Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

4" cutout or 4" mufflex catback?

So with my exhaust set up 2" X 3.5" Kooks headers through a 3.5 to a 4" Y pipe I was thinking about getting a cutout and installing it after the y pipe so I don't have to get rid of my LM1 and buy a mufflex 4" catback. I have never had a cutout before, so is QTP a good company to buy them from? They seem to be one of the few that make them in that size. The other option is forgetting the cutout and getting a 4" mufflex catback. Will either supply better performance over the other?
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

My vote would be to go for the 4" mufflex system for max power potential through the exhaust. Too bad you're so far away, I'll have my complete 4" mufflex system with Magnaflow stainless muffler forsale soon. Love the system, excellent fitment, but it's my wifes car and she is sick of it. Everyone wants to race. Around town you can't even limp it around without people thinking you're reving it, you hear it coming 3 blocks away, you don't need a cutout with this system . It wales at full throttle, and people compliment the sound of the car all the time and my wife hates that, lol.

But, for a single catback system, there isn't anything better out there.

Going with a 4" cutout and leaving your 3" catback in place would work I guess. Would be a big change in AFR ratios opening the 4" cutout, then closing it and forcing the engine through a single 3" system.

I have dual electric cutouts on my chevelle, along with a custom dual 3" system, Dr. Gas "X" etc... Frankly I prefer to race the car through the mufflers, it runs almost the same.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    My vote would be to go for the 4" mufflex system for max power potential through the exhaust. Too bad you're so far away, I'll have my complete 4" mufflex system with Magnaflow stainless muffler forsale soon. Love the system, excellent fitment, but it's my wifes car and she is sick of it. Everyone wants to race. Around town you can't even limp it around without people thinking you're reving it, you hear it coming 3 blocks away, you don't need a cutout with this system . It wales at full throttle, and people compliment the sound of the car all the time and my wife hates that, lol.

But, for a single catback system, there isn't anything better out there.

Going with a 4" cutout and leaving your 3" catback in place would work I guess. Would be a big change in AFR ratios opening the 4" cutout, then closing it and forcing the engine through a single 3" system.

I have dual electric cutouts on my chevelle, along with a custom dual 3" system, Dr. Gas "X" etc... Frankly I prefer to race the car through the mufflers, it runs almost the same.
    I was leaning towards the mufflex system anyways, good point about my AFR changing significantly when opening and closing the cutout and going from 3" to 4". Depending how much you are selling it for I may buy it and pay to ship it if you would do shipping.

Probably not worth your while to buy mine. The shipping would be too much. I've had a couple offers locally for $500 from some of the 4th gen crowd around here, I just have to get the darn system off the car and I haven't had the time.

I paid $600-$650 for the complete setup by the time it was shipped to my door, so by the time I shipped it to you, you wouldn't be saving all that much if you bought at the price I've been offered.

They are excellent systems however, if they made a quieter muffler for it I'd likely keep it. I paid extra for the Magnaflow muffler setup which was supposed to be the quietest of the bunch (flowmaster-spintech etc..) with Magnaflow being the more expensive of the 3. Still loud as hell though in my opinion. Oddly enough it doesn't drone and isn't bad on the highway at all, but around town it gets attention. My wife didn't realize how much noise she was making until she drove with the windows down the other day. She came home and said she wanted that off the car pronto,,,,hahaha.

Black/ Silver

Probably not worth your while to buy mine. The shipping would be too much. I've had a couple offers locally for $500 from some of the 4th gen crowd around here, I just have to get the darn system off the car and I haven't had the time.

I paid $600-$650 for the complete setup by the time it was shipped to my door, so by the time I shipped it to you, you wouldn't be saving all that much if you bought at the price I've been offered.

They are excellent systems however, if they made a quieter muffler for it I'd likely keep it. I paid extra for the Magnaflow muffler setup which was supposed to be the quietest of the bunch (flowmaster-spintech etc..) with Magnaflow being the more expensive of the 3. Still loud as hell though in my opinion. Oddly enough it doesn't drone and isn't bad on the highway at all, but around town it gets attention. My wife didn't realize how much noise she was making until she drove with the windows down the other day. She came home and said she wanted that off the car pronto,,,,hahaha.
    Lol. Damn they are $730 new now lol. I guess I'll be buying a new catback once I get the rest of my exhaust done.

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Lol. Damn they are $730 new now lol. I guess I'll be buying a new catback once I get the rest of my exhaust done.
    Crap They have shot up in price then. I didn't know, and I just bought mine a few months ago. In that case you could save quite a bit buying mine.

That $730 price from Mufflex turns into about $780 or more because of the oversize surcharge they nail you with on shipping.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Crap They have shot up in price then. I didn't know, and I just bought mine a few months ago. In that case you could save quite a bit buying mine.

That $730 price from Mufflex turns into about $780 or more because of the oversize surcharge they nail you with on shipping.
    Which one do you have the $730 is for the dual tail pipe one. If yours is that I would gladly take it off your hands.

Nope, I preferred the hidden tailpipe for a couple reasons. One, I don't want to look at it. Two, the single in/single out mufflers flow better.

You got me curious though so I looked it up. Even my system has shot up to $660. When I bought it I paid $595 plus shipping. Pretty hefty price jump.

Black/ Silver

Nope, I preferred the hidden tailpipe for a couple reasons. One, I don't want to look at it. Two, the single in/single out mufflers flow better.

You got me curious though so I looked it up. Even my system has shot up to $660. When I bought it I paid $595 plus shipping. Pretty hefty price jump.
    Ah I like dual pipes I wish there was a system like the LM1 but with 4" piping, my TA would look goofy with one pipe or no tips out the back imo. I'll probably buy a mufflex new then.

Thread Information