Anyone ever devise a torque strap?

After installing the new headers and off road Y-pipe I have an issue of the driver side Y-pipe touching the floor pan when the trans is in drive and a judicous amount of gas is applied, the engine rocks over enough for the pipe to touch the floor.

After numerous attempts to adjust and readjust the pipes, I simply cannot gain anymore clearance than I already have.

I have come to the conclusion the engine just rocks around too much. Looking under and around the engine compartment things are pretty tight but I see a couple of possibilities for a torque strap.

I have always used and still use them on some other cars I have, but this LS1 seems to have alot of crap around taking up much needed space. Anyone here done this yet?

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

I'm sure it's been done before, but your problem stems from worn out motor mounts. Replace them with polyurethane mounts and your problems should be solved.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Mounts are good, car hardly has any mileage and is only 5 years old...I believe GM designs these mounts to move and be flexible on purpose to some extent,,,,,to remove any vibration and noise to create a comfortable and smooth ride. You can tell by looking at these motor mounts they have a hollow design for movement,,,(trans mount is same way) and are not nearly as solid as a stock rubber mount from say 20 years ago. I also believe this is done to reduce the shock on the weak drivetrain,,,,,Less warranty claims and customer complaints. This also explains why the factory Y-pipe is flat on the driver side just for this reason. They have it hanging rather low for floor pan clearance,,,and the flat pipe gives the ground clearance necessary for a low hanging pipe.

After looking things over last night, I built an adjustable rubber insulated torque strap and went for a drive. I have it set so the motor only moves about 3/4 to 1 inch and it is working great,,,no more pipe hitting the floor.
    I'll keep it this way for a while and see how it works long term. Thanks for the poly motor mount tip,,,,I may go that route later if it warrants more attention, but at this point I am happy. Larry.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

IMO any movement of the engine is lost torque to the wheels.
    The reason I went with Poly mounts is because my original motor mounts were so bad that the trans mounts would tear across from left to right, causing my shifter to move up and down over 1 inch. I went thru 2 1LE trans mounts before I discovered the bad drivers side motor mount. Oh yeah and when we seperated the clam shells the old rubber mount just fell out.

LOL, wow. I was tearing up trans mounts in my 6 speed car,,,simply because the torque arm was lifting up the tail housing when I hammered on it, but the motor never really moves from side to side on that car. A simple poly trans mount cured that car.

It's my 02 SS automatic that I am having issues with at the moment. And I agree, any engine movement is wasted energy, I use torque straps on most of my older cars. They are effective and easy to fab. As a matter of fact, GM had a bulletin/recall back in the late 60's for some of the big block cars for the installation of a torque strap, I have a couple of GM NOS kits in the box here that I use for templets on customer cars.

In any event, I have one fabbed on the 02 now, and went for a spirited drive, no more Y-pipe hitting the floor. I am going to change the design a little next weekend for something a little more effective and perminent.

I have heard of some sort of bump stop made by Mufflex. Can't find anything on their site, and I have used their systems before and have never seen anything like this mentioned.
    Know anything about these bumpstops? Sounds interesting.

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post

I have heard of some sort of bump stop made by Mufflex. Can't find anything on their site, and I have used their systems before and have never seen anything like this mentioned.
    Know anything about these bumpstops? Sounds interesting.
    Yes, go to www.mufflex-performance.com and on the 1st page if you scroll down you will see a part called the LS1-HR that sells for $40.
    I have it mounted on my 2002 SLP Camaro SS....

Thanks for the link, that helps a ton. Don't know why I couldn't find it before, but I went right to it with your link

Thread Information