Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

best electric cutout?

I'm gonna buy an electric exhaust cutout for my car, what's the best brand or what kind are you guys using? Any info is appreciated.

Pewter
    2000 Z28

There are a few different options for you. Summit Racing sells 2 or three, QTP supposedly being the best, but if you do some more research you'll find McCord PowerPlate (nice website) and then just pop electric cutout in a google search, and check out some of the other options. QTP sells a great product, for a price. Also check out ebay, they have quite a few on there. Hope that helps.

Can ya tell which mod was next up for my z28?
    FOR SALE 2000 Z28 M6
    It's pretty much Raw Awesome

I use DMH which is an excellent cutout. I bought a pair of them for the chevelle and they have been great. Mainly because the gentleman that makes them ran his shop literally 15 minutes from my house in Ohio. Dave was a super guy to deal with,,,invited me over to the shop and showed me his setup. Supplied me with the cutout hardware, piping, gaskets etc...all included in the price.

Not to mention they have a 4 year free replacement warranty,,,can't beat that. Don't know of any others that do that.

Shoot me a PM and I can give you some more info,,,probably stuff I shouldn't post on here.

Black
    00 SS Vert#0540/ 14 GMC

QTP

Yellow
    2002 CETA

I bought the EBAY cutout from Badlandz that lasted 2 months. Supposed to have a 2 year warranty but of course when I contacted them they say I can purchase a replacement motor because it must have water damage or something to make it quit so soon. They do have a new motor now, because the discontinued the other motor. Interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by DKITCHEN View Post
    I bought the EBAY cutout from Badlandz that lasted 2 months. Supposed to have a 2 year warranty but of course when I contacted them they say I can purchase a replacement motor because it must have water damage or something to make it quit so soon. They do have a new motor now, because the discontinued the other motor. Interesting!
    Ya thats the problem with some of those warranties. With constant changes to design and what not,,,some of the bits and peices don't interchange anymore. And most companies only want to repair what is broken, thats not always the best route. Not to mention a long waiting period.
    Thats why I went with DMH,,,he has a 4 year warranty and it's full replacement of the entire unit if I ever have any problems.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

So how does an electric cutout fair in rain or as a Daily Driver? Not in the snow though

Quote Originally Posted by One_Bad_TA View Post
    So how does an electric cutout fair in rain or as a Daily Driver? Not in the snow though
    That I can't honestly answer. I installed my cutouts on a car that is never driven in inclement weather.

From looking at it though,,,with the motor completely sealed, aluminum main body contruction with stainless moving parts,,,,I would venture to say it appears that it would be a long time before corrosion or anything of the sort becomes a factor.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

I use the McCord PowerPlate
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I was thinking of just getting this. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/QTP-Q...55#ht_4179wt_0

The biggest decision I'm going through right now is where to put the switch. And what kind of switch.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by One_Bad_TA View Post
    I have had no problems with mine and it has seen heavy rain, and one snow storm... no problems just sit back and look to see where to tuck wires above things...
    Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    I was thinking of just getting this. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/QTP-Q...55#ht_4179wt_0

The biggest decision I'm going through right now is where to put the switch. And what kind of switch.
    Ok my setup i put this on mine...QTP y pipe with 2 cutouts

I love it, its enough piping it takes some of the rasp from open headers, yet is loud as hell!!! also has got to flow like a mother.... I mounted my switch on the side of my center counsil by the side of my right knee, with my antanae switch, acc. fog lights, and neon in the scoops...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

I went with the QTP on my car and my experience with it has been mixed.

The product LOOKS to be a very quality build, however there is a bit of a design flaw that I encountered (as well as about 10 other people I know of on 'TECH). I'm honestly not sure if that's a long term QTP problem, however those of us with those models all ran into the same issue -- mine crapped out after several months and then I learned that QTP has a VERY short warranty period (I believe it was in the ballpark of 45 - 60 days).

