Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

best exhaust setup?

I have a 2001 WS6 with the 6speed and when I got it last month it had 110k miles on it and stock from the airbox to the muffler...got carfax on it and its had only 1 owner before me, and no problems ever with anything on it....anyways I have a buddy with a 1998 Z28 and has programmed,headers,no cats, eliminated rear 02's and hooked front 2 02 sensors to his header collectors to read A/F mixture....we have to pass emmissions here, and he has 85mm throttle body I think or 80mm, aftermkt MAF sensor,slp lid and automatic, with flowmaster exhaust...he ran 13.302...I have been planning on taking my tranny out to rebuild it and put a good clutch in it, and while I was at it put headers on, im thinking LT's....I have now a slp lid with mac filter, and msd plug wires, and a hooker muffler....I ran it just to see what it does before I start modding it and it went 13.08 and freaked me and my buddy out...is my car just that much faster stock or what??...3rd went out after my first run and still shifting 2nd to 4th I was running 13.30's and 40's....my buddy was pissed....I was planning on trying to het into the 12's when I start modding it, but its lookin like 11's, my car isnt even programmed, and in a month I will have a built tranny,clutch, and headers while tranny is out...and possibly 3:73's in rear...and for sure have it tuned....it should run low 12's atleast right?...im used to old muscle cars and big cams...I want to keep it as stock looking as possible and dont want to touch the cam until i get into the 11's.....my question is why did I go 13.08 stock as a rock pretty much?...does the lid and msd wires make that much a difference?...what headers should I get and how should I set up the rest of my exhaust?.....also what about head and intake port matching?...I want as much as I can do before the cam stuff starts happenening.

Awaiting Activation

NBM
    99 Z28

someone correct me if im wrong but 13 sec is about right for stock i think.

Metallic Blue
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Since your car is a M6 is will be faster than an automatic without a higher stall. There is always some factory freaks out there, your car could be one of them. There has been some completly stock cars running high 12.9s. As for the exhaust I would run LTs (probably pacesetters) and ORY and the muffers of your choice, check out ls1sounds.com for your personal preference. Get the rear 02s deleted to pass inspection.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

I'd say thats a pretty good time and worth being proud of. Ya I recommend Pacesetter LT's (ceramic coated ofcourse) to everyone.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

go pacesetter lts, offroad y, and a magnaflow catback

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Thanks a lot guys for the help....yea 13's stock for my car is what its supposed to do but like 13.3-13.4 with pro driver when it was just broken in....I have 112,000 mi and its got nothing but air lid msd plug wires and different muffler and I ran 13.1, that is just a tenth from saying it ran 12.90, which I have heard of some freak WS6's in 01 and 02 running 12.90's out of the factory

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 00WS6BlueMetallic View Post
    Since your car is a M6 is will be faster than an automatic without a higher stall. There is always some factory freaks out there, your car could be one of them. There has been some completly stock cars running high 12.9s. As for the exhaust I would run LTs (probably pacesetters) and ORY and the muffers of your choice, check out ls1sounds.com for your personal preference. Get the rear 02s deleted to pass inspection.
    what is an ORY? everyone talks about that, is that off road y pipe?...also I have a hooker aerochamber muffler I had welded in place of the stock one, I listened to a lot of exhaust on youtube, and likes it the most.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Honestly....it just sounds like you can drive it.

The only thing I would change....stick with the stock MAF.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Put a pro 5.0 shifter in there and you'll be able to shift even better.

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    Put a pro 5.0 shifter in there and you'll be able to shift even better.
    I was looking at those, because my tranny wasnt letting me speed shift into 3rd, I hat to let totally off the gas to shift, and after 3 passes I had to go straight from 2nd to 4th cause it wouldnt even go to 3rd...but the 5th sync was out and the next day the tranny stuck in 5th gear somehow so im taking it out this week, and a buddy of mine with an 02 Z06 told me to send it to t56rebuilds.com, and some people on here told me to send it there also...he said his shift smooth into every gear now even when he is on it hard...I dont like how 1st to 2nd feels so long of a shift, do them pro 5.0's make it even smoother and shorter?

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

They shift very nice. The length depends on what stick you run. I'm running a Lou's short stick and it is a very short shift.

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

They shift very nice. The length depends on what stick you run. I'm running a Lou's short stick and it is a very short shift.
    I thought the pro 5.0 was a new stick?...well what exactly is it then?...I am pretty clueless about these cars, i just always wanted one..when I was 16 I had a buddy that drag racing was in his family and he got me into it, he had a station wagon he built, and I had a 1979 Z28 with factory 4 spd, 3:73 gears, and I had a decently built 355 in it, I got mine down to 13.60's and he got his malibu wagon down to 13.80's, and that was by the time we were 18 and in 2002 and all of a sudden these LS1 cars started coming and running what we were running or better and could hardly hear them idle, we had the big cams, ported iron heads and all that, then everytime I ran against a WS6 I dont know how but they stomped me they always seemed to run low low 13's stock as rocks, and I hated them, and just thought they were spoiled kids or guys with money and they couldnt do anything else to them anyways.....then I started reading about them and getting back into the racing thing this year and had to get this car...its the baddest looking thing I ever seen, and my buddy with his 2002 Z06 he has headers,programmed,and borla exhaust and only runs 12.45 at best....we are close on the street

silver
    1999 Trans am Ws6

how good do you guys think with pacesetters headers with y pipe corsa exhaust sound?

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by getcha01 View Post
    I thought the pro 5.0 was a new stick?...well what exactly is it then?...

The pro 5.0 is the mechanical mechanism or shifter base that connects the shift rails in the transmission to the shifters stick. If I could post pics I would show you. Here's a link that might give you an idea.

http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/pro50towshif.html

black
    1999 ws6

Smile headers

why does everybody use pacesetter i had hookers on my 02 ws6 and killed everyone with those pace lt's. and the kookers sound better way louder...

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

The pro 5.0 is the mechanical mechanism or shifter base that connects the shift rails in the transmission to the shifters stick. If I could post pics I would show you. Here's a link that might give you an idea.

thanks....

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

it still confuses me lol....when I take my factory hurst short throw out, all I see is where the little ball bearing looking deal that is on the bottom of the shifter goes into a little housing, then that has a shaft on it that goes into the tranny, and thats what actually moves the gears around....how does a different shifter make a difference?...Im not saying I dont believe they work or anything, but I just dont understand how it would make a difference...it says guaranteed you wont miss ur 2nd to 3rd gear shift....wouldnt that have to be something inside the tranny to make is shift better?

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I don't remember if it's the B&M or the Hurst that is a one piece with the stick. The stick is bolted on by 2 bolts with the original base shifter and the pro 5.0. The shift base is where the springs and stuff is that let you slide into a different gear. You can't get the gears any closer, but the throw gets shorter with a short shifter. The pro 5.0 base has a special setup for the 2 - 3 shift. I never took the factory Hurst apart, but I guess if you take some rubber bushing out it shifts much better. It still won't help the crappy 2-3 shift though.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by 12secws6 View Post
    why does everybody use pacesetter i had hookers on my 02 ws6 and killed everyone with those pace lt's. and the kookers sound better way louder...
    you must be comparing LT's to shorties. They all have about the same HP gain. Either go cheap and get pacesetters or go all out and get kooks or ARH.

Thread Information