Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am M6

2000 T/A, Ram Air.. T-56 Transmission Removal?

Hey guys... Monday and Tuesday I am going up to my buddy's shop and we are going to pull the T-56 out of my 2000 trans am... I am putting in all new hydraulics and a new LS7 clutch kit... My question is, will this be pretty much a normal tranny removal?? What should I have to do to just get it to come out of there? We have a lift and a transmission jack... But what do I need to look out for and make sure I do? Any tips?

black, and black
    04 M6

tranny

pretty much liek any other tranny removeall just be prepared its a heavy tranny

Awaiting Activation
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelmanLS1 View Post
    Hey guys... Monday and Tuesday I am going up to my buddy's shop and we are going to pull the T-56 out of my 2000 trans am... I am putting in all new hydraulics and a new LS7 clutch kit... My question is, will this be pretty much a normal tranny removal?? What should I have to do to just get it to come out of there? We have a lift and a transmission jack... But what do I need to look out for and make sure I do? Any tips?
    First, make sure you have a lot of extentions for your wrenches! -- And a 26 spline alignment tool.

I would remove the trans from the bellhousing first, then the bellhousing from the back of the engine. Much easier that way. - Trying to take it off in one piece is a pain in the ass.

Also, there are 2 alignment pins that are on the bellhousing that go into the trans - they might be stuck in there pretty good. So you might have to pry the trans and bellhousing apart even after all the bolts are out.
    So after i had the trans and bellhousing out i sanded those 2 alignment pins a little to make sure that they slide back into the trans easily. I would test getting the bellhousing and trans back together on the ground to make sure the pinds slide in easily -- its a lot easier than with the heavy ass trans in the air!!

When i did mine it was a pain trying to get the trans down because the tailshaft of the trans would keep hitting the y-pipe. So you may have to keep going back and forth until you can clear the exhaust. Just be very careful with the trans input shaft.

Hope this helps. I have the LS7 clutch/ LS2 fly combo and love it!! Feels just like stock, but with a lot more holding power!!

Thread Information