Red
    1995 Trans Am 6spd

3" catback question

Was wondering if any of you gentlemen/women could answer a quick question for me.

I just picked up a 95 T/A(yeah not LS1 but the answer and this question will still apply) Already on the car was a K&N FIPK and a Hypertech programmer.

I did some research and decided to go with a catback as my first mod, I ordered a 3" Magnaflow.
    Now what I'm wonder about is that after further research that in true duals you don't need 3" until around 500 HP, 3" before that will actually hurt low end torque.

Does this apply to a 3" catback as well or not since I still have the stock headers/y-pipe still.

Basically if I'm wondering if I should go ahead and stick the magnaflow on or return it and go with a 2.5" system. thanks for the help!

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by Followthehollowx View Post
    Was wondering if any of you gentlemen/women could answer a quick question for me.

I just picked up a 95 T/A(yeah not LS1 but the answer and this question will still apply) Already on the car was a K&N FIPK and a Hypertech programmer.

I did some research and decided to go with a catback as my first mod, I ordered a 3" Magnaflow.
    Now what I'm wonder about is that after further research that in true duals you don't need 3" until around 500 HP, 3" before that will actually hurt low end torque.

Does this apply to a 3" catback as well or not since I still have the stock headers/y-pipe still.

Basically if I'm wondering if I should go ahead and stick the magnaflow on or return it and go with a 2.5" system. thanks for the help!
    your thinking is the opposite. a 3" will help improve TQ across the entire powerband. being that you also have an LT1 you already have some low end TQ grunt. 2.5" is good for mid to high-end. Stick w/the 3" system, you will be happy that you did, esp if you have any future mods planned.
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Thread Information