflow bullet muffler

Thread Information