Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

BBK SSi Intake or LS6 Intake?

Anyone ever used the BBK intake manifold? They are going for around $500, which seems to also be the going rate for the LS6 manifold, but BBK claims theirs is an improvement over the LS6. It has an 85mm throttle body opening. Will a stock throttle body fit that?

2002 Camaro Z28

Some say the bbk is no good because it is metal instead of plastic so it heats up more. If it isn't a car that gets raced every day then I wouldn't worry too much about some heat in the intake. If I had a car without the ls6 intake I would give it a try but why use the stock TB when you have an intake that can flow an 85mm TB? Thats my opinion.
    Junkyard bought and "refurbished" 2002 Camaro Z28 - Pacetter Race LT's, TS&P ORY, Frost tune, Magnaflow, Ported TB, SLP Lid, Circle D 3000, 3.73's, SFC's.
    2009 Silverado Z71 - Magnaflow
    2008 Impala LTZ - Wife didn't want the V8 SS!

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Agreed^^ If you're upgrading from an ls1 then try it. And since you have the 85mm get a matching throttle body

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Well, yeah... a bigger throttle body would be on the list, but I can't afford both at once. Would I NEED a bigger throttle body to match the intake?

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

well if your on a budget you can pick up a used ls6 for around $300

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Thinking about it... would an 85mm TB fit on the stock LS1 intake manifold? If so, I could just get that first and upgrade the manifold later. I'm assuming that the 85mm is referring to the opening on the back end of the TB, where it meets up with the intake manifold, right?

Quote Originally Posted by pewterz55 View Post
    well if your on a budget you can pick up a used ls6 for around $300
    That was my original plan, and still the one I am more inclined to carry out. Just was looking up stuff to add to my car and came across this option.

Current best: 10.60/126.8
    1998 Pontiac TA WS6

Those BBK intakes look so great when they are polished though. Not sure I buy into the heat soak theory 100%. Theoretically, yes. But I've seen no evidence to prove either way. And if an intake performs better, it performs better. Heat soak or no heat soak.

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

I think it looks nice under the hood but damn does it heat up quick. at idel it gets really hot but once you start going its alot better.
    99 Pontiac Trans Am Silver: Custom K&N Intake, 85mm BBK SSI Intake, 85 PP Throttle Body, Pacesetter long tube headers, TSP off road y-pipe, TSP Rumbler catback, Torque Thrust II sitting on Nitto 555 all around, 20% tint, and the free mods

1997 Cadillac Deville~32v northstar v8

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

i need some info on this too..

the way i think for an up grade on ls1.. should be ls6 or FAST but some of us cant afford the FAST intake,, so my option is ls6..
    if is a minum difference from ls6 to kbb intake i would go for ls6,, if its a huge minum then that case go for bbk..
    i like how bbk looks but i like how the plastic looks better under the hood..
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

If you got the BBK cheaper than an LS6 id say get it, otherwise the LS6 intake just makes sense.
    As far as a fast like said above, unless you're running a heads/cam setup or even just a cam/only car, the cost wouldn't justify the gains by any means

1999 F-150

I'd pick the BBK over the ls6 simply because it's shinier

Current best: 10.60/126.8
    1998 Pontiac TA WS6

When I see this thing, I see nothing but WIN:

1999 F-150

Quote Originally Posted by 408WS6 View Post

Click for full size
    my point exactly

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

I plan on swapping out my ls1 intake here in a few months and a LS6 would prob be my third choice, right after the Typhoon intake and this BBK, my thinking is since they'll all prob give me the same power gain I might as well incorporate looks in to my decision

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by 408WS6 View Post

Click for full size
    pretty shiny thing.

black trans am

ls6 100% lol. i run it on my 00 ta with dart 205s and comp cams 228 230 .57ish cam and i rev it out to 7k

the ls6 runs me out to about 6700 b4 it dies off... i start pulling a slight vac after about 4500 but that might be my lid and or filter choking it off... above 100 the little bit of ram air seems to help that and stop pulling a vac till about 5500...

in all its hard to beat GM. few ppl do.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I got my LS6 intake brand new with new fuel rail from ebay. It was from a crate engine. I paid $350 shipped.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

So what's the true cost of swapping to an LS6? Assuming labor is free, you need the manifold itself, but are there other parts that need to be swapped? I understand that you have to delete the EGR. Is this just done with a tune, or do you have remove other parts from the car to make the manifold fit?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    So what's the true cost of swapping to an LS6? Assuming labor is free, you need the manifold itself, but are there other parts that need to be swapped? I understand that you have to delete the EGR. Is this just done with a tune, or do you have remove other parts from the car to make the manifold fit?
    Egr is the tube running off the top of your intake to the passenger side exhaust manifold. If you swap intakes you have to remove the piping with the valve and block off the exhaust manifold. You could also go with race style headers which don't come eith erg provisions.
    You don't need a tune but I would recommend one, your pcm adjusts for the recycled air that comes from your exhaust from factory. Besides the cost of the maniflold, blocking off the exh. Manifold, and a tune (if you wish to do so) that should be it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    EGR inlet tubes on the exhaust manifold will need to be capped if you do not get headers right away. Removal of EGR and Air Pump cost nothing but time. I also pulled the fuse to the Air Pump.

Installing the Intake can be done in a couple of hrs (just the Intake, if you do the below items then it will take an afternoon for a beginner).

I'd wait for a tune until you get headers if you have plans too. If you do just the Intake and TB no need for one till then.

Costs:
    EGR Cap Plates
    - $ 15
    LS6 Intake - $300, got mine new from craigslist
    P&P TB - $100 S2 Performance, should be new $150 but the same seller sold both the Intake and TB together so I go a discount price if I got both.
    OPSU - $55 - This you may have to have on hand, it becomes brittle of the lifetime of heat cycles and most 1st timers that remove the Intake break it. It is located behind the Intake on the drivers side. And yes I did break it too even after Orion warned me.
    Tune - $150, I got mine from Frost

Options while doing an Intake change:
    LS6 Valley Cover Tray Mod (this deletes the crappy pcv system on the LS1s) $58
    99'-02' Knock Sensors and Wire Harness upgrade for LS1's yrs > 98's - KS $ 34 x 2, WH $37
    Catch Can - $70 - $220, depends on where you get it and how it's setup.

I also painted mine to my body color, spent $30 for adhesion promoter, primer, color, and clear

Recommend doing these because you will have to take the Intake off IOT do these later (-) the catch can.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 03-22-2011 at 09:17 AM.

Thread Information