Black
    2001 Trans Am Ws6

1 chambers vs. bullets

I plan on going the true dual route for my exhaust. I am going to have longtubes, not cats, and h pipe all the way out the back. However, I am torn between flowmaster 1 chambers and dynomax bullets. Is there that much of a difference between them sound, rasp, and resonance wise. I have been to Ls1sounds, but want some actual input.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

They do sound different. The one chambers have a better tone but they cost more.
    If money is not a problem i would get the 1 chambers

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

well dont get the flowmasters.. get hooker or magnaflow as far as the one chambers go because the flowmasters suck on our cars. The one chambers will be louder at an idle than the bullets will be however the bullets will get much louder as your rpms climb whereas the one chambers will change pitch a little but not really get any louder. I checked this myself when comparing my SLP LM (bullet muffler) to my freinds one chamber flowmaster using a decible reader. Not exactly professional grade but surprisingly accurate.

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    well dont get the flowmasters.. get hooker or magnaflow as far as the one chambers go because the flowmasters suck on our cars. The one chambers will be louder at an idle than the bullets will be however the bullets will get much louder as your rpms climb whereas the one chambers will change pitch a little but not really get any louder. I checked this myself when comparing my SLP LM (bullet muffler) to my freinds one chamber flowmaster using a decible reader. Not exactly professional grade but surprisingly accurate.
    Interesting testing process.... I shoulda done that when i changed my muffs from 1 chambers to the bullets.....But i will say the TSP rumbler bullets i have i cant get enuff of them i get compliments all the time.... Just my .02

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

The bullets will be very loud. The flowmasters will tone it down quite a bit.
    The funny thing about Flowmaster and F-Bodys is that everyone is under the impression that they suck. This is only due to the transverse mounted muffler. Single in/out mufflers are a different story. No, they do not flow as good as bullets, but they flow a hell of a lot better than the transverse muffler.

If you want a muffler similar to the sound of a flowmaster transverse mounted muff or single in/out, go w/ a Pypes System. It outflows it and sounds very similar but much more aggressive.

Black
    2001 Trans Am Ws6

I want very loud, but I also want a deep sound too.

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

If you read his post he is doing a dual setup so won't be using the typical crossflow Flowmaster. Flowmaster doesn't suck, only the f-body muffler doesn't flow as well as some of the more open systems. Depending on his engine setup I would say the savaging effect from the 1 chambers will give you better performace. The drone while cruising will be horrible! But you do plan to have an H-pipe right? You might want to check with members here to find out just how far from the headers it should be for optimal performace.

Black
    2001 Trans Am Ws6

Which one has more drone. I am assuming the bullets do, but I am not for sure

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Deaton52 View Post
    Which one has more drone. I am assuming the bullets do, but I am not for sure
    1 chambers

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

I don't have headers or x pipe yet but I do have Flomaster 1 chambers and gutted cats on true duals. It's definately loud. Much louder than when I just cut the muffler off while I still had cats. I got no complaints on them. I dont even have turndowns they just shoot out the back. Nice deep loud sound. No rasp. Cruising rpm's though aren't that loud. But put it this way Cars in front of you will hear you comming. I didnt realize mine were that loud until I was test driving my brothers truck and had him follow in my car. I'll try to get an audio clip up if I can (stupid dial up). Mine has the 1.85 rockers and Z06 valve springs and pops a little comming off the throttle now but it didn't do that until the rocker swap. I even scared away a mid 90's GT the other day with them. Poor soul he thought his little growl was something.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Most Flowmasters do suck. Only the one chambers are worth a damn. The rest all flow like shit. I would personally go with the 1 chambers or chambered mufflers with duals.

Black
    2001 Trans Am Ws6

Should I possibly go with sweet thunders then

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

To be honest, I care more about sound than flow!

Black
    2001 Trans Am Ws6

So do I. I am just trying to get a really loud and agressive tone.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Then go Flowmaster 1 chamber dumped, you'll not be dissapointed.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

If your still stuck on which muffler to go with, go to www.ls1sounds.com and listen to the different setups there.

Black
    2001 Trans Am Ws6

I have been to ls1sounds as I stated in the original post. I am just wanting some real word input on the mufflers since the videos usually do not do the exhaust justice. I may sound better in real life than on the clip or it may sound worse.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Sorry, I guess I missed that part. I've personally heard a dual setup with single chamber flows and a h-pipe and thought it sounded awesome, had a real good musclecar sound to it. It was cammed, so that helped with the lope sound.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I would also vote for the 1 chambers!!! Make sure they are the 10" case ones and NOT the 13" if you want the most agressive.
    FlowMasters ALWAYS with H pipes.
    I would NOT run a tailpipe if you want that true mean sound!!
    Also if you put a tailpipe on those 1 chambers it will make it resonate VERY bad which I can't stand myself.
    Put a pair of turndowns facing towards the outside of the car and it will help with the sound you want and aid in NOT blowing dust like crazy if they were pointing staright down.
    If you only tack the turn downs at first playing with then placement will actually change the sound.
    On high compression cars we point them at eachother which quites them down some cause they fire at eachother. Kind of a cancelling effect.
    Compression with FLOWMASTERS changes the sound a graet deal.

If you had a X pipe I would say go with the bullets.

Thats my 2 cents.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Thread Information