Antifreeze smell

Ok I will try to give you all the details, if I forget something I will try to add it.

2000 ls1 firebird formula.

During winter starts I started noticing a slight antifreeze smell. I have been monitoring the coolant level and temps and coolant seems to be fine.

I have resumed weekend driving,It gets slightly warmer and gets up to temp faster than it used to but nothing alarming. Coolant is old and there is a squeaking noise coming from under the hood. Turning in the ac makes the noise stop maybe unrelated. Coolant looks to be due for a change dirty looking almost brown. Oil is little dark but not milky. Car still runs as good as ever. Afr on wideband are still spot on.

I am leaning toward bad water pump but am looking for a second opinion. Could also be a faulty thermostat?

Coolant smell is from outside the vehicle

Bright Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

Mines doing the same a i have a sneaky suspicion its the rad tank starting to separate from the core like they are known too do. Other possibility is your rad cap is old and letting steam pressure escape.

Rad cap is a consideration too. I think I am going to start with a drain of the antifreeze and a new cap and see if that helps. Heating up faster then normal makes me think it would be the thermostat.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Since you know that both the coolant and oil are old/dirty, I would change it before driving it any more.

Typically a water pump will start to make noise when it is on it's last thread because the bearings are going bad in it. Not always the case though.

Considering your antifreeze is dirty, I would suspect that your radiator is also probably dirty. Are your cooling fans working properly?

I have not check them yet. But will put that on the list..

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Since you know that both the coolant and oil are old/dirty, I would change it before driving it any more.

Typically a water pump will start to make noise when it is on it's last thread because the bearings are going bad in it. Not always the case though.

Considering your antifreeze is dirty, I would suspect that your radiator is also probably dirty. Are your cooling fans working properly?
    I say the oil is dirty but it only has 800 miles on it.. I use Mobile one synthetic. Its the oil that set in the car all winter so I might go ahead and change it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Maybe you need to do a seafoam cleaning...

My oil still looks brand new after putting 5K miles on it.

Started the car tonight and let it warm up. Finally noticing some antifreeze on the ground. It almost looks like it dripping off the alternator or bottom of the water pump. Def coming from the drivers side front of the engine bay.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by RogerStout:2764614
    Started the car tonight and let it warm up. Finally noticing some antifreeze on the ground. It almost looks like it dripping off the alternator or bottom of the water pump. Def coming from the drivers side front of the engine bay.
    Do you have the ls6 coolant cross over tube? It could be leaking there. The also I can't totally picture where the alternator is located but maybe check the hose that comes from the drivers side of the radiator. Another place could be the fitting that the coolant temperature sensor connects to. It is attached to the block right by the headers or manifolds on the drivers side. I would definitely inspect all hoses as well as what I mentioned.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Thread Information