midnight blue metalic
    2001 camaro z28

1998 z28 hard on knees 4th gens getting scarce????

DSC00557.jpg
    Ok these are getting scarce but appreciating whats you guy's opinion?
    Low in front, hydraulic clutches , plugs hard to get at, lotta electronics!!!
    V.ats, Are these dependable??? Will the motor and tranny rear end and clutch reach high miles like 200,000 w/ stock condition and driven normal??
    Are 4th gens still popular and sought after? Will smog probs plague them in California after 100,000 miles?? Hartops are rare and more valuable?
    Are the 2009 Camaro ss's any better engineering wise for dependability? Let me know if they can be worth driving maintining into the future or just be another old worthless car?

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

If you're looking for a "stock" car, one of the things that GM was shooting for with the LS1 (can't comment on the LT1) was that the engine was to be benchmarked as the first 200,000 mile V8 in the world. That said, many of these cars have surpassed that and of those that have not, most of them are more than half way there.... which basically means that you're getting "left overs" if that means anything to you.

Lot's of plastic bits throughout the car, which crack and break (depending on storage and climate, etc...). Certain parts are getting harder to find (like the dash pad, for example).

Considering that the transmission is the same one used in Vipers of the time, you should see a long life out of them. Concerning the T56, it's noteworthy that the 2000 and up models have the "Viper" 2nd gear, which is more robust and resilient than the previous model years. 2ng gear is probably the most "abused" gear, so it's nice to have one that can take the punishment.

General consensus is to stick with 2001 or 2002 model years. These come with certain refinements that GM developed to improve the engine (the Camaro continues to benefit from Corvette's engineering department).

If you're worried about the rear end, an auto trans is probably your best bet. The taller gearing is "softer" on the wear and tear of the ring and pinion. If you like a manual, the 3.42 is pretty good; though, according to some, they have been known to break under stock horsepower (while others have run 500+ horsepower through them with no issues). I tend to suspect that those diffs which have broken on stock power were launched hard several times. But I cannot account for any actual cases of this. Others with more knowledge on the issue have told me that it's a bit of a wild card, and you just have to drive it till it breaks or you find some excuse to upgrade the rear end.

The stock wheel and tire sizes are getting outdated. If you want great tires for these cars, you'll most likely have to shell out $300-$2000 for a set of wheels (depending on if you can live with "replicas" or if you want something more performance oriented/lightweight/forged, etc). There are not a lot of options for 17" high performance tires in the market anymore, and they seem to be getting fewer as time goes by.

The "stock" replacement clutch is now the LS7, I believe, and it is easy to come by, so no worries there... at least for now. It is rated for much more power than the LS1, but it drives more or less like a "stock" clutch should.

On the bright side, there is an abundant after market for these cars, whether you want to build a hot rod or are just looking for OEM equivalent parts. In a lot of cases, an upgrade will cost you no more than the stock/replacement part.

As for other wear items, the brakes are more or less generic. Any number of brake manufacturers makes plenty of choices for you.

If I were in the market for one of these cars right now (knowing what I know now), I'd hope to find the following:

A 2001 or 2002 (comes with LS6 intake, EGR delete and stronger 2nd gear)

All major maintenance done.

A new (LS7) clutch (it has room to grow beyond stock horsepower)

18" or 19" wheels (fitment should not require modification) so that I can mount modern performance tires.

And since I'm dreaming here, the car would already have a 12-bolt or 9-inch rear end.

That is my short list of what I would consider "worthwhile" mods that might make the car command a higher price (if I'm the one paying for it).

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

You don't need 18 or 19" wheels to mount modern tires lol there are modern tires in 17s and they are vastly cheaper.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Yes, there are tires available in 17s.

What I was getting at was that the "best" tires (as tested/reviewed in the media) tend to be designed for more modern wheel sizes, and today's muscle/sports cars are coming with 19" and 20" wheels. As for what is available in 17 today, I'd probably go with Continental Extreme Contacts. Other than that, you're looking at some pretty low tread life and lack luster wet traction (as far as I understand it).
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Black/ Silver

Pretty much everything that's available in those sizes is available in a 17 or even better actual. For street tires I'd go with Nittos or Continentals. I'd stay away from 19s and 20s super expensive and not all sizes are available for all brands. When I was searching for wheels I actually found 19 and 20s to be quite limited. 17 and 18s there were a plethora of tires and sizes to choose from.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Yeah. I went with 18s so I could get the Michelins. My car is a street car primarily with some occasional canyon carving. I'm not really into drag racing, so the Nittos don't suit me (nor do the MTs).

Black/ Silver

Ah yeah that makes sense my TA is a racecar so lol. My Vette is my daily. The Vette has BFG KDW on it which are nice.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by denegrader View Post
    DSC00557.jpg
    V.ats, Are these dependable??? Will the motor and tranny rear end and clutch reach high miles like 200,000 w/ stock condition and driven normal??
    Are 4th gens still popular and sought after? Will smog probs plague them in California after 100,000 miles?? Hartops are rare and more valuable?
    Are the 2009 Camaro ss's any better engineering wise for dependability? Let me know if they can be worth driving maintining into the future or just be another old worthless car?
    As with any car, proper and routine maintenance(typical oil change, tune up, etc...)and care will usually dictate the life of your vehicle.

