Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

2000 T/A WS-6 Starters and fit problem 6492 vs. 6482

Hi guys,

Starter went out in my T/A. Found the GM part number and searched online for one to buy. Ended up finding one on ebay for cheap. Checked everything and determined the item was for my application.

So when it arrived, I pulled the old starter out, and tried to put the new one in. But I could not get it to go back in. Pulled it back out and compared the new one with the OEM one (6482) and discovered the new one (6492) was the newer type with two long bolts unlike the OEM which had one long, one short bolt attachment setup.

I've read that this was done to reinforce the starter structure and that you can just use a second long bolt in place of the short one. My problem was though, that there was some protrusion from the trans or block (?) that was blocking the new starter from going in where it needed to be because of the lengthened inner bolt shaft. I honestly don't see how one could get the two long bolt type (6492) in place. So I had to drive 1.5 hours to the warehouse that sent it and luckily found a reman. Delco starter that was the same format as the one I already had in the car.

Just want to know if anyone with a WS-6 (makes a difference?) has successfully mounted the two long bolt version starter in place.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by blunce View Post
    Hi guys,

Starter went out in my T/A. Found the GM part number and searched online for one to buy. Ended up finding one on ebay for cheap. Checked everything and determined the item was for my application.

So when it arrived, I pulled the old starter out, and tried to put the new one in. But I could not get it to go back in. Pulled it back out and compared the new one with the OEM one (6482) and discovered the new one (6492) was the newer type with two long bolts unlike the OEM which had one long, one short bolt attachment setup.

I've read that this was done to reinforce the starter structure and that you can just use a second long bolt in place of the short one. My problem was though, that there was some protrusion from the trans or block (?) that was blocking the new starter from going in where it needed to be because of the lengthened inner bolt shaft. I honestly don't see how one could get the two long bolt type (6492) in place. So I had to drive 1.5 hours to the warehouse that sent it and luckily found a reman. Delco starter that was the same format as the one I already had in the car.

Just want to know if anyone with a WS-6 (makes a difference?) has successfully mounted the two long bolt version starter in place.
    yes many of us here including myself have done so. the block should be milled flat on the starter flange and it should mount up just fine. are you sure the snouts were the same

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    yes many of us here including myself have done so. the block should be milled flat on the starter flange and it should mount up just fine. are you sure the snouts were the same
    The problem was not on the mounting surfaces, it was that the longer bolt channel where it was originally short, was hitting some nub with a hole in it on the side of the block. I was easily able to get the replacement in place last night. When I tried to put the "new and improved" version in there I could not get it to clear that small nub, which doesn't appear to be doing anything. It's about 2" long X 2" wide and has a circular hole in it. Don't know what it is or what it's for, but it wasn't letting me mount the newer type starter.

Thread Information