Thread: balancers

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

balancers

Dumb question but do the stock LS1s come with harmonic balancers?
    if they do are they any good or should they be upgraded?
    If they don't should one get it?

is this a good one to have?
    105-917276 ATI Serpentine Series Damper Assembly with Hub, 6-3/4" (10% Underdrive) LS1 F-Body $449.99 $449.99

or get this one instead:
    http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=100221

Or they worth getting? My plan is 400-410 RWHP N/A set-up

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Pulley Info on the Web

This web site has a pretty straight forward explanation of the crank pulley and harmonic pulley. As you will read most under drive pulleys do not have the harmonic portion.
    http://www.machv.com/tip11cranpul.html
    2000 Z28 M6, SLP Lid, SLP Bellows, SLP UD,
    P&P Maf, TB By-Pass, PS Shorties, LS6 Intake, FAST 78mm TB, Hooker CB, Hurst Billet, Front Tower Brace, small 218/218....527/527....114 cam.
    337rwhp/348rwtq

silver
    g body

I know Im a noob here. But I have 20+ years of building engines under my belt. I started selling and installing lighten underdrive pulleys in 1998. It wasnt until 2001 that I figured out they were more headache than useful on a street car. Every last one I installed, "EVERYONE" ended with bearing failure. I had nothing but problems. Now when I build an engine and Im looking to replace the factory drive with an underdrive, I look for one that utilizes a harmonic balancer. I warn my customers with, "you will have a problem its just a matter of time". Just to clarify underdrive pulleys arent bad, no harmonic balancer is bad.

hmmm one exception; underdrive pulleys are bad if you have a hi output stereo.

Art

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

damn that article opened my eyes lol..i'm deff not going to get a underdrive pulley without a harm balancer

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Black
    2005 GTO

Wow this is the first I have ever heard a underdrive pulley is bad for a street car. Although it does make sense.

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

It's not the underdrive it the lack of a harmonic balancer that usually doesn't come with a underdrive pully... I belive that is what i am getting out of it...makes sense though because usually they don't have it and they claim that the pully is 50% lighter than stock....well if you egt rid of half the material you would get a huge decrease in wieght

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Well think I am going to go with the SLP setup. cheaper and more underdrive and i think it will be just fine for my application for now

White
    98 Trans AM

On this same note here is what ASP stated at least for a 98 LS1 regarding the crank pulley.

"The 98 LS1 motor uses a crank pulley/ harmonic dampner all in one. Our pn 948500 is a harmonic dampner. These cars do not have balancers or weighted pulleys. The cranks are balanced. "

This sounds slightly off but again just what they said. I have had an underdrive pulley for several years and not had an issue but as others have said it may also just be shortening the time to a break down.?
    98 T/A: HPE 5.3 Heads, 238/242 113 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 stepped LT headers, Custom Y pipe, Cut out, Borla, NW 90MM TB, FAST 90MM Intake, TB Bypass, Under Drive Power steering and Crank, 150 Dry NOS, Yella Terra rockers, 3400 TC, HPE tuning,

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Slp

I have the SLP on my 2000 Z28. Better looking than the ASP to me (an Aluminum) appearance vice dark metal. I have had no problems with belt issues and certainly no bearings problems I am aware of. I guess if it goes to raising hell I will trade it on something else. I would think racing (loading-up) the stock engine would take its toll on any motor over time unless they were so designed (NASCAR).

98' trans am

dont race motors..even nascar get rebuilt pretty much after each race..i know nhra dr..the engines ussually get rebuilt after each weekend or sometimes even after runs..but once again 1000+ hp can prob take a toll on a engine

N/A nitrously aspirated stangslayer98's Avatar

black
    1998 trans am

had the asp for a couple years now no problems here

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

SLP's is Great for the price!!!!
    11 hp on the dyno to the wheels!!!!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

White
    98 Trans AM

In response to the NHRA question...yes, they rebuild the motor after EVERY run for basically evrything from pro stock on up!!! Would be nice to have that kind of money and talent, right!? As for the rest of us working class, I have had no issue with my ASP and did gain roughly 6 HP with a slightly quicker rev also.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Transam388 View Post
    In response to the NHRA question...yes, they rebuild the motor after EVERY run for basically evrything from pro stock on up!!! Would be nice to have that kind of money and talent, right!? As for the rest of us working class, I have had no issue with my ASP and did gain roughly 6 HP with a slightly quicker rev also.
    hell yea it would. thanks

Thread Information