Drive it like its stolen gillahoon's Avatar

White
    1998 Trans Am

another header question

I been reading lot about putting headers on my 98 ta a4 still got a couple of question maybe some one can help me out. I work for a auto parts store so i am getting a good deal on flowtech long tubes and flowtech Y pipe.

1: I know i need O2 exteions but do i need O2 sims too, is there 4 O2 sensors or only 2.

2: Should I use the flowtech gaskets that come with the headers.

3: I read that flowtech have a tine flang on the header so do i have to touge them of just snug.

4: I put NGK T55 in last yr less then 10k on them should I change them again.

5: Still have the stock wires dont know if i will have money for new ones will they be ok for now.

6: Also was told to run the car till the headers warm up then let them cool then retighted the header bolts.

I think that is all for now, thanks for the help. sorry for the spelling

hugger orange

I'd pickup a set of stock MLS gaskets (im still using my stock originals with no leaks)
    when you do the header swap pull you plugs to give you more room (good time to replace them since they are out)
    also on the drivers side head right infront of the sparkplug is your temp sensor unplug it and becareful not to break it off while doing the swap.
    it never hurts to heat the headers up then recheck your bolts .
    stock you have 4 o2 sensors.....front 2 tell the computer rich/lean to make the engine run right.......you need these 2, there should be a hole in the header collecter for them......
    the rear two (after the cats) tell the computer if the cats are working properly ( you can delete these).......without them you will have an SES light on, if your not going to do anymore mods for awhile I'd reckomend getting a tune, they can turn your SES light off and get some more Hp out of your car.......Frost has a site you can goto for info on a mail order tune www.tunedbyfrost.com

Drive it like its stolen gillahoon's Avatar

White
    1998 Trans Am

what are mls gaskets

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    I'd pickup a set of stock MLS gaskets (im still using my stock originals with no leaks)
    when you do the header swap pull you plugs to give you more room (good time to replace them since they are out)
    also on the drivers side head right infront of the sparkplug is your temp sensor unplug it and becareful not to break it off while doing the swap.
    it never hurts to heat the headers up then recheck your bolts .
    stock you have 4 o2 sensors.....front 2 tell the computer rich/lean to make the engine run right.......you need these 2, there should be a hole in the header collecter for them......
    the rear two (after the cats) tell the computer if the cats are working properly ( you can delete these).......without them you will have an SES light on, if your not going to do anymore mods for awhile I'd reckomend getting a tune, they can turn your SES light off and get some more Hp out of your car.......Frost has a site you can goto for info on a mail order tune www.tunedbyfrost.com

hugger orange

MLS =multi layer steel
    its several very thin pieces of sheet metal rivited together.....the gaskets that usually come with headers are a modified paper that are prone to blow out

NBM
    2002 Camaro

MLS= Multi Layer Steel, same as factory.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by NoscamaroSS View Post
    MLS= Multi Layer Steel, same as factory.
    yup I'm still running my stock originals.

just curious, what are your cam specs? those are some impressive times!

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

on most lts stock wires will not work..they will lay on the primaries and burn right through...now would be a good time to refresh your T55s..since they are copper..they really only have a 20k lifespan..also change the wires to msd...they have bendable boots..so you can bend the boot to clear the headers

98' trans am

going through the heating cycle is pretty important..since metal will expand when it heats up...also i would suggest you put some blue thread locker on the bolts and tighten them down as snug as possible if you dont have a torque wrench to torque them down to spec..also as stated before..go with MLS gaskets

98' trans am

no need for sims either....get either 2 o2 extensions 24" or get the bosch corvette 02s since they will reach without extensions

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    yup I'm still running my stock originals.

just curious, what are your cam specs? those are some impressive times!
    Its just a tiny 224. Plan on stepping up to a bigger one w/heads before too long.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by NoscamaroSS View Post
    Its just a tiny 224. Plan on stepping up to a bigger one w/heads before too long.
    sweet! im running a 220/224 .570/.580 112lsa with ported and polished stock 241's on mine......the GTO is probably alittle heavier than yours, no times or numbers yet, but as of now will have times this weekend!
    ive been told stepping up to a 228, might give 15 peak horse power.....dont know if thats worth the work

Thread Information