Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    2010 Black Camaro 2SS

160 Thermostat CONTROVERSY!!

So I live in the hott as balls city of phoenix (tempe actually) where we have already hit triple digit temps..I have a 160 stat for my car and some of the performance shops out here have said it is a BAD idea because having a 160 stat will keep it open all or most of the time never allowing it to cool down...my friends dad is mechanic for like 20 years said the same thing, a performance shop that specializes in stang and f body aftermarket shit said the same...another f body peformance shop said they install tons of 160's

any input would be awesome...when the temp hits 110+ i want the best possible set up

Black
    1999 WS-7 T/A

Thermo

I know that if you remove the thermostat completely it is real bad because the coolant doesn't have time to sit in the radiator and cool down. If your thermo is open all the time this would happen. I would put the stock one in just to be safe. Why fry an engine for minimal gains.
    Last edited by Mark8fish; 05-21-2008 at 05:59 AM. Reason: spelling

Black
    1999 Firebird Formula

There is merit to that. When I had a Mustang, I knew a few people who'd had overheats here in Florida when running a 160 thermostat, but were fine with 180s.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Go with a 180. They are best for our cars. The stock 195 is a little too hot, and 160 is way too cool. On a cold day, a 160 t-stat will prevent the engine from going into closed loop operation, since it enters closed loop at 165 degrees. That negatively impacts fuel economy, emissions, and it can set a code.

However, remember though, what ultimately determines the engine temperature is the setting at which the cooling fans turn on. Stock is somewhere around 210 I believe, so if you get a programmer or tune, you can turn it down to 180. That way the t-stat opens and the fans come on at the same time to keep the engine as cool as possible, which is especially important when sitting in traffic in the heat.

Black
    1999 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    On a cold day, a 160 t-stat will prevent the engine from going into closed loop operation, since it enters closed loop at 165 degrees. That negatively impacts fuel economy, emissions, and it can set a code.
    My roommate is swapping his 160 for a 180 right now for exactly that reason. It is preventing his 98 Z28 from going into closed loop, and we're in Florida.
    1999 Firebird Formula A4 GU2

| North Florida F-Body | JaxRacing | My Fquick Garage |

Black
    2002 Trans AM WS6

have the 180 with a hypertech tune. no probs

Black
    2010 Black Camaro 2SS

Thanks to all that have contributed I think I might just go with stock for now and sell or try and return/exchange my 160

white/yellow
    96/2010 camaro ss

how do you like living in arizona?

Black
    2010 Black Camaro 2SS

I used to live in st Louis mo wouldn't go back for all the money in the world

Black
    00 WS6

I had a 160 in my 93 T/A and the car would NEVER warm up.....it sucked.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I have a 160 and the fans tuned to come on earlier and my car works fine. Winter and summer.

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I have a 160 and the fans tuned to come on earlier and my car works fine. Winter and summer.

15 sec. Oh yeah, its fast UTVols98's Avatar

maroon
    2000 Z28

x2

black
    2000 ta

yep me 3. exept that i live in florida and don`t have much of a winter, lol

Cars not entering closed loop with a 160 stat is hogwash.

These things go into closed loop way before that, around the 120 to 130 degree range. Anyone with logging software can tell you that.

I run 160 stats in everything we own,,,including all the computer controlled cars,,,even the cars we drive here in Ohio winters,,,and they have had no ill affects on winter driving and still produce plenty of heat to defrost and keep you warm in the car....even with sub zero temps here.

Mustang Killer,,,,I am moving to Arizona in a few months from Ohio,,,,I would want that 160 stat more than ever.

If it makes the naysayers feel anybetter,,,,,the LS1 160 stats don't actually operate at 160 degrees. I've confirmed this with other LS tuners with software.
    If you actually log the temps,,,you can watch the crack open temp, and when the stat fully opens.

The 160 stats due to there design,,,don't crack open until about 172 degrees,,,,and fully open at about 174-175 degrees.
    With that said you can't really set the fans any lower. I have my fans set at 185 on and 180 off,,,,,so technically speaking,,,with the 160 stat the engine runs most of the time at 180 degrees or just under that a slight amount.

If I were you I'd go for the 160 because of the operating range of it. There are also other benefits as well. Those that run automatic transmissions are also rewarded with cooler trans temps,,,which we all no high trans temps is the #1 killer of the automatic. Everything under the hood stays cooler as well, it's just a win, win situation with no ill affects on gas mileage or otherwise.

10's N/A

I've ran 160 stats in all of the 8 f-bodies i've owned and never had a problem. The only issue I do notice is a slight decrease in fuel mileage over the stock stat due to the cooler temps. Other than that, no problems whatsoever.
    Last edited by N20LT4; 05-22-2008 at 02:16 PM.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

160 here.

red
    2000 ss

i just moved from buffalo to atlanta... ive read in my owners manuel that the prev owner aparently installed a 160 stat? but thats just what u wrote in there. how can i tell by lookin at the therm? i know i could just read the guage in the car but i cant tell exactly what temp it operates at when running? help plz

Approver of Threads SpecterGT260's Avatar

Blacked out
    '98 Trans Am

+1 with everyone else. my car actually runs like poo unless i let it warm up. I have the stock thermo (because i accidentally bought a GTO thermo this winter.... and ill ship it to someone if they just wanna pay shipping) but at i wouldnt do below 180 deg.

Quote Originally Posted by redss2000 View Post
    i just moved from buffalo to atlanta... ive read in my owners manuel that the prev owner aparently installed a 160 stat? but thats just what u wrote in there. how can i tell by lookin at the therm? i know i could just read the guage in the car but i cant tell exactly what temp it operates at when running? help plz
    There are no markings at all on the thermostats like the older styles do,,, So the only way to tell is with logging software or a scan tool.

Gauge in the car won't tell you much of anything,,,except when the car is overheating, anything inbetween the gauge is useless..

You'll have to go for a drive and watch the scanner,,,you can see when the stat will crack open,,,as temps will settle a bit and drop 1-2 degrees,,,,then after a minute or so the temps will slowly rise another 3-4 degrees and stabilize,,,this is where the stat has fully opened.
    From here you can reprogram your fan settings to get the most out of the thermostat. Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information