Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do???

Millenium Yellow
    2002 Coupe

Thumbs up What to do???

Hey guys..I have a dilema and I need some direction. I bought my 02 Corvette coupe last Sept. and now I'm looking to put about $2200.00 into it. Do I install heads and a cam or save up for a supercharger. I just bought TSP headers and X-Pipe. Thanks for your opinions!!

Tim

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I vote heads cam.

Millenium Yellow
    2002 Coupe

Thanks Hi-Po.. I'm leaning that way myself. I just ordered headers from TSP yesterday and we'll see what happens.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

I vote supercharger. It fits the vette. I just bought an 02 Z06 last month Myself. I put the boltons on the F-body I think the vette deserves quieter power. No loud ass headers on mine.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

Black
    2002 WS6 TA

STS twin turbo! wow! what a monster. my friend has it on his c5 damn fast 10's!. super clean power awsome sound. worth the money. they make a single kit also, thats what going on the TA next. check there web sight, you'll believe.

black silver
    99 z28, 81 z28

turbo

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblackws6 View Post
    STS twin turbo! wow! what a monster. my friend has it on his c5 damn fast 10's!. super clean power awsome sound. worth the money. they make a single kit also, thats what going on the TA next. check there web sight, you'll believe.
    thats my next mod, sts rear mount on my 99 z28 i cant wait.

Jet Stream Blue
    2009 Lingenfelter ZR1

go with a good set of blower heads and a blower cam. Then next round, go with a blower. Power in steps is fun too!

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

For $2200.00 I doubt that will cover a blower set-up, but if that's in your future, you may want to go with a heads and cam set-up for a blower (low-compression), the downside is that with the low compression set-up without the blower, the car won't feel as fast as if it had a regular H/C set up

Black
    2002 WS6 TA

Do a cam and springs for your $. your heads are fine for now. like Goose said you'll feel like it slowed down or very little improvement with out the blower on lower comp heads. then do the turbo (or blower if you must) down the road when you save the up $. the headers/ exhaust /cam will wake that vette up. then when you want to run some mad boost, lower the compression with some hi-flow heads. do steps like said before, just do them the most logical direction. go here http://www.ststurbo.com/ read it, i know its there opinion and they want you to buy there stuff but the info is great food for thought. if you're a smart guy you'll take from it what you want.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

my vote goes towards heads and cam.......I'm a sucker for a choppy idle.

Black
    2002 WS6 TA

cross your plug wires if you want a choppy idle

yellow
    02 vette

Supercharger! There are lots of complete used systems for sale cheap. Like around 3 grand. Keep your eyes open here and on the Corvetteforum FS. Unless you are certainyou want huge power down the road setting up with lower compression and a blower cam is maybe not a good investment. These intercooled C5 kits make 500hp without even headers and over 500rwhp with just minor additional mods.
    Last edited by nuck; 05-25-2008 at 12:36 PM.

Millenium Yellow
    2002 Coupe

Well..I think I'm going the route of supercharger..I've already installed a set of TSP headers with the off road x-pipe and now I have a Diablo sport tuner coming this week. What other mods would I need for 500 RWHP?

yellow
    02 vette

Quote Originally Posted by tims02 View Post
    Well..I think I'm going the route of supercharger..I've already installed a set of TSP headers with the off road x-pipe and now I have a Diablo sport tuner coming this week. What other mods would I need for 500 RWHP?
    A 7psi Procharger or Vortech and you are there!

Millenium Yellow
    2002 Coupe

Thats it?? I'm all over that. Whats the true potential of a Procharger on a stock bottom end LS1 though?

yellow
    02 vette

Quote Originally Posted by tims02 View Post
    Thats it?? I'm all over that. Whats the true potential of a Procharger on a stock bottom end LS1 though?
    About 500 and change with 7 psi and headers. There are people running 600 with meth injection and a cam. The 02 has the LS6 intake and bottom end. The fuel pump is supposed to be iffy much over 550RWHP but that isn't a costly upgrade. I expect mine to be around 530-540 on headers, blower cam, x pipe and upgraded injectors at 8psi.
    You can grenade these things at 7psi too but there isn't much evidence it is a risk at that level if properly tuned.

Millenium Yellow
    2002 Coupe

Nuck..What cam are you running with your setup? I was thinking of getting the AFR 225 heads and a blower cam but wasn't sure of what size to really go with. By time you read the threads from here you're more confussed than when you started.

Black
    2003 Z06

i would do cam and exhaust\! if its a 6 speed you will need a clutch!

yellow
    02 vette

I have a mystery cam. I am the cars second owner and the specs for the cam were lost by the builder. Much better grinds out now than a couple of years ago in any case. Heads are not a popular mod for FI, at least to 600rwhp but cam and valvetrain for sure because the higher you rev the more you boost.
    I totally agree with AZZ06 about the clutch. The blown motor will eat a stock LS1 clutch. I am running a late Z06 clutch which is the minimum unit for the job. Check out the corvetteforum.com forced induction forum for info on cam choices, and also check out the various setups people are using to reach their power goals.
    Once you get up over 500rwhp traction becomes a huge issue for street rubber and you have to look at what you want to use the car for. I have no interest in tracking my car so anything over 550rwhp is kind of pointless for me. On that basis I can meet all my goals without heads, a stout cam, or even meth injection but I may add meth or an i/c upgrade as a bit of insurance. Lots of guys are well over 500rwhp with the stock cam but that is where meth or intercooler upgrades come in.

Millenium Yellow
    2002 Coupe

Well unfortunately I have an A4 so I'm looking into a stall somewhere between 3500-4000 rpm. I also have the TSP headers with the off road x-pipe without cats and a borla stinger cat back.

Thread Information