Thread: Belt Squeal

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Belt Squeal

Ok guys heres my issue I installed an ati underdrive pulley and drove the car on a road trip for about 250 miles I put about 50 miles on it before I took it on the trip. Prior to the trip I had no squealing at all upon getting to my destination and letting the car cool off I noticed that the belt would start too squeal when the engine was cold but go away once it warmed up.

I took off the main belt and realized it had to be coming from the a/c system I replaced both a/c pulleys but not the actual tensioner and it still does it. The belts were all replaced when the underdrive was installed but the a/c one was close to maxing out the stock tensioner so i got one a little shorter this morning problem is that the belt wasnt squealing this morning so I have no idea if it actually fixed the issue.

One thing I did notice is that the compressor pulley doesnt seem to squeal but if i turn the clutch on it by hand I can feel what is almost like sand inside of it...Could this be the inside going bad and causing it to squeal periodically? Someone had mentioned the pulley alignment but the tensioner pulleys all seem to be wearing in the same place the stock ones were, it looks ok by eyeing it up and the crank belt is dead on so I don think the crank belt could be aligned perfect but not the a/c....

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Sell the car
    sounds like you're SOL

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    Ok guys heres my issue I installed an ati underdrive pulley and drove the car on a road trip for about 250 miles I put about 50 miles on it before I took it on the trip. Prior to the trip I had no squealing at all upon getting to my destination and letting the car cool off I noticed that the belt would start too squeal when the engine was cold but go away once it warmed up.

I took off the main belt and realized it had to be coming from the a/c system I replaced both a/c pulleys but not the actual tensioner and it still does it. The belts were all replaced when the underdrive was installed but the a/c one was close to maxing out the stock tensioner so i got one a little shorter this morning problem is that the belt wasnt squealing this morning so I have no idea if it actually fixed the issue.

One thing I did notice is that the compressor pulley doesnt seem to squeal but if i turn the clutch on it by hand I can feel what is almost like sand inside of it...Could this be the inside going bad and causing it to squeal periodically? Someone had mentioned the pulley alignment but the tensioner pulleys all seem to be wearing in the same place the stock ones were, it looks ok by eyeing it up and the crank belt is dead on so I don think the crank belt could be aligned perfect but not the a/c....
    Seems like the ac pump usually feels somewhat gritty when spun by hand
    Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    john, think of the ls1 as the chuck norris of all engines....there isnt a bearing on earth that can stand up to its huge cock of a rotating assembly....its just that bad ass....besides..even with my engine out, i can still smoke your ford....
    http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u317/v8mike/tpb.gif

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    Yes...this engine wanted to take a break from kickin ass so that it can pursue a career in acting..but will soon realize that no one will hire it due to it being so bad ass, and thats a liabiliity....

Thread Information