QTP game me pretty much every excuse in the book: 1. out of warranty 2. the failure is likely the result of improper installation (um, it was installed by Vengeance Racing -- doesn't get much more professional than that) 3. likely the result of improper use (um, I occassionally hit the button to open or close it and that's about the only "use" I could think of), etc...At the end of the day, they offered to rebuild it at my cost. I scratched that -- asked them to send me the parts at my expense and then I found a remedy to the problem. Seems to work OK now.

I can say with absolute certainty that if I was to ever purchase another electric cutout, it would be from DMH. Given that the cutouts are subjected to excessive heat and other elements, (eventually) most of them will simply start to fail. If that's going to be the case, I'd much rather have a 4 year warranty and a reputable shop to back me up.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I already ordered that QTP 3". We'll see how it goes.

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

I already ordered that QTP 3". We'll see how it goes.
    I have the QTP and it has performed flawlessly...............switch is hidden in my ashtray

Work..Eat..Sleep..Repeat nut6778's Avatar

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28

I'm gonna do all this work over the winter...
    My idea for the switch is to use the "fog Light" switch. Seriously, who turns those off anyway. So wire the Fog Lights up direct and use that switch for the cut-outs. No one will ever know, and if you look at that switch, it even kinda looks like exhaust fumes coming out of the pipe...if you use yer imagination...my .02
    Nut

2002 Z28

Track History
    5-10-08 13.522 @ 106.59 72 degrees ~ Stock? No Mods? (this is how I bought it)
    6-14-08 13.577 @ 106.71 93 degrees ~ SLP Lid, Smooth Bellow, and Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
    Next Race: I'm done for this season...be back next year!

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by nut6778 View Post
    I'm gonna do all this work over the winter...
    My idea for the switch is to use the "fog Light" switch. Seriously, who turns those off anyway. So wire the Fog Lights up direct and use that switch for the cut-outs. No one will ever know, and if you look at that switch, it even kinda looks like exhaust fumes coming out of the pipe...if you use yer imagination...my .02
    Kinda like what I did with my Nitrous

Work..Eat..Sleep..Repeat nut6778's Avatar

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post

Click for full size
    That is awsome!

So, how many foglights you got anyways? lololol

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post

Click for full size
    that's exactly what my brother thinks I should do with the switches. Me and him are installing it all when it gets here.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Just asking but i heard the electric ones leak on dont open/close fully after some time. Any1 ever have this problem? After hearing this, i went with a 3" manual cutout on my 98 T/A. Only takes a few seconds to cap/uncap. Plus i only open it up when im at the track/shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight02 View Post
    I went with the QTP on my car and my experience with it has been mixed.

The product LOOKS to be a very quality build, however there is a bit of a design flaw that I encountered (as well as about 10 other people I know of on 'TECH). I'm honestly not sure if that's a long term QTP problem, however those of us with those models all ran into the same issue -- mine crapped out after several months and then I learned that QTP has a VERY short warranty period (I believe it was in the ballpark of 45 - 60 days).

QTP game me pretty much every excuse in the book: 1. out of warranty 2. the failure is likely the result of improper installation (um, it was installed by Vengeance Racing -- doesn't get much more professional than that) 3. likely the result of improper use (um, I occassionally hit the button to open or close it and that's about the only "use" I could think of), etc...At the end of the day, they offered to rebuild it at my cost. I scratched that -- asked them to send me the parts at my expense and then I found a remedy to the problem. Seems to work OK now.

I can say with absolute certainty that if I was to ever purchase another electric cutout, it would be from DMH. Given that the cutouts are subjected to excessive heat and other elements, (eventually) most of them will simply start to fail. If that's going to be the case, I'd much rather have a 4 year warranty and a reputable shop to back me up.

Exactly right, you just can't beat a 4 year full replacement. And knowing Dave personally I can say he's a stand up guy and backs his work up 100%.
    He used to sell them through summit racing for quite a while until summit tried to dictate the selling prices and cut into Daves profit, so he pulled them out and primarily uses the internet now, easy website to find.

Edit: here ya go,,,not sure how long this will stay if not exceptable. But if it helps out a few people thats great.
    www.dmhperformance.com
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 10-31-2008 at 10:11 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information