Having said that, several years back(around 2010ish), the first LS1 F-Body I purchased was a bone stock 1999 Camaro Z28, A4, with around 150,xxx miles. I drove the piss out of that thing and it handled it well(I was always up to date on oil changes, routine maintenance, etc...). I owned, and daily drove it for a little over 4 and a half years and put a decent chunk of mileage on it during that time. During that period, I only had a few small issues, excluding one fairly decent sized pain in the ass replacement, with it.

When I first purchased it, it had an electrical problem(radio/power locks/windows issues). Turns out, my BCM(Body Control Module), was toast. So, I replaced that(simple, pretty straightforward replacement-behind the passenger side glove box). Also, as with any Fourth Gen F-Body, I had to replace a couple window motors(two drivers side, one passenger side). Nothing to bad.

The biggest issue(referring to the "decent sized pain in the ass replacement" comment above), was when my fuel pump finally went out on me at around 225,xxx miles. I'm not sure if you're aware or not, but the pumps are "in tank" in these cars. Meaning the fuel pump is located in the gas tank itself. I had to cut off the muffler a foot before the rear axle, in order to get to, and drop the fuel tank to replace the pump. I'm not a fan of cutting unnecessary holes in my vehicles, which is why I didn't even think about doing the "trap door method"(basically where you cut a hole in the vehicle behind the backseat to access the tank and pump from the top).

All in all, the way I did it wasn't too bad. Plus, I took pride in replacing it myself(probably a simple repair to other members on here, but at the time, it was the biggest, most expensive, time consuming, repair I'd ever tackled and completed on a vehicle). I got it done in 3 days. Using a buddy's shop, tools, etc. Only took that long because I was only able to work on it a few hours at a time after I had gotten off work in the evening

Aside from those few issues, it was a great car. Loads of fun to drive, and always got compliments on it everywhere I went.

Daily drove it for another couple years before I sold it with around 260,xxx miles on it. Still pulling hard(when I got on it, which was fairly often, and purring like a kitten at idle, and during cruising speeds).

I've got another buddy who also has a high mileage daily driven Fourth Gen F-Body. His is a 2002 Trans Am, M6, with around 240,xxx miles on it. Aside from a few expected window motors, I think the only thing he's had to replace was a clutch or two. His is fairly stock(he's got headers, lid, exhaust, and a few suspension mods). My only mods I did to mine were a drop in K and N air filter, and a Flowmaster Super 40 exhaust, shortly after I purchased it.

Hope this helps with at least one, or a few of your answers.

Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by denegrader View Post
    DSC00557.jpg
    As with any car, proper and routine maintenance(typical oil change, tune up, etc...)and care will usually dictate the life of your vehicle.

Having said that, several years back(around 2010ish), the first LS1 F-Body I purchased was a bone stock 1999 Camaro Z28, A4, with around 150,xxx miles. I drove the piss out of that thing and it handled it well(I was always up to date on oil changes, routine maintenance, etc...). I owned, and daily drove it for a little over 4 and a half years and put a decent chunk of mileage on it during that time. During that period, I only had a few small issues, excluding one fairly decent sized pain in the ass replacement, with it.

When I first purchased it, it had an electrical problem(radio/power locks/windows issues). Turns out, my BCM(Body Control Module), was toast. So, I replaced that(simple, pretty straightforward replacement-behind the passenger side glove box). Also, as with any Fourth Gen F-Body, I had to replace a couple window motors(two drivers side, one passenger side). Nothing to bad.

The biggest issue(referring to the "decent sized pain in the ass replacement" comment above), was when my fuel pump finally went out on me at around 225,xxx miles. I'm not sure if you're aware or not, but the pumps are "in tank" in these cars. Meaning the fuel pump is located in the gas tank itself. I had to cut off the muffler a foot before the rear axle, in order to get to, and drop the fuel tank to replace the pump. I'm not a fan of cutting unnecessary holes in my vehicles, which is why I didn't even think about doing the "trap door method"(basically where you cut a hole in the vehicle behind the backseat to access the tank and pump from the top).

All in all, the way I did it wasn't too bad. Plus, I took pride in replacing it myself(probably a simple repair to other members on here, but at the time, it was the biggest, most expensive, time consuming, repair I'd ever tackled and completed on a vehicle). I got it done in 3 days. Using a buddy's shop, tools, etc. Only took that long because I was only able to work on it a few hours at a time after I had gotten off work in the evening

Aside from those few issues, it was a great car. Loads of fun to drive, and always got compliments on it everywhere I went.

Daily drove it for another couple years before I sold it with around 260,xxx miles on it. Still pulling hard(when I got on it, which was fairly often, and purring like a kitten at idle, and during cruising speeds).

I've got another buddy who also has a high mileage daily driven Fourth Gen F-Body. His is a 2002 Trans Am, M6, with around 240,xxx miles on it. Aside from a few expected window motors, I think the only thing he's had to replace was a clutch or two. His is fairly stock(he's got headers, lid, exhaust, and a few suspension mods). My only mods I did to mine were a drop in K and N air filter, and a Flowmaster Super 40 exhaust, shortly after I purchased it.

Hope this helps with at least one, or a few of your answers.

Good luck.
    [<a href=http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn249/brotrippin/null-28.jpg target=_blank>http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...in/null-28.jpg</a>/SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Thread Information