Black
    2001 T/A M6

Another Exhaust Question

ok I need a new exaust, its not a stock one on it now, i think its a flowmaster, the person i bought it from must have done it before, and the shop that did it sucked extremely bad, but heres my questions

i'm still fairly new at this my knowledge of cars isn't highly advanced but a lot better then most. It seems that most ppl here are running Pacesetter LT headers with a Y pipe, im not sure who or what an ORY is, so i need that explained too. But also with the cat back system, i don't have the money its going to take for a full system right now but I will soon, but im gona do what i can, i just need some advice
    this isn't an everyday car weekends, or good days only, my town doesn't have an Emissions check as of yet, but they have been gunning for it about 2 yrs now so its gona come sooner or later, i read in a thread that LT's are illegal anyway reguardless but ppl are still running them, i can get an inspection sticker and im not really worried about it but i need some advice, tips on what i should do with my exaust system now

I wanted to do this Pacesetter LT's with a Y pipe and a cutout, after that is where it gets dicey for me, the cat backs, i know i need high flow cats and from judging other post Corsa looks best but expensive, and mufflers i wanted to use Flowmasters, but im told Magnaflows are better i like the sound, but prefer performance, if anyone can help me out here id greatly appreciate it, i plan on ordering my parts tonight or tomorrow
    if someone could help me put together an expensive system and then a not so expensive system so i can have an option on which to go with that would be even better
    oh and sorry for making this post so long, and if this has been something disvcussed over and over again im sorry for that too, again im new to this site and have not have a chance to fully look around

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Alright, heres very basic. A cat back system. Plain and simple. If you want to send even less money than that, go for a cutout.

Expensive? Some of the higher end catbacks like Borla, Corsa, GMMG, and Bassani will run you $700+. True duals are also a good option, depending upon your setup they can range anywhere from $400 to $800. A full exhaust would be LongTubes, ORY, and Cat back. You can also swap the long tubes and ory for mid length or shorties with a cated Y. Another option is to run longtubes with custom tubing over the axel with no mufflers. Loudest thing you can get I think just short of glasspacks.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

An ORY is an off-road Y-pipe. Basically means it has no cats.
    There are many catbacks out there and will all provide about the same gains, just different exhaust volume and tone. But definately ditch the flowmaster.
    I think the best setup would be LT's and true-duals dumped before the axle.

Black
    2001 T/A M6

im not looking for extremly loud that draws too much attention and cops here like anywhere are assholes and will pull you over for stupid shit rather then get the guy drinking and driving they would rather check your windows tint level...i was looking at pacesetter LT's but not sure which Y pipe to use, id prefer it have cats, but whats the difference in shorties and LT's HP wise? i do eventually want to put a cam in it and maybe more

i found the bad spot in the exaust, right underneath the left cat, this car already has a cat-back system, but again its a shitty job and i don't like the flat part on the driver side its too restricting so i want it all gone, its dumped over the axle right now
    oh yeah should i go with 2.5 or 3' pipes? im thinkin 2.5 because id like to lower it 1.25 eventually
    Last edited by Blackout01; 05-22-2007 at 09:05 PM.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

you can run LT's and a Catted Y-pipe and be legal. Just watch the ground clearance. If you keep that hooked up to your current cat-back system and then install a cutout, you will have the best of both worlds:

Loud when you have the cutout open, and quiet when it's closed. that's really all the info you need. now go out and do it...
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

NBM
    1998Z28

Hooker Catback isn't that expensive and flows extremly well and is very quiet. I run a cutout on my y before it goes over the axles and there was only about a 7hp difference between cutout open/closed. However there is a world of difference in the noise level. With the DMH it goes from quiet to nasty in about 3 seconds. The only thing bad about the hooker catback is their sorry exaust tips. I picked up an aftermarket set that look like the original rectangular ones from Fast Toys for $100 bucks.

Thread Information