2001 temp gauge: how should look with 160t-stat

2001 owners...

... running a 160thermostat...

... what did your temp gauge read with the stock 'stat, and what does it read with a 160stat installed?

(thanks!)

-T

(mine moved but just a tiny bit... not near as much as it should have if the gauge is displaying accurate temp readings... feedback from friends says the gauges are not virtual to temp, but almost "dummy" in nature... )

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I can't speak for a 160 thermostat -- but after installing a 180 degree thermostat in our '02, the stock gauge really did not move. It still reads about 200-205 all the time after the car is warmed up.

However, on a scanner the temps dropped considerably and the engine now runs from 184 to 192 depending upon engine load, AC, and outside temp. This is with the fans reprogrammed for the lower temp thermostat. Your stock temp gauge is an approximation at best. Check it with a scanner to see your real temps.

I gotta get me a data logger but my wife will kill me if I blow $600 right now.

-T

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Teeeman View Post
    I gotta get me a data logger but my wife will kill me if I blow $600 right now.

-T

Anyone with a scanner -- your mechanic, a friend, Autozone, etc... can at least give you an idea of your temps. Before I bought my scanner, I used a laser temp gun that I picked up for about $50. Works great reading the temp off the thermostat housing, hoses and heads. Did you have your fans reprogrammed for the cooler thermostat?

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

My 2000 gauge only stopped a hair short of the stock stat. after my 160 install, but the data logger showed the running temp. of about 177 so i know it works.
    The 160's will not run at 160 for this design so 175-180 is about all you get with the 160 anyway. You are fine

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Anyone with a scanner -- your mechanic, a friend, Autozone, etc... can at least give you an idea of your temps. Before I bought my scanner, I used a laser temp gun that I picked up for about $50. Works great reading the temp off the thermostat housing, hoses and heads. Did you have your fans reprogrammed for the cooler thermostat?

Yes, PCMFORLESS tune is in (did tune and stat Saturday together).

I expected the op temp to be higher than the stat rating, that is pretty normal... thanks for giving me numbers and a way to check...

-T
    Last edited by Teeeman; 08-27-2009 at 07:18 AM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

1999 yr model and up used only one sender. While 98's had two. One going to the PCM and one going to the guage. That guage you are looking at in your 2001 is nothing more then a dummy... Hot, Cold, Over heat guage. Nothing more. EIther buy a good full sweep gauge like some of us, or buy a god scanning tool (HPT). Or, buy both and really go in the hole

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Or, buy both and really go in the hole
    Heheheh!

(yes!)

-T

Thread Information