Dark Steel Metalic
    98 T/A

Annoying Exhaust.....any fixes?

98 T/A with BBK shorty headers, Pacesetter Y-pipe.

When my factory muffler rusted to pieces, I eliminated the rear 20% of the tubing and just bought a dirt track true-straight-through style muffler and just had it dumped at the differential. Now that I've done engine work (heads, cam, intake and headers) around 2500-4000 rpm, the exhaust develops an "ack-ack-ack-ack" noise characteristic of a car running with open headers.

Keeping the exhaust dumped at/near the differential, does anyone have any experience with a muffler that is minimal in size (since I don't have all the space behind the rear bumper) that would get rid of this annoying sound? I've tried adding a 2nd mini-muffler and even a 12" resonator. All they have succeeded in doing was quieting down the car, not eliminating that particular noise.

Is it even possible to remove the annoyance, or is something with the build causing it that can be altered?

Oh yeah, no cats and no emissions equipment either.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

That noise is most likely coming from the exhaust tubing vibrating against the the body. Look around and see if you have a lot of play. There are several spots that is used to secure the tubing to help with the vibration. The first one is on the passenger side near the transmission. It has a rubber bushing to absorb the vibrations. Most of the time it is removed when ORY and LT's are installed. There is a aftermarket clamp that goes for around $50. I just made my own and it helps. The next 2 clamps that are located on both sides of the rear frame near the fuel tank. These hold the muffler and the exit tubing in place. Now because you have dropped the exhaust and the axle you might need to fab a new bracket to hold the tubing there.

A buddy of mine that is running true duals that dump at the axle, made a bracket to attached to the tubing and mounts to the body using the tunnel cross member holes.

Dark Steel Metalic
    98 T/A

When I got to the house, I took a look at the hangers and bushings that you suggested, and even though I've got aftermarket y-pipes, they don't touch the chassis anywhere and all the bushings seem to be good. I was talking to a guy that came into work today, and he said that some cams just have a rattle at the beginning of their operating range. Does this sound right?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I'd have to hear it...not sure what he means

yellow
    2004 pontiac gto

yes. it is called valve tick. i get it out of my headers at low speeds. and it causes a pop also. i put a dyno max muffler about 2 ft before the back of the bumper and then pipe the rest of the way out. the noise has just about all gone.

Thread Information