RED
    2002 SS

2002 35th SS (Long tube Headers)

I recently purchased a 2002 camaro ss with the 35th anniv. SLP edition package installed. This includes the center mound slp exaust with the 345hp instead of the stock ss with 325hp. I was wondering what style of Long Tube headers will fit this exaust system on my car. I also want to buy a set of electrical cutouts... will I need just one or should i use 2 on my downtubes? And where should they be placed? i would like for them to open like the new C6 Z06 does when it reaches a certain rpm. that way i dont have to flip a swith to make this thing sound mean. does anyone know how i should go about wiring them in?

Silver
    2002 Z28

Okay, I'll try to tackle most of this one for you. To my knowledge, all LTs will fit the stock SLP exhaust without major modifications, I'd suggest QTP, Kooks, Pacesetters, flowtech, or SLP (if you aren't planning on lowering). As far as the cutouts go, you can go either way, but know that if you mount dual cutouts to the headers: a) they'll sit really low, and clearance could become an issue (even at stock height). b) you'll need a tune for your car to run well at open headers. As far as the RPM regulated idea, buy a window switch, what is normally used for nitrous, and then set your parameters. I'd be sure to wire in an override switch though, so that you can also open and close at will. <--Personally, I've run open headers and my interest would be reversed, I love the sound of a cammed LS1 at idle, but high RPMS are a bit too loud, and tend to lead to burnt valves.
    There's someone on this board with a more intricate version of this idea, I'll see if I can dig up his video. Basically, he had true duals with 2 cutouts per side, before being fed into a stock exhaust. RPMs 0-2000 was Open-headers, then at 2000 the header cutouts closed and the cutouts just behind the X-pipe opened. This gave him the torque curve he wanted for a street car, as well as the sound. I will note that at the time he posted, he hadn't yet considered an override box... which to me didn't explain why he had stock exhaust still on there; why have it if you can't use it and go sleeper-mode? Just my .02, hope it helps.
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

The C6 Z06 comes w/ factory cutouts? i didn't know that.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Sounds like a lot of work just to avoid flippin' a switch. Keep it simple and get the electric cutouts and just flip the switch when you want open headers...don't be so lazy.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Quote Originally Posted by Jon7I2 View Post
    The C6 Z06 comes w/ factory cutouts? i didn't know that.

as far as I know its just baffles that open up in the exhaust near WOT
    sounds great!!
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_LS1 View Post
    as far as I know its just baffles that open up in the exhaust near WOT
    sounds great!!
    Yeah, the factory exhaust have a few butterfly valves that open up near WOT for a nasty sound. That's why most of the vids of the new Z06 sound like they already have some sort of exhaust bolt-ons on them, but they really don't.

Thread Information