Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

$400 for Magnaflow cat back installed?

Went to a muffler shop yesterday, comes highly recommended on Google/Yelp. Guy said $400 for a Magnaflow installed.

Does that sound right? I have a Magnaflow on there now, but it's all busted up and needs replacement badly. I know that just the parts for the cat-back system run $550 or more if I were to procure them myself.

Do exhaust shops tend to save money by fabbing their own piping... or have I found something too good to be true?

black
    78 z28

yes the cost of them bending the pipe is much less and if they're good it won't take them long I work at meineke...also are you running duals or y-pupe setup

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I'll be doing y-pipe... though I'm tempted to have my cats gutted (not sure if they'll do it, though, and I wouldn't want to put them in a compromised position).

They said it would take about 1 to 2 hours from start to finish. I'm thinking about having it done soon. Wanted to get shocks, but this muffler (and piping) is so beat up that it just needs to go.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

black
    78 z28

most shops won't bc they can get hit with like a 30k fine and you would be fined also like 10k for tampering with cats. I'll ask my guy at work tomorrow how much we would charge for similar work see if they're close

black
    78 z28

also would you be supplying mufflers or getting them through the shop doing the work

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

They said 1 day notice to get the muffler. I'm not sure what all parts they order from Magnaflow, but if they're doing their own piping, it would seem like the muffler is all they'd need. Maybe the tail pipes/tips as well... ?

black
    78 z28

tails they should make if they're fabbing the system and tips most exhaust shops have a variety to choose from there. we actually carry MagnaFlow at the shop at all times and if our guy is making a system he'll literally make everything flanges and all...he said anywhere from 399 to 500 is about right for the system

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Wow...I paid $125 for my 3" in/2.5 dual out Magnaflow and only $100 for them to weld up from the merge of the Y pipe to the 3" tips ($65) even had them weld in a new O2 bung for the wideband and weld in the cutout in that price.

AL like the Honey Badger....doesn't give 2 F's about CATS...I've been cat free sine I put LT headers on in 09'

black
    78 z28

damn haha that's awesome yea I'm in jersey we get the shit end of everything

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

That's why all my mom's family left Jersey for Texas

black
    78 z28

I was stationed at ft bliss for a few months also trained out of camp McGregor in new Mexico for my deployment back in 2011

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I got some clarification from the exhaust shop. I guess what they do is a Magnaflow "OEM replacement" muffler, rather than the "performance" one I have on there now. They quoted me $630 parts and labor for a like for like swap ($550 parts plus $80 labor). At that rate, I'm a little leery about putting on "factory" stuff behind my already restrictive exhaust manifolds.

Anyone have any idea what my car would run like with the basic replacement muffler?

At $550 for the Magnaflow I already have, I'm tempted to drop an extra $75 and get the GMMG/Madhammer exhaust.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Darren has the GMMG/Mad Hammer setup on his car. With stock manifolds, cats and Y it sounds incredible. Don't tell anyone I said this, but I even like it better than my Magnaflow... at least until I flip the switch on the cutout.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Yeah. I really like the sound of the gmmg. But I also like the relatively quite rumble of the Magnaflow, and don't want to introduce too much more noise. I remember the difference after getting the heads and cam: it was obnoxiously loud (for my tastes), though I have since acclimated to the noise.

Due to the urgency I feel about replacing the exhaust (it's in a sad, sad state right now), I may just pull the trigger on this $400 deal and when I have the "luxury" of extra cash, go for the gmmg.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That works. BTW, we'll be heading your way mid-November. Anything car-related going on in the Tucson area?

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Tucson? Not sure. Out here in Phoenix there is a Saturday night "car show" (that's what we call it) over at Scottsdale pavilions. It's every Saturday and everything you can imagine tends to show up (a few super nice cars like Ferraris and such do show up, but not in quantities like you'd see at cars and coffee). It's a big mix of old and new "specialty" cars (lots of old muscle, new muscle, imports, sports cars, etc). I believe there is also a Wednesday night deal similar to the Scottsdale one but in Glendale. Though I've never been to that one.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Had cats tested. They are flowing just fine. Also learned that my O2s have been tuned out, so..... yeah.

If that is the case, would the computer detect a misfire? If I understand correctly, the misfire is picked up by the combination of front and rear O2s... or is it just the fronts?

I'm beginning to think that a catch can will be the answer to the sputter problem (if oil is getting into the manifold/cylinder).

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Just drove back from the exhaust shop. Since I had a 3" cat back on there already, they reused the piping that was good, and I saved $100. So now I can put that toward a catch can! Woohoo!

Also, seems that the sputter may have been corrected by the replacement of the cat-back as well. I'm not sure because I haven't put the car through it's paces yet, but will probably find out on my way to work next week.

Also, it seems as though a few of my under-car clunks are gone, too. The tech at the shop noted that they would re-fit the piping because as it was, some of it had very little clearance with parts of the underbody/suspension, etc.

Also, this is kind of a trade-off... the exhaust is MUCH, MUCH quieter. It's almost sounds airy and whispy. At WOT it's not too bad, but the throaty grumble at idle is definitely gone. This is kinda good because I don't like my car to be obnoxiously loud. Though there is something to be said for the rumble of a nice exhaust.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Front O2's are what provide feedback to the PCM. The rear O2's simply let the PCM know if the cats are working properly. Rear O2's can be tuned out without affecting how the engine fuels.

For some reason I thought you were down by Tucson. We'll probably be up around Phoenix at some point in our travels.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Well, Firebird is between PHX and Tucson if hope to get in some passes while you're out here.

Thread Information