Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

1 3/4 or 1 7/8 whats better?

I got some hooker lt 1 3/4 headers and now I'm wondering if they are too much for a basically stock car you guys know way more than I do so let me know what you think differences in the two besides size of course...thanks for the help

S.O.M.
    2002 camaro

1 3/4 are perfect for a stock or even a head/cam/intake car. 1 7/8 are for when you get into bigger cubic inch motors like 402ci/408ci. i would stick with the 1 3/4 or you will loose a lot of low end and midrange power. hope this helps man

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by sixpack_2_go View Post
    1 3/4 are perfect for a stock or even a head/cam/intake car. 1 7/8 are for when you get into bigger cubic inch motors like 402ci/408ci. i would stick with the 1 3/4 or you will loose a lot of low end and midrange power. hope this helps man
    it sure does...thanks alot! I got the hooker 1 3/4's and the hooker y i hope it sounds good. I just was curious cause this y pipe is huge and i figured i wouldnt have any back pressure with a 3" y and borla 3" cat back

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

1 7/8 works fine too just stay 3" max on the exhaust unless your goin lots more hp

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird0230 View Post
    1 7/8 works fine too just stay 3" max on the exhaust unless your goin lots more hp
    Ya i'm not going to do anything else with the exhaust its costing me enough this far haha. I just hope it all works out doing these headers and y pipe. I dont see how i'll have clearance with the size of that y its a beast compared to stock

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Go with 1 7/8's. I would love to see someone post up a good informative, non biased, back to back dyno run comparing the two. Your not going to lose any power/torque down low with 1 7/8's, but there is a better chance you gain power up top with the 1 7/8".

1 7/8's.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

I got 1 7/8 headers and a dyno vid in the firebirdsection under "got her on the dyno" but I also have an ory and catback. Not sure what route op is taking

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

So basically this topic goes either way it seems

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Not necessarily, I think 1 7/8" are better all around. They can be used fine on stock motor and you'll be set for future mods. You might lose a little on the bottom but up top will make up for it.

There are more 1 3/4" options for you so either way it will add power. Up to u man

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I asked the samething when I was buying headers for my GTO. I went with 1 7/8 since I was planning to do a H/C change in the future. Right now I just have the headers and a Corsa Touring catback () and the car runs fine. If you race the car at the track you might be able to feel the loss of torque down low but most people probably can't tell the difference. If I buy a set for my T/A it will be the 1 3/4 because I don't see much more happening with the car. I would go for the bigger set if you plan on modding the car a bunch. Just my .02.

Scott

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I went with 1-7/8" Kooks on our car. No serious plans for a head or cam upgrade as of yet. But I am running a catted Y and felt it best to have a little extra volume since my exhaust is more restrictive compared to an ORY. Does that make sense?

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I went with 1-7/8" Kooks on our car. No serious plans for a head or cam upgrade as of yet. But I am running a catted Y and felt it best to have a little extra volume since my exhaust is more restrictive compared to an ORY. Does that make sense?
    Sure does...basically stock motor no cats go smaller 1 3/4 I appreciate it now the fun part of installing it haha doing eibach pro kit with bilsteins this weekend then tackle the headers next weekend oh boy

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Go 1 7/8.
    Dynoed my numbers in sig, with 1 7/8s kooks, filter, tune on a mustang dyno.
    12.89 108 2.0
    331whp 338rwtq

LLk

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Your not going to lose any power/torque down low with 1 7/8's
    I do believe it will suffer a LITTLE bit in the lower RPM's....when compared to the 1 3/4 primaries.
    Nothing noticeable though.

Regardless, you will gain power across the board when compared to the factory manifolds.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I do believe it will suffer a LITTLE bit in the lower RPM's....when compared to the 1 3/4 primaries.

Regardless, you will gain power across the board when compared to the factory manifolds.
    That's all I need haha I just want to get it in the 12's ill be happy with that for now till winter

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

Dyno results with 1 3/4 Kooks headers.

- Lid / Filter
    - catted y with GMMG cat -back
    - Ported stock TB

341.6hp 350tq tuned w/ Mustang dyno

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post

I'll agree, the velocity is obviously going to be slightly slower with the larger pipe... it will be completely unnoticeable as you said.

This is a pretty dang good 1 3/4 vs 1 7/8 header dyno graph overlay. Car's in question are both 08 vettes with the LS3 engine. Trying to decide which header is which on the lower RPM's would be near impossible. Besides exhuast, they are completely stock. Both have a catted X pipe as well of the same brand.

Really a moot point in then end, but I will stay with my 1 7/8's

You are right HiPo.

There was a back to back dyno comparison on this a few years back on a stock LS1 that a magazine test ran. I'm sure if you google, it can be found. I just suck at that. I know it's out there, since someone here asked to see it.

But I do remember the LS1 performed better accross the board with the 1 7/8 headers, and didn't show any loss down low, but only a slight gain up top.
    Showed the LS1 really liked the larger headers, even in stock form.

An even better approach would be a stepped header (1 3/4 to 1 7/8) and I'm willing to bet those are out there made by someone too.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    I'll agree, the velocity is obviously going to be slightly slower with the larger pipe... it will be completely unnoticeable as you said.

This is a pretty dang good 1 3/4 vs 1 7/8 header dyno graph overlay. Car's in question are both 08 vettes with the LS3 engine. Trying to decide which header is which on the lower RPM's would be near impossible. Besides exhuast, they are completely stock. Both have a catted X pipe as well of the same brand.

Click for full size

Really a moot point in then end, but I will stay with my 1 7/8's
    EXCELLENT POST To OP, go 1 7/8's.....I wish I would have the first time
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

S.O.M.
    2002 camaro

this comparison does not relate to a stock 346ci ls1. It was done on a larger cube motor(ls3 376ci)..thats why this motor did not lose any low end! You guys need to understand that bigger is not always better! motor building is a science...you don't just throw the biggest stuff you can find on a stock cube motor... if that was the case we would all run 5" primaries

Quote Originally Posted by hi-po View Post
    i'll agree, the velocity is obviously going to be slightly slower with the larger pipe... It will be completely unnoticeable as you said.

This is a pretty dang good 1 3/4 vs 1 7/8 header dyno graph overlay. Car's in question are both 08 vettes with the ls3 engine. Trying to decide which header is which on the lower rpm's would be near impossible. Besides exhuast, they are completely stock. Both have a catted x pipe as well of the same brand.

Click for full size

really a moot point in then end, but i will stay with my 1 7/8's
    Last edited by sixpack_2_go; 05-11-2010 at 02:16 PM.

Thread Information