Black
    1998 Z28 M6

Air intake setup question.

I have been looking at the K&N FIPK and the Volant cold air intakes recently. I like both setups but I don't see myself spending the $250-350 for one to replace my current factory air box(I know) with free ram air and K&N flat panel filter.

I have a functional SS hood that I want to take advantage of and I was wondering if it's possible to just run a filter on the end of the mass air meter and what would have to be changed to make this work? What does the small tube on the factory air intake assembly go to and what does it do? What would happen if I just removed the factory air intake assembly and mounted a filter directly on the mass air meter?

I was looking at one of the AMSoil reusable conical filters(which I didn't even know existed until I saw another thread where Sarge posted his) and was thinking about finding one of the flatter ones with the correct mounting size and slapping it on the mass air meter.

Thoughts? Comments? Advice?

Edit to add: What I was picturing is an SLP bellow from the throttle body to the mas air meter and then a conical filter on the end of the mass air meter sitting right behind the air intake above the radiator.
    Last edited by LS1nterceptor; 08-29-2008 at 08:40 AM.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

i would see why this wouldn't work. . just a little fabrication involved. one thing the volant would have over this is it is seal to the hood, insuring all air comes from outside the engine bay. if you tackle this, keep us updated!!!

Black
    1998 Z28 M6

Ya I know about the Volant hood seal and I like it, just not $250+ worth of like. I know a lot of people aren't too keen on the open element filter in the engine bay because of hot engine air, but I figured between the air supply fed from underneath the car and the air supply fed from the SS hood the engine should have plenty of cooler air to suck on once the car is moving.

Unless someone can give me a technical reason why it won't work I think I'm going to use one of the $35 SLP bellows from Ebay and a $60 AMSoil filter and see what happens. But since I never see anyone do this on Camaros I can't help but feel there is a reason for it.

I'm kind of disappointed at the lack of aftermarket cold air intakes available for the LS1 Camaro. I've been wondering why no one makes an extended tube style intake with a remote mounted filter like they do for the GTO. Or what they make for the Corvette with the extended tube that arks down towards the bottom of the radiator and has an open element filter.

I've heard that the Camaro is a bottom breather and I know most people are happy with their lid and flat panel filter, I guess I'm just a tinkerer by nature and want something different. I just can't help but think that I can make it breath better for cheaper than what's offered out there. Or at least have fun trying.
    Last edited by LS1nterceptor; 08-29-2008 at 01:01 PM.

so you've got me thinkin over the weekend about this . . . i was plannin on goin with a volant for my car, but i think i'm gonna experiment with this along with ya first . . . any ideas yet? what if you could could build an enclosed boxed around the filter(s) like the volant. . maybe out of aluminum?
    Both volants for reference:
    Camaro:

Firebird:
    Last edited by GULLETT17; 09-02-2008 at 10:49 AM.

Black
    1998 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    so you've got me thinkin over the weekend about this . . . i was plannin on goin with a volant for my car, but i think i'm gonna experiment with this along with ya first . . . any ideas yet? what if you could could build an enclosed boxed around the filter(s) like the volant. . maybe out of aluminum?
    I have been thinking about it but due to work I have only gotten a few minutes to check it out under the hood.

My original idea was just to use a bellow to the mass air meter, and then mount a filter on the front of the mass air. I hadn't even thought about trying to build an airbox. I could do it if I had the dimensions but just eyeballing it and guessing and trying to make it fit by trial and error would be very time consuming.

My original idea involved removing the upper air intake box housing and having the filter sit there. But after looking at it, the angle of the bellow and mass air meter would make the filter sit at a funky angle on top of the factory lower air box assembly. So now I am thinking of trying to remove the entire air box, upper and lower, and make custom radiator brackets. That will let the air filter sit at a slightly less awkward angle.

Basically what I need to do is take the assembly apart and get all the measurements and try to find a filter that will fit. A problem is going to be finding a filter to test fit. I've got a couple of older K&N conical filters sitting around from other cars that I can use to get an idea but it won't be exact.

Also I don't know why the Volant has a breather on the side. When I looked I didn't see anything that looked like a hose that would require a breather on the factory assembly. What I did notice was the small sensor that sits in the factory air box right in front of the mass air and is wired into the mass air harness. I'm not sure exactly what that does or if it can be eliminated. Fortunately it looks like it will just require a small hole to be drilled if it is important.

One thing I could probably do without too much effort would be to make a flat mount like the K&N FIPK out of aluminum but it wouldn't seal to the hood.

If I get a chance to mess with anything I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by LS1nterceptor View Post
    My original idea was just to use a bellow to the mass air meter, and then mount a filter on the front of the mass air. I hadn't even thought about trying to build an airbox. I could do it if I had the dimensions but just eyeballing it and guessing and trying to make it fit by trial and error would be very time consuming.
    I agree that it might be time consuming. But I have an idea on how to make this easy. But it would be hard to explain this to you without a visual
    My original idea involved removing the upper air intake box housing and having the filter sit there. But after looking at it, the angle of the bellow and mass air meter would make the filter sit at a funky angle on top of the factory lower air box assembly. So now I am thinking of trying to remove the entire air box, upper and lower, and make custom radiator brackets. That will let the air filter sit at a slightly less awkward angle.
    Yes this is one of the reason I was thinkin to make a custom box to give a finished look after removing both the upper and lower box. The radiator brackets could be incorporated into this as well.
    Also I don't know why the Volant has a breather on the side. When I looked I didn't see anything that looked like a hose that would require a breather on the factory assembly. What I did notice was the small sensor that sits in the factory air box right in front of the mass air and is wired into the mass air harness. I'm not sure exactly what that does or if it can be eliminated. Fortunately it looks like it will just require a small hole to be drilled if it is important.
    This filter will not be required on your 98. It will only be needed on a 00-02, I believe. And off the top of my head, I cant really remember what this is for. I wanna say it has something to do with the AIR, but I dont know why it requires a breather.

Electron Blue
    2002 C5 Z06

This filter will not be required on your 98. It will only be needed on a 00-02, I believe. And off the top of my head, I cant really remember what this is for. I wanna say it has something to do with the AIR, but I dont know why it requires a breather.
    Yes, it is for the AIR pump. I'm guessing it needs a breather so that nothing big enough will get in there and bust the pump or get into your exhaust.

Black
    1998 Z28 M6

Good to know.

I just got done taking it apart and measuring. Without the lower air box assembly the mass air meter and filter could sit almost completely level in front of the throttle body. I'm going in a little while to see if I can find some type of hose to us for the throttle body to mass air. I wasn't aware of the large size difference(1/2 inch) between the two until now. At least without the lower air box I won't have to worry about finding a way to make a curved bellow.

I'm going to start by just trying to make a straight bellow, finding a filter that will fit, and making radiator brackets. If I can get that to work then I start on fabricating an air box.

Good to know.

I just got done taking it apart and measuring. Without the lower air box assembly the mass air meter and filter could sit almost completely level in front of the throttle body. I'm going in a little while to see if I can find some type of hose to us for the throttle body to mass air. I wasn't aware of the large size difference(1/2 inch) between the two until now. At least without the lower air box I won't have to worry about finding a way to make a curved bellow.

I'm going to start by just trying to make a straight bellow, finding a filter that will fit, and making radiator brackets. If I can get that to work then I start on fabricating an air box.
    Hell yeah man! Keep us updated! I'll start messin with mine tonite!

hey man . . . i took the air box apart this weekend, and i think ive gotta plan of action. . . im gonna stop by the hardware store sometime this week to get some materials so i can play with some ideas. where do you plan on gettin your cone filters? are you gonna use k & n?

Black
    1998 Z28 M6

I've got a cone filter off another car sitting around. I think it's a 9" round and I don't know if it's going to fit or not. I haven't gotten to play with it because I was on-call for work due to the hurricane and now it's back to the regular grind. Between that and all the remodeling on the house I haven't had time to do anything. Hopefully that is going to change soon.

I've got a couple of ideas, one includes using the factory style filter. I'm going to try making a custom radiator bracket and eliminate the factory set up completely and try to find some hump hose around here to replace the bellow. Then make a custom intake box that sits in front facing forward kind of like the WS6 on the LT1.

I also know a guy around here who makes custom bended tubing and does his own intakes on all his cars. We're going to take everything apart up front and see what can be done in the way of making something.

If I ever get a chance to do any of this stuff I'll post pictures. Let me know what you come up with.

hugger orange

hey yall I have an 04 gto so I'm not sure how much room you have to it but I couldn't see paying that much money either. I went to home depot and picked up 4" pvc drain pipe (assorted elbows and 2 4"-4" rubber boots) mocked my pipe layout up then glued everything together. as of now I'm running an SD tune so I don't have a maf but when I did I mounted it right behind my cone filter. ran the pipe witha trimmed 90° to the drivers side and dumped it out through a hole I cut in the front of the wheel well.
    I spent $35 for all the pipe I needed then after I was done painted it black....looks just as good as store bought and works as good too

Thread